170 replies to this topic

#21 Nina

Nina

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,149 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 01:04 PM

Thank you for receiving my thought with such enthousiasm! Unfortunately, the talks are not on the Internet, I have them on a Cd in MP3 format. If you are intersted, I cand send them to you by post or by mail, even if I do not know if the final variant can actually work. Maybe you can help me with this.

All my best, in Christ,
Andreea

Giggles... Yes we are known for a lot of ardor on our side of the Earth village! (joking)
Really I was very thrilled by the idea you proposed dear sister in Christ, Andreea! I have heard lately so much about Father Zacharias, and it was a true gift to have you offer that. I will PM you (and maybe Andrew can contribute with any idea also) to see what is the easier way. It is very generous of you not only to offer the files, but also to offer to mail them, but let's see for an easier way. Thank you!!! :)

#22 Fr Seraphim (Black)

Fr Seraphim (Black)

Retired member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 20 April 2007 - 03:56 PM

Giggles... Yes we are known for a lot of ardor on our side of the Earth village! (joking)
Really I was very thrilled by the idea you proposed dear sister in Christ, Andreea! I have heard lately so much about Father Zacharias, and it was a true gift to have you offer that. I will PM you (and maybe Andrew can contribute with any idea also) to see what is the easier way. It is very generous of you not only to offer the files, but also to offer to mail them, but let's see for an easier way. Thank you!!! :)

I am more than grateful to our Lord to see the enthusiasm and love for Fr. Zacharias, for I laboured in the Lord with him, for many years, and have known him personally now for 32 years.

But, I must say this: it is illegal to transfer these tapes - they are copy-righted - so, please, do not indulge in this. They can be obtained from their proper source - if you are unsure of this, you can Private Message me, and I will tell you where to get them.

Also, as an aside, Spiritual paternity, is a very personal relationship, and Fr. Zacharias, I am certain, would support me in saying this. As an attribute to this, I will say this also: he is not the only Spiritual confessor at Essex and I will go even further and state this: that, as in the life of Fr. Sophrony, he found his Staretz in a simple Russian monk, St. Silouan, so, also, now, the Monastery of Fr. Sophrony is not bereft of 'hidden' monks and nuns - you just need to pray!

#23 Andrew

Andrew

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 04:47 PM

I am more than grateful to our Lord to see the enthusiasm and love for Fr. Zacharias, for I laboured in the Lord with him, for many years, and have known him personally now for 32 years.

But, I must say this: it is illegal to transfer these tapes - they are copy-righted - so, please, do not indulge in this. They can be obtained from their proper source - if you are unsure of this, you can Private Message me, and I will tell you where to get them.

Also, as an aside, Spiritual paternity, is a very personal relationship, and Fr. Zacharias, I am certain, would support me in saying this. As an attribute to this, I will say this also: he is not the only Spiritual confessor at Essex and I will go even further and state this: that, as in the life of Fr. Sophrony, he found his Staretz in a simple Russian monk, St. Silouan, so, also, now, the Monastery of Fr. Sophrony is not bereft of 'hidden' monks and nuns - you just need to pray!

Ah, I didn't think of about copyright law and whatnot. Thank you for reminding us Father!

And thank you for your word on the Monastery. It is very encouraging to hear such things; we are very blessed now in the West to have spiritual children of Elder Sophrony and Elder Joseph living here with us.

#24 Andreea

Andreea

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 April 2007 - 12:16 PM

Dear Father,

I am very sorry to see my message was a little bit misunderstood. I know that the copyright for the Cd belongs to the Monastery and I do not want to do an injury or to take on any action involving the Monastery and not being blessed. When I was at the Monasetry, I simply bought 2 Cds with the same content but the person for whom I have bought one of them
doesn't know... English. So I thought to offer it to somenone who may need it. That is way I thought of the post.

As for praying, I submit to your saying. And I remeber that there is a very beautiful prayer of St Simeon the New Theologian, for those seeking a spiritual father. At the end, we are all seeking, wherever, the face of God.

Forgive me if I acted wrong. Your blessings,
Andreea

#25 Nina

Nina

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,149 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 12:22 PM

But, I must say this: it is illegal to transfer these tapes - they are copy-righted - so, please, do not indulge in this.

