#41 Rdr Andreas

Rdr Andreas

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,030 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 18 October 2007 - 04:17 PM

I am wondering how to contact and initiate a visit to St John the Baptist Monastery in Essex. Should I merely just call them, or do they have an official website where I can read more about it? I will be flying over from Sweden, Gothenburg.

Thank you for any help!

/Rebecka

Dear Rebecka,

The monastery has no website and no email address. You can write to them at:

The Old Rectory
Rectory Road
Tolleshunt KNights
Maldon
Essex
England
CM9 8EZ

and phone at: 0044 1621 816471

For accommodation at the monastery, ask for Sister Paula.

There are flights from Gothenburg to Stansted Airport (though Ryanair flights are not cheap). You may get a cheaper flight to Heathrow but then it's longer to travel to Tolleshunt Knights from Heathrow than from Stansted.

From Stansted there is a bus to Colchester (North Station) (takes about an hour). From there you can take a taxi to the monastery (takes about half an hour) which (during the daytime) will cost about £15.

From Heathrow, you can get the train (underground) to London (probably Paddington station). Heathrow has 5 terminals so you have to check at the terminal you arrive at because trains to London differ according to which terminal you depart from. In London, get the underground to Liverpool Street station. From Liverpool Street station, get a train to Kelvedon. From Kelvedon station, get a taxi to the monastery (about 15 minutes).

Hope this helps a bit.

In Christ,

Andreas.

PS If you phone, be patient and be prepared to have to try several times. Try late morning and mid-afternoon.

#42 Rebecka Strajnic

Rebecka Strajnic

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 October 2007 - 07:36 PM

Dear Andreas,

In XC, thank you very much indeed, this helped immensely!

/ unworhty Rebecka

#43 Denise King

Denise King

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 February 2008 - 02:41 PM

Dear Community,

At long last I will be able to visit the Monastery of St. John, during the 1st week of April. Since I have never stayed overnight before in a monastery, I would appreciate any tips (no matter how incidental) on clothing, manners, what to expect and what not to expect (e.g. hot water?). Should I always wear a head scarf (normally I don't)? Thanks for your contributions!

Very humbly, Denise

#44 Paul Cowan

Paul Cowan

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 17 February 2008 - 09:02 PM

The ladies can better inform you on protocol for women. Proper dress is required including a head scarf. Dress well below the knees, sleeves preferrably long. No smoking. No loud talk. Don't expect hot water. They might have it though. Sleeping is typically dormitory style.

The best advice is to call the monastery and ask. Some of your questions are answered on their website though you have to dig a little.

Paul

#45 Kris

Kris

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 17 February 2008 - 10:16 PM

The ladies can better inform you on protocol for women. Proper dress is required including a head scarf. Dress well below the knees, sleeves preferrably long. No smoking. No loud talk. Don't expect hot water. They might have it though. Sleeping is typically dormitory style.

I don't think a headscarf is required. I see many women at the monastery who do not wear one (but bring one just in case). They did have hot water when I stayed there; I would assume the same is true of the women's section.

Sleeping conditions vary, from single rooms to shared. What you end up with depends on what's available, why you're there and how long you're staying for I think.

#46 Father Anthony

Father Anthony

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 17 February 2008 - 10:58 PM

The best advice is to call the monastery and ask. Some of your questions are answered on their website though you have to dig a little.

Paul

Ummm Paul,

Wrong monastery and wrong continent. Check out the title to the thread.

In IC XC,
Father Anthony+

#47 Rdr Andreas

Rdr Andreas

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,030 posts

Posted 17 February 2008 - 10:59 PM

Head scarves are not required. Some Russian ladies do wear them (though my wife doesn't) but most women don't. There is hot water and central heating. The churches are warm. I went to the liturgy in St Silouan's church yesterday morning and it was very warm inside. Tolleshunt Knights has a sort of micro-climate, and it usually feels damp and cold outside. Of course, a long skirt should be worn and modest dress. In church, women stand on the left as you go in (the same side as the icon of the Mother of God) and men on the right. There are folding chairs and stools for those who want them - you are not expected to stand throughout services but some do. When attending the Divine Liturgy, people do arrive for the beginning. For one thing, the priest gives absolution to those present before the Liturgy starts. A most important point is how Holy Communion is given. The faithful bend their knees and open their mouths wide. The Holy Gifts are dropped into the mouth and you do not touch the spoon. Close your mouth, consume the Holy Gifts in the usual way, and then go to take the drink in the Russian way, and take a piece of bread. If you wish, you can offer to help with some work such as washing up after meals but no one will demand anything from you. The best thing is to say to one of the sisters, 'is there anything I can do?' You can sit in the bookshop and read books but do not borrow them.

