#1 Ken McRae

Ken McRae

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 582 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 30 April 2006 - 06:49 PM

A while back I contacted the St. Vladimir Orthodox Theological Seminary and asked them if they would consider starting a theological correspondence program online. They declined saying it was not possible. Today I was searching for some detailed texts online about the Toll-House tradition, and discovered that Holy Trinity Seminary is offering an Internet program almost identical to the one I had hoped SVOTS would consider offering. Many excellent theological works are available at the Holy Trinity Orthodox School website for free downloading! Just click the 'Textbooks' Icon:- >> http://www.holytrini...n.org/index.php <<

#2 Father David Moser

Father David Moser

• Moderators
  • 3,581 posts
  • Verified Cleric

Posted 01 May 2006 - 12:46 AM

Holy Trinity Seminary does indeed have a correspondence course, but this is not it. The website you found was established by Bishop Alexander Mileant (+2005). Although the website still exists and is quite valuable for the library, the school is kind of "on hold" (due to Bishop Alexander's repose). I am certain that the status of the school is something that will be looked at in the near future by the Synod of Bishops.

However, if you are looking for a good quality online distance learning seminary program let me encourage you to look at the Pastoral School of the Midwest Diocese of ROCOR http://www.orthodoxt...icalschool.org/ This school is just finishing its first full year and is quite rigorous.

Fr David

#3 Ken McRae

Ken McRae

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 582 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 12:18 AM

Holy Trinity Seminary does indeed have a correspondence course, but this is not it.

Sincere thanks Fr. David for the correction and re-direction. "Quite rigorous" sounds good!! I have'nt checked the curriculum yet, but I'm wondering about language requirements? How much of the program, if any, involves language studies and which languages? Thanks.

#4 Father David Moser

Father David Moser

• Moderators
  • 3,581 posts
  • Verified Cleric

Posted 03 May 2006 - 05:23 PM

I'm wondering about language requirements? How much of the program, if any, involves language studies and which languages? Thanks.

At this juncture, the only language requirement is a demonstrated conversational ability in Russian (equivalent to a two year collegate level course) and the ability to read/sing Slavonic. Remember this is not a full blown seminary, but rather a pastoral school for the training of clergy who are unable to attend seminary (late vocations, etc) or for laymen who wish to know more.

Fr David

#5 Theopesta

Theopesta

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 04 May 2006 - 08:08 PM

father david

please I do not how to find the cources of the www.orthodoxtheologicalschool.org/studentarea.html

many thanks

#6 Father David Moser

Father David Moser

• Moderators
  • 3,581 posts
  • Verified Cleric

Posted 05 May 2006 - 03:35 PM

Certain portions of the website are open only to members - perhaps what you are looking for is there. I would suggest writing to Fr Martin, the school administrator, to ask for information. But don't expect a reply soon, he will be at the 4th All Diaspora Sobor of ROCOR (as will I) this coming week.

Fr David Moser

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users