5 replies to this topic

#1 Matthew

Matthew

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 12:17 AM

In a Greek Orthodox Church today, our psaltis showed me the first page of a book.  It could have been an Anastasimatarion, but I don't think so..  It was not a Typicon.  

The very first page and a half was dedicated to a writing of Saint Athansios.   The top of the short passage was "Σύμβολον της Πίστεως " just like the Creed.

And it was attributed to St. Athansios.

Does anyone know what this was?  Or the English translation? 

Thank you very much!

Matthew

#2 Deacon John Martin

Deacon John Martin

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 22 September 2013 - 05:33 PM

This is a creed attributed to St. Athanasius of Alexandria that was widely circulated in the Western church. The earliest version known dates from the fifth or sixth century. In the Slavonic Psalter, the creed is part of the introductory material (see the Psalter for Prayer published at Jordanville) and it's possible that your psaltis may have shown you a psalter.

In the Latin version of the Athanasian Creed, mention is made of the Holy Spirit being from both the Father and the Son, which implies the filioque. Such a mention is absent from the Slavonic (and likely also Greek) versions, which state simply that the Holy Spirit is from the Father.

#3 Rdr Daniel (R.)

Rdr Daniel (R.)

Very Frequent Poster

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 705 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 05:47 PM

Funnily enough, this was spoken about at my Orthodox Theology course yesterday, our lecturer Fr John said that it is not a creed and it is not written by Saint Athanasius. It is a western explanation of the Holy Trinity, I'm not sure how it got in Greek and Slavonic service books, I've never come across it in Greek service books, Psalters or prayer books which I have seen, given its date and it's reliance on Saint Augustine it may or may not have originally contained the filioque, I don't think we could know for sure either way.  

In Christ.

Daniel,

Edited by Daniel R., 22 September 2013 - 05:49 PM.

#4 Kosta

Kosta

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,517 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 06:21 PM

There's a thread on here that discusses the historical elements of this prayer. It originates from a bishop from Gaul??? at a time when the arian visigoths overran that region.

Its an extremely poor 'creed' in my opinion. Written at a time when the council of Chalcedon was being overly- promoted in the west while omitting the Alexandrian theology developed in the council of Ephesus. Hence no mention is made of  the Theotokos or even virgin birth. 

#5 Matthew

Matthew

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 01:29 PM

Thank you everyone for the responses.

It's amazing to me that a western and unorthodox "creed" has made its way into a publication of the Greek Orthodox Church.

Matthew

#6 Deacon John Martin

Deacon John Martin

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 04:34 PM

I wouldn't say that it's heterodox, except for the insertion of the Filioque.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users