#48 Paul Cowan

Paul Cowan

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 03:56 AM

Ummm Paul,

Wrong monastery and wrong continent. Check out the title to the thread.

In IC XC,
Father Anthony+

Sorry Fr.

I got carried with the first hit on Google.

#49 Father Anthony

Father Anthony

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 12:35 PM

Sorry Fr.

I got carried with the first hit on Google.

Dear Paul,

I just wanted to make sure we were all talking about the right monastery in the right place.

We all tend to jump the proverbial gun from time to time.

In IC XC,
Father Anthony+

#50 Paul Cowan

Paul Cowan

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 06:44 PM

Dear Paul,

I just wanted to make sure we were all talking about the right monastery in the right place.

We all tend to jump the proverbial gun from time to time.

In IC XC,
Father Anthony+

Yeah, I got penalized on the track team for that too.

#51 Denise King

Denise King

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 04:46 PM

Dear Community,

Thanks for your tips. A long skirt is no problem - I'm used to that - and I will take a headscarf just in case. I am very much looking forward to this! I had heard about the dampness there, that's why I was wondering about warmth!

Humbly, Denise

#52 Ioana

Ioana

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 01:33 PM

Hello! I am from France, and I would like to stay a few days at the monastery of Saint John the Baptist-Essex. I intend to do this in may. Could someone tell me how to get the monastery from Luton airport. There are buses or trains from Luton to Essex or Maldon? Thank you!

#53 Rdr Andreas

Rdr Andreas

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,030 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 09:12 PM

Hello! I am from France, and I would like to stay a few days at the monastery of Saint John the Baptist-Essex. I intend to do this in may. Could someone tell me how to get the monastery from Luton airport. There are buses or trains from Luton to Essex or Maldon? Thank you!

Dear Ioana,

Do you have to fly to Luton? There are many Ryanair flights from France to Stansted which is much nearer (I know because my brother lives in France) . First, check out if you can fly to Stansted.

In Christ,

Andreas.

(PS I'm replying because I live near the monastery.)

#54 Ioana

Ioana

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 10:08 AM

Dear Ioana,

Do you have to fly to Luton? There are many Ryanair flights from France to Stansted which is much nearer (I know because my brother lives in France) . First, check out if you can fly to Stansted.

In Christ,

Andreas.

(PS I'm replying because I live near the monastery.)

Thank you very much for responding!

Yes, I have to take fly to Luton, it's the most interesting for me, cause I do not live in Paris, but in Brest. And I've already bought my ticket. There is a possibility for me to get directly the monastery from Luton?

Ioana

#55 Kris

Kris

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 09:17 PM

Yes, I have to take fly to Luton, it's the most interesting for me, cause I do not live in Paris, but in Brest. And I've already bought my ticket. There is a possibility for me to get directly the monastery from Luton?

You could take the train from Luton to St. Pancras International (which, by the way, has a direct Eurostar train to Paris) and from there get the tube to Liverpool Street station, and then take the train from there to Kelvedon.

I don't know if there's a shorter route by bus.

You could also take a taxi directly from Luton airport, but that would be very expensive.

#56 Rdr Andreas

Rdr Andreas

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,030 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 09:42 PM

Just to say that I've PMed Ioana with the information she needs.

#57 Annemarie B.

Annemarie B.

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 07:29 PM

Hello everyone, I'm new to this forum, so I hope I've found the right place to post my question.
Anyway, I'd like to ask if anyone knows if the St. John the Baptist Monastery organises retreats?
Friendly greeetings,
Annemarie.

#58 Rdr Andreas

Rdr Andreas

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,030 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 08:14 AM

Anyway, I'd like to ask if anyone knows if the St. John the Baptist Monastery organises retreats?
Friendly greeetings,
Annemarie.

Dear Annemarie,

Not to my knowledge. Staying in the monastery would itself be a retreat.

#59 Annemarie B.

Annemarie B.

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 08:25 PM

Dear Annemarie,

Not to my knowledge. Staying in the monastery would itself be a retreat.

Thanks for your quick reply Andreas.

#60 Faith Shlim

Faith Shlim

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 May 2008 - 07:17 AM

Christ is risen!

Dear brothers and sisters in Christ,

I’m planning to visit St John the Baptist Monastery, Essex soon and need your help.

How do I reach to the Liverpool street station from Heathrow 5 terminal?

Thanks
Faith

Edited by M.C. Steenberg, 29 May 2008 - 07:44 AM.
Removed non-functional FONT tags

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users