#1 Pistevo

Pistevo

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 May 2006 - 03:41 AM

Christ is Risen!

An explicitly practical question:
I'm considering visiting St John the Baptist Monastery (Old Rectory Rd, Tolleshunt Knights, Maldon, Essex) at some point. Would someone be able to tell me (here or privately) how to physically get there from London?

Many thanks.

#2 Dcn Alexander Haig

Dcn Alexander Haig

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 323 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 14 May 2006 - 03:15 PM

Public transport is difficult, best to get the train from London Liverpool Street to Kelvedon (trains are quite frequent) and then a taxi the rest of the way (most taxi drivers know it simply as "The Monastery"). Train journey 40 mins (approx.) and costs £10 (approx.), taxi will be about £10 too.

For driving instructions, look at an online route planner (eg the AA) but basically go along the A12 away from London (towards Chelmsford, Colchester) and take the Kelvedon exit. Then follow signs to Tiptree, through Tiptree, following signs to Tolleshunt Knights and Tolleshunt D'Arcy. When you're in Tolleshunt Knights (the village), there's a turning on the right on a sharp (left-handed) bend with a small sign saying 'Monastery'. The Monastery's a little way down the road (when the road forks, go left, do NOT go down 'Blind Lane') - you'll know it when you see it. Parking's beyond the main monastery buildings, on the right.

Hope this helps.

With love in the Risen Christ

Alex

#3 Marinaki

Marinaki

Regular Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 17 May 2006 - 12:05 PM

I travel to the monastery by train all the time - although it can be expensive.
It's better to get off at Witham - even though this is farther away and a few quid extra on the cab fare. There are four trains an hour to Witham and just one an hour to Kelvedon. However, there are always cabs waiting outside the station at Witham, and there is a minicab office just across the road from Witham station. Kelvedon station is a bit isolated - and the cabs aren't always there. However, if you intend to cycle (also do-able) consider Kelvedon.
There is also an intermittent bus from Kelvedon that passes by the road at the back of the monastery, but you really have to intergrate bus and train times for this. If you call the monastery they should be able to provide you with any cab numbers and possibly tell you about the bus. Sometimes I call the cab company from my mobile as I'm getting on the train - and they usually know when the train will arrive and can meet you there.
I'm also generally lucky in that I usually get offered a lift to the station by someone visiting and sometimes get a lift back all the way to London.

#4 Denise King

Denise King

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 August 2006 - 09:47 AM

What is the best London airport to fly to to reach the monastery? Does the nuns' monastery accept guests for a few days? Whom should I contact to arrange a visit?

#5 Fr Seraphim (Black)

Fr Seraphim (Black)

Retired member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 25 August 2006 - 10:55 AM

Yes, of course, anyone may visit and stay, Orthodox or not, though Sacramental participation in the life of the Community will depend naturally on being Orthodox.

The best is to write to Sister Paula, who has managed the female guests for years.

Either Heathrow or Gatwick are the same. Heathrow is a bit quicker, being closer to Liverpool Street Station, though I usually find less expensive flights landing at Gatwick. There are trains every 15 minutes or so from Gatwick to Victoria, costing (last autumn, 13 Pounds Sterling).

From Victoria, (get a London Underground Tube Map) and proceed to Liverpool Street Station. Here trains run every half hour or so to Witham, Essex. Depart at Witham, and quite often the nuns will be waiting for you at Witham, if you have made proper arrangements, or you can take a taxi to the Monastery.

I agree with the Post above not to descend at Kelvedon, unless you are very familiar with the area and know how to proceed from there.

Thus, both Heathrow and Gatwick are relatively equal, depending on flight costs, and the contact is Sister Paula.

May our Lord bless your pilgrimage.

What is the best London airport to fly to to reach the monastery? Does the nuns' monastery accept guests for a few days? Whom should I contact to arrange a visit?

#6 Raouf

Raouf

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 August 2006 - 04:03 PM

I don't mean to change the subject but in reference to this monastery I greatly benefited from the talks of Archimandrite Zacharias Zacharou available from Orthodoxy Christian Cassettes. One can tell that he is a deeply humble man.

I wonder if anyone can recommend any other talks or books available by him?

Thank you.

In Christ,
Raouf

#7 Fr Seraphim (Black)

Fr Seraphim (Black)

Retired member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 25 August 2006 - 08:32 PM

So far his only published work, (an expansion of his doctoral thesis, 'The Actualisation of the Hypostatic Principle in the Theology of Archimandrite Sophrony' submitted at the Faculty of Theology, University of Thessalonica, in 1998) is: "Christ, Our Way and Our Life, a Presentation of the Theology of Archimandrite Sophrony"

It is published by Saint Tikhon's Seminary Press (ISBN: 1-878997-74-2).

It is a wonderful book, which I cannot over-recommend.

More recommendable is to see Father Zacharias and hear him speak.

In America, Saint Tikhon's often invites him. One can check through Professor Christopher Veniamin, for any possible up-coming schedule.

Those living in Cyprus are blessed to see more of him, as it is his homeland. He is often in Greece also.

Those very blessed to live in Great Britain only need to hop on a train.

Not only his thorough grasp of theology, deep love of his Elder, Father Sophrony and talks are exhilarating, his deep and wonderful humour is to be highly valued.