Christ is Risen!

Mea culpa, Father Seraphim! I assumed these were privately recorded with the blessing of Father Zacharias, and could be shared (since it has happened in the past). I apologize from my heart, since I did not wish to do any illegal thing.

Your Blessings,
Nina

#26 Fr Seraphim (Black)

Fr Seraphim (Black)

Retired member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 01:18 PM

Christ is Risen!

Mea culpa, Father Seraphim! I assumed these were privately recorded with the blessing of Father Zacharias, and could be shared (since it has happened in the past). I apologize from my heart, since I did not wish to do any illegal thing.

Your Blessings,
Nina

Certainly all apologies are fully accepted. And may our Lord forgive me for misunderstanding peoples' intentions.

At present, besides the cassettes, there are two excellent books:

i) 'Christ, our Way, and our Life, a Presentation of the Theology of Archimandrite Sophrony', translated from the Greek, by Sister Magdalen of the Monastery of St. John the Baptist, the original title being: Anafora stin Theologia tou Gerondas Sofroniou (based on his doctoral thesis, entitled) 'The Actualisation of the Hypostatic Principle in the Theology of Archimandrite Sophrony', submitted at the Faculty of Theology of the University of Thessaloniki, in 1988.

ii) 'The Enlargement of the Heart', "Be ye also enlarged"(2 Corinthians 6:13) in the Theology of Saint Silouan the Athonite and Elder Sophrony of Essex'
-which is part of i) and then conferences given in Wichita, Kansas, including articles and/or papers translated by Christopher Veniamin, Professor of Patristics, St. Tikhon's Seminary.

Also, highly recommended is: 'I Love Therefore I Am, the Theological Legacy of Archimandrite Sophrony' by Fr. Nicolas (Sakharov), who is the grand nephew of Fr. Sophrony and also resides at the Monastery of St. John the Baptist, Essex, United Kingdom.

#27 Nina

Nina

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,149 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 02:14 PM

At present, besides the cassettes, there are two excellent books:

i) 'Christ, our Way, and our Life, a Presentation of the Theology of Archimandrite Sophrony', translated from the Greek, by Sister Magdalen of the Monastery of St. John the Baptist, the original title being: Anafora stin Theologia tou Gerondas Sofroniou (based on his doctoral thesis, entitled) 'The Actualisation of the Hypostatic Principle in the Theology of Archimandrite Sophrony', submitted at the Faculty of Theology of the University of Thessaloniki, in 1988.

ii) 'The Enlargement of the Heart', "Be ye also enlarged"(2 Corinthians 6:13) in the Theology of Saint Silouan the Athonite and Elder Sophrony of Essex'
-which is part of i) and then conferences given in Wichita, Kansas, including articles and/or papers translated by Christopher Veniamin, Professor of Patristics, St. Tikhon's Seminary.

Also, highly recommended is: 'I Love Therefore I Am, the Theological Legacy of Archimandrite Sophrony' by Fr. Nicolas (Sakharov), who is the grand nephew of Fr. Sophrony and also resides at the Monastery of St. John the Baptist, Essex, United Kingdom.

Dear Father Seraphim,

Thank you for your recomendations!

What about cassettes, or CDs?

Your Blessings,
Nina

#28 Father Anthony

Father Anthony

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 11:54 AM

Christ is Risen!

Thank you for the directions that have been posted. I will be going to the monastery in July. I spoke with Father Bartholomew last week and made the arrangements.

I have two questions. First, I will be arriving via the Eurostar from Paris to Waterloo International Station. Are there any other directions that could help me speed my journey to the monastery?

While I am at the monastery, Father Bartholomew informed that a pilgrimage to Saint Silouan will be taking place. Does anyone have any information on this event and what may be occurring?

I plan on taking photographs and video while I am there, and have already spoke to the fathers about it. Thank you.

In IC XC,
Father Anthony+

#29 Kris

Kris

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 01:28 PM

Christ is Risen!

Thank you for the directions that have been posted. I will be going to the monastery in July. I spoke with Father Bartholomew last week and made the arrangements.

