#1 Ken McRae

Ken McRae

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 582 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 26 July 2006 - 03:12 AM

"The 2006 Calendar is dedicated to the Orthodox (pre-Schism) saints of present-day German-speaking areas: Germany, Austria, Lichtenstein, Luxembourg, a large area of Switzerland, and small areas of Belgium, France, and Italy. Brief biographies of many of these early saints are accompanied by iconographic portraits. A feature article traces the history of Orthodox Christianity in these areas: the era of Christian martyrdom under the Roman Empire, and the periods of evangelization by Gallic, Irish, and Anglo-Saxon missionaries. Also discussed are those Germans who, after the Great Schism, left their country and became saints in Russia ... etc."

Hello to All ~ I am interested in learning about these Post-Schism Germans who immigrated to Russia just after the Great Schism and became Orthodox saints. Any links to Online information about them would be much appreciated! Thanks.

EDIT:- In the title to this post, I refered to them as "German Orthodox" but that was an error on my part. They were Russian Orthodox saints, in reality, though of German birth and ancestry.

#2 Kusanagi

Kusanagi

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 12:01 PM

"The 2006 Calendar is dedicated to the Orthodox (pre-Schism) saints of present-day German-speaking areas: Germany, Austria, Lichtenstein, Luxembourg, a large area of Switzerland, and small areas of Belgium, France, and Italy. Brief biographies of many of these early saints are accompanied by iconographic portraits. A feature article traces the history of Orthodox Christianity in these areas: the era of Christian martyrdom under the Roman Empire, and the periods of evangelization by Gallic, Irish, and Anglo-Saxon missionaries. Also discussed are those Germans who, after the Great Schism, left their country and became saints in Russia ... etc."

Hello to All ~ I am interested in learning about these Post-Schism Germans who immigrated to Russia just after the Great Schism and became Orthodox saints. Any links to Online information about them would be much appreciated! Thanks.

EDIT:- In the title to this post, I refered to them as "German Orthodox" but that was an error on my part. They were Russian Orthodox saints, in reality, though of German birth and ancestry.

Grand Duchess Elizabeth and her sister the Emperess Alexander. These 2 are the ones i can think of right now.

#3 Anthony

Anthony

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts

Posted 10 November 2007 - 04:57 PM

One of the members of the young anti-Nazi movement the White Rose was a Russian brought up in Germany called Alexander Schmorell. According to an article in the Orthodox Wiki, he was expected to be glorified (by the ROCOR) as a saint. Does anybody have any information as to whether this has actually happened?

#4 Kusanagi

Kusanagi

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 03:50 PM

It seems the only news on the glorification of Alexander Schmorell is mentioned on 1 line here

http://germanorthodo...-in-munich.html

I don't read german so i am not sure if anything was mentioned on the German Diocese of ROCOR plus there on the ROCOR site the only other mention of the canonisation was a petition was put forward.

I think I shall ask Archbishop Mark when he visits next week.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users