#1 M.C. Steenberg

M.C. Steenberg

Former Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,843 posts

Posted 27 May 2006 - 01:48 PM

Dear all,

As of today, the Discussion Community includes a new feature: scripture references included in posts will automatically be convered to hyperlinks that open that given reference in a new window. This means that to create a reference to a verse that links to the text (e.g. John 3:16), you don't have to enter any special formatting: just type the reference as normal text in your message, and the system will automatically convert it into a link when the message is posted to the board.

Notes on usage:

• Don't put any special formatting around the reference; just type it as normal text. Transformation into a link is automatic and will take place when the message is posted to the board.
  • You should (preferably) use the complete name of books, rather than abbreviations, to ensure that the system recognises the reference (e.g. 'Genesis' rather than 'Gen'). However, the most common abbreviations are supported.
  • You must use the English book titles as come from the Hebrew, not Greek, name forms (e.g. 'Isaiah' rather than 'Isaias'). We hope to correct this in future to allow for both versions, but at present the system only works with these forms.
  • You must use a colon (:) rather than a full stop (.) to separate chapter and verse. Again, we hope in future to configure this so that either form can be used (I personally prefer the full stop); but for the time being only the colon works.
  • The conversion to links takes place only at the final stage of posting: when your post is actually submitted to the system. The 'Preview Post' screens will not show the references as converted. Please do not be worried by this; the conversion will take place in the end.

All links open the passage in a new window, in the New King James Version on the BibleGateway web site (where you can also view the passage in other translations). Please note that at this stage the books called 'Apocrypha' in Protestant bibles are not converted by this system - a situation we hope to rectify soon.

Feel free to test out this feature in the test posting area.

INXC, Matthew

#2 Herman Blaydoe

Herman Blaydoe

• Moderators
  • 4,157 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 27 May 2006 - 01:54 PM

Awesome! Most excellent!

Thank you!

#3 M.C. Steenberg

M.C. Steenberg

Former Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,843 posts

Posted 27 May 2006 - 08:12 PM

Awesome! Most excellent!

Thank you!

I'm glad you find it useful. Though there is little here of my own handiwork; this is an add-in to the vBulletin system written by someone else, of which we're taking advantage. ;)

INXC, Matthew

#4 M.C. Steenberg

M.C. Steenberg

Former Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,843 posts

Posted 03 June 2006 - 01:38 PM

In my earlier post announcing this new feature, I provided two notes that now need emending, given improvements to the system:

You should (preferably) use the complete name of books, rather than abbreviations, to ensure that the system recognises the reference (e.g. 'Genesis' rather than 'Gen'). However, the most common abbreviations are supported.

This still remains generally true: it's always safest to use full book titles. However, a host of additional abbreviations have now been provided, increasing the likelihood that the system will understand your abbreviation as a scriptural reference.

You must use a colon (:) rather than a full stop (.) to separate chapter and verse. Again, we hope in future to configure this so that either form can be used (I personally prefer the full stop); but for the time being only the colon works.

This has now been updated, and you can use a full stop (.) to denote chapter-verse separation if you wish. The colon (:) is of course still supported: you have a choice of either John 1.1 or John 1:1, as preference leads you.

New feature: The standard scriptural translation linked to in references is the New King James Version (NKJV), which we have set as our default; thus, e.g., John 1.1 opens a new window with that verse presented in the NKJV format. If you wish to specify a given translation, simply type its standard abbreviation after the reference: e.g. John 1.1 NASB links to the verse in the New American Standard Bible translation, while John 1.1 KJV gives the Authorised (King James) Version.

Everything else on how to use this feature remains the same: please scroll up to the beginning of this thread for the full post on how it works.

INXC, Matthew

#5 Irene

Irene

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 259 posts
  • Guest from Another Religious Tradition

Posted 28 September 2006 - 12:21 PM

There is suddenly a link in my post that I didn't put there - it leads to bible gateway.com - is this a feature of monachos when you mention a Bible verse? Or is it a fluke? ...:confused: Irene

#6 Fr Raphael Vereshack

Fr Raphael Vereshack

• Moderators
  • 4,420 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member
  • Verified Monastic Cleric

Posted 28 September 2006 - 12:37 PM

There is suddenly a link in my post that I didn't put there - it leads to bible gateway.com - is this a feature of monachos when you mention a Bible verse? Or is it a fluke? ...:confused: Irene

No it's a new feature of Monachos. If you type in Jn 1:1-2 for example a link should automatically appear which takes you to the Scripture passage you referred to.

In Christ- Fr Raphael

#7 M.C. Steenberg

M.C. Steenberg

Former Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,843 posts

Posted 28 September 2006 - 05:18 PM

Dear Irene - Alas, the surprises of the forum! As Fr Raphael explained, this is a feature of the Community: scriptural references are automatically converted to links to the passage cited -- so people who may not know what John 1.3 is, can click the link to see the passage on-line.

You can read more about automatic scripture linking here.

INXC, Matthew

#8 M.C. Steenberg

M.C. Steenberg

Former Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,843 posts

Posted 28 September 2006 - 05:29 PM

Dear all,

Thanks to the careful and enthusiastic work of the scripture converter's programmer, the scripture links conversion system on Monachos.net's Discussion Community (described above in this thread) now also supports those books known in Protestant traditions as 'The Apocrypha', and to Orthodox as 'the full Old Testament'. So you can now cite references to Baruch, Sirach, etc., in the same manner as you would any other biblical book, and the system will automatically convert these references to links to the text.

INXC, Matthew

#9 Irene

Irene

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 259 posts
  • Guest from Another Religious Tradition

Posted 28 September 2006 - 11:12 PM

Very Useful, I like that :) Thanks Fr Raphael, Thanks Mathew....Irene

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users