I have two questions. First, I will be arriving via the Eurostar from Paris to Waterloo International Station. Are there any other directions that could help me speed my journey to the monastery?

Bless Father,

You can take the tube (subway) from Waterloo to Liverpool St. Station by taking the Northern Line 4 stops north, change at Tottenham Crt. Rd. and get the Central Line 5 stops East.

At Liverpool St. Station, take the train to either Witham or Kelvedon. From there you can either take a taxi or, if its a weekday, a bus.

You could probably ask one of the nuns to pick you up at Kelvedon or Witham station.

#30 Father Anthony

Father Anthony

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 01:35 PM

Dear Kris, Christ is Risen!

Thank you very much for that helpful information.

In IC XC,
Father Anthony+

#31 Dcn Alexander Haig

Dcn Alexander Haig

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 06:18 PM

Christ is Risen!

Father, your blessing

If you arrive during the day I have always found it easier from Waterloo on the underground to get the Waterloo and City Line to Bank (which is direct, no stopping) then the Central Line to Liverpool St - unless in rush hour this is less crammed than the Northern line.

In XP

Alex

#32 Father Anthony

Father Anthony

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 12:52 AM

Dear Alex, Christ is Risen!

Thank you for the information. Yes, I am arriving in the morning so the information should be useful.

In IC XC,
Father Anthony+

#33 Michael A.

Michael A.

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 June 2007 - 10:07 PM

Hi, Im considering visiting St John the Baptist Monastery at Essex in August for a week. Would someone give me more information regarding accommodation

Many thanks
Michael

#34 Marinaki

Marinaki

Regular Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 11:02 AM

Phone up 0044 (0) 1621 816471 and ask to speak to the guest master. He will tell you about accomodation. It's best to do it sooner rather than later because it gets filled up in the summer.

#35 Father Anthony

Father Anthony

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 11:47 AM

Phone up 0044 (0) 1621 816471 and ask to speak to the guest master. He will tell you about accomodation. It's best to do it sooner rather than later because it gets filled up in the summer.

I agree with the above advice. I phoned from the states over two months in advance to visit for four days in July, and still had difficulty in securing the visit. Thank goodness all worked out, and I will be there next month.

In IC XC,
Father Anthony+

#36 Michael A.

Michael A.

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 09:49 AM

Hi,
I ve been trying that phone number for 3 days now and i get no responce...
In a case that there are no rooms available, is there any hostel nearby the monastery?

#37 Marinaki

Marinaki

Regular Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 11:19 PM

If you are ringing from the states you dial the code for England then (0) 1621 816 471 possibly leaving off the first zero. Remember there is a time difference - and the best time to ring is probably 11am-12 UK time in the week or at around 4pm (UK) time. There may be services going on or meals at other times. Otherwise write.

#38 Father Anthony

Father Anthony

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 12:51 PM

I am not trying to put this thread off topic, but I do need some information regarding Saint John's.

I understand that there will be a pilgrimage dedicated to Saint Silouan the Athonite the last weekend of this month at Saint John's. I will be at the monastery during this time. Can some one post some information regarding the pilgrimage and a possible program or link to it? I would be very appreciative.

In IC XC,
Father Anthony+

#39 Kusanagi

Kusanagi

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 716 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 07:05 AM

The event that happens at the monastery in July if i am correct doesn't concern St Siluan as they celebrate him on 24 September and November 26.

What happens in July 11 is the commemoration of the repose of Fr Sophrony. then July 24 commemoration of the repose of Mother Elizabeth

#40 Rebecka Strajnic

Rebecka Strajnic

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 October 2007 - 10:59 PM

In the mercy of XC our Lord I greet everyone! ..as I am new in the community.

I am wondering how to contact and initiate a visit to St John the Baptist Monastery in Essex. Should I merely just call them, or do they have an official website where I can read more about it? I will be flying over from Sweden, Gothenburg.

Thank you for any help!

/Rebecka

Christ is Risen!

An explicitly practical question:
I'm considering visiting St John the Baptist Monastery (Old Rectory Rd, Tolleshunt Knights, Maldon, Essex) at some point. Would someone be able to tell me (here or privately) how to physically get there from London?

Many thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users