#41 Mina Soliman

Mina Soliman

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • Guest from Another Religious Tradition

Posted 27 September 2006 - 08:43 PM

I have read through them quite a few times, and I have found them to be an overly comprehensive treatment of the subjects in question—the fullness of Christ’s humanity is dealt with, the unconfused nature of the union between His divinity and humanity are dealt with, the natural energy and will proper to each nature is dealt with, issues of terminology are dealt with—as far as I am concerned they have left nothing out and been quite unequivocal about everything.

Indeed, I've always got the impression from the dialogues that "the debate is over". Now, it's more along the lines of how we can spread these conclusions to others who either have no idea or are reluctant to understand them, and how we can intermingle with one another to learn from one another's histories, traditions, and cultures.

Other dialogues between individual churches are just there to reaffirm what has already been agree in the four unofficial and four official councils.

I've emailed Fr. Thomas Fitzgerald about the 8 dialogues, how it can be made readily available, with all the papers and minutes. He mentioned that he is soon to publish them all in one new book. I don't know how "soon" is soon, but I hope it's sometime before we all die. :-P

Also, I've noticed how this thread has been dragging on. I've personally questioned whether it is really truly not understanding clearly the other position, or whether something is so clear that one is too reluctant to accept clarity and look for holes.

Whenever there's a discussion like this, I always wonder or look for what "exactly" is the issue. Where is the problem? Pinpoint it for me so that I may be able to have a much better discussion than just reiterating what has already been discussed.

I suggest that this should occur rather than wasting much typing for something already (or what seems to me) written.

God bless.

Mina

#42 John Charmley

John Charmley

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,101 posts
  • Guest from Another Religious Tradition

Posted 27 September 2006 - 10:10 PM

Whenever there's a discussion like this, I always wonder or look for what "exactly" is the issue. Where is the problem? Pinpoint it for me so that I may be able to have a much better discussion than just reiterating what has already been discussed.

I suggest that this should occur rather than wasting much typing for something already (or what seems to me) written.

Dear Mina,

I suspect the issue is trying to spread the word, because, as you say elsewhere, not everyone is aware of the unity talks and the conclusions reached; indeed the fact that discussions like this are necessary supports such a conclusion, I feel.

Sometimes we need a bit of repetition and reiteration in order to digest what it is we are really saying; indeed, sometime the act of reiteration is a necessary part of apprehending where we are.

For all the slight impatience we all may feel sometimes, that may be a part of growing in the faith, as well as a necessary lesson in humility. My hope is that I learn something through these discussions (and I know I do) and that others too learn things that are needful for them.

I am not unmindful of the possibility that the simple process of discussion may, in itself, be part of the process that leads all of us to where we would want to be.

As I read what Peter and Athanasius write, I am confirmed in my sense that the Oriental Orthodox are my natural companions; but as I read Father Raphael, I am reminded that it is mainly history that divides the EO and the OO, and that the goodness that shines through his posts is an example to me, and perhaps to us all.

Being by nature a little impatient, the patience I learn through the process of dialogue is good for my soul. If, in that process, others learn what is needful for them, then some good is being done.

In this world, to do some good and no harm is a triumph!

In Christ,

John

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users