#8 Marinaki

Marinaki

Regular Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 26 August 2006 - 11:34 AM

From Germany you can get a cheap Ryanair flight (if you don't mind the environmental damage) to Stansted and it is a 20 min Taxi ride from there (it will cost about 40 pounds for the taxi). What you save on the fair you pay that way. However, given rail costs - especially from Heathrow Express to Paddington etc. It is certainly an option worth considering. If you speak with Sr. Pavla she can best advise you.

#9 Andreea

Andreea

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 October 2006 - 01:47 PM

I would like to go to St. John's monastery and stay a week or two, but, as far as I've understood, I have to make an appointment before, since there are so many requests for staying there. Would they receive me? Whom should I talk with and is it any phone number of the MonasterY?

Thank you and God bless you with joy!
Andreea

#10 Fr Seraphim (Black)

Fr Seraphim (Black)

Retired member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 20 October 2006 - 04:16 PM

Dear Andreea,

The telephone number is: 44-1621-81 64 71

The address as listed above is: The Monastery of Saint John the Baptist, Tolleshunt Knights by Maldon, Essex, CM9 8EZ, United Kingdom

For female guests, if you phone ask for Sister Paula. If you write, address the letter to Sister Paula.

Male guests should write Father Symeon, it is preferable not to phone him, as he is quite difficult to track down!

The Monastery is normally closed for the entire month of November, though there are exceptions.

Of course they will receive you!

May God bless your pilgrimage.

#11 Kris

Kris

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 20 October 2006 - 08:40 PM

For those who wish to contact the Monastery, here's the phone number; though I'm not sure its correct.
+44 (0)1621 816 471

#12 Rdr Andreas

Rdr Andreas

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,028 posts

Posted 20 October 2006 - 10:12 PM

Those planning to visit the monastery in Essex should also be aware (if they are not already) that the normal cycle of daily services is not observed. The Divine Liturgy is celebrated normally on Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday and Sunday. It is in English on weekdays and Saturdays. On Sunday there are normally two liturgies, the first mostly in Slavonic and the second in Greek and English. Monday to Friday, the Jesus Prayer is said for two hours, 6-8am in the morning (except Tuesdays and Thursdays) and in the evening, 5.30-7.30pm. I can tell you, that is not easy! There is an evening service on Saturday from 5pm-7.15pm, being Vespers and Matins. It is not easy to get to see Fr Zacharias or Fr Simeon but they are usually available for confession on Saturdays or by arrangement. I live 25 minutes' drive away and it still isn't easy! However, if someone has a need, then somehow, the fathers seem to appear and will see you.

#13 Andrew

Andrew

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 10:41 PM

This may seem like a strange question, but how could I mail a letter to the monastery from the states? How do you do international mail?

#14 Nina

Nina

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,149 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 01:46 AM

This may seem like a strange question, but how could I mail a letter to the monastery from the states? How do you do international mail?

Andrew,

The best way is to go to the post office and have them weigh and price the mail. They are extremely helpful at the post office.

#15 Andrew

Andrew

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 01:51 AM

Andrew,

The best way is to go to the post office and have them weigh and price the mail. They are extremely helpful at the post office.

Ah, ok. That's probably my best bet :)

#16 Andreea

Andreea

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 08:07 AM

He is risen indeed!

I have just returned from the Monastery. I would like by these means to thank all the people from this site who helped me with details in order to get there.

I understand that the easiest way to get to the Monastery is via Liverpool Street Station-Kelvedon as you have been already told. As for me, as Sr Paula advised me, I chose Stansted airport which is nearer to the monastery. From there you can take a taxi, which costs about 35 pounds or you can go by coach to Colchester and from there take a taxi, but the price is quite the same.

I can give you a telephone number of a taxi driver which knows very well how to get to the monastery:
Wayne's taxis
07742 466556
wmspriggs@aol.com.

However, the best thing is to talk to Sr. Paula.

I am sorry that I couldn't help you with many details, but may God bless your thought.

All the best,
Andreea

#17 Andreea

Andreea

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 08:14 AM

Christ is risen!

I am very glad to hear anything about Fr. Zacharias which is indeed a very profound man. I must say that I haven't met any other confesser as Fr. Zacharias, my words cannot describe the depthness and the delicacy of his soul.

I think you may already know that Fr. Zacharias published also the Enlargement of the heart, a wonderful book. There are also some Cds with his talks. I have an MP3 with some talks given on the Teology of St Silouane and Fr. Sophrony. if you are interesetd, I can send them to you.

Your blessings,
Andreea

#18 Nina

Nina

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,149 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 11:12 AM

Christ is risen!

I am very glad to hear anything about Fr. Zacharias which is indeed a very profound man. I must say that I haven't met any other confesser as Fr. Zacharias, my words cannot describe the depthness and the delicacy of his soul.

I think you may already know that Fr. Zacharias published also the Enlargement of the heart, a wonderful book. There are also some Cds with his talks. I have an MP3 with some talks given on the Teology of St Silouane and Fr. Sophrony. if you are interesetd, I can send them to you.

Your blessings,
Andreea

Yes!!! Please do submit the MP3 link. I am very interested.
Thank you for all the information you provided! :)

#19 Andrew

Andrew

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 06:05 PM

I second this! Please give us the link! :)

#20 Andreea

Andreea

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 12:51 PM

Thank you for receiving my thought with such enthousiasm! Unfortunately, the talks are not on the Internet, I have them on a Cd in MP3 format. If you are intersted, I cand send them to you by post or by mail, even if I do not know if the final variant can actually work. Maybe you can help me with this.

All my best, in Christ,
Andreea

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users