20 replies to this topic

#1 Terry

Terry

Junior Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 22 September 2006 - 02:01 PM

Hello all, I know that i have been asking a lot of questions about orthodoxy that I should of already known before i was baptized, but that wasn't required of me, and I live in Romania and donnot speak the language so i can't just go ask somebody, thats why im asking here...

so my question is, How do you know if you have a demonic presence in your home? and how do you get rid of it? can you do it yourself with holy water? also what attracts them?

#2 Chrissi

Chrissi

Regular Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 23 September 2006 - 03:26 AM

Dear Terry in Christ,

Firstly you must cross yourself and pray anytime you have this fear because the cross will protect you. Then you must understand that demons are everywhere ready to tempt us and torment us. If something unearthly seems to be in the home even if it seems that it may be from God always assume that it is evil too. Start praying straight away. The Holy Fathers teach us that the evil ones will pretend to be from God to trick us. You will only know you are ok when you are praying and crossing yourself because demons fear the sign of the cross.

Here is a prayer for a building afflicted by evil spirits from Father Seraphim's Orthodox net site.

Also, knowing that it could be difficult for you in your situation, if at all possible get your home blessed as soon as possible and keep icons in every room if you are able to. Keep a supply of holy water that you can sprinkle around the home in between house blessings (which should be about once a year).

If you can do nothing else the prayer and the sign of the cross will help you and ask for the prayers of others.

Also you asked what attracts demons into your home ...... we do, we do this when we don't follow Christ's teachings, when we watch evil things on tv, listen to music that is satanically inspired, when we decide to put ourselves before God, when we don't pray, don't go to Church, don't have confession and communion regularly.

(Math 24:23Then if any man shall say unto you, Lo, here is Christ, or there; believe it not.)

#3 Terry

Terry

Junior Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 23 September 2006 - 11:16 AM

Thank you Chrissy, That was very helpful..

Ever since I was around 10-13, I was always in fear of demons... I guess from going to a lot of pentecostal churches, and seeing real videos of a preacher casting out a demon out of a man, or even one time we went to church and somebody puked green slime, no joke..... I was always tormented by fear, always ... my mom even got me a cat to sleep with ... I am 17 now, but I always wondered, how do we know when they are tormenting us? When we feel fear and can't sleep at night, is this how we know? Is that them doing this to us?

@};- -Terry-

#4 Mourad Mankarios

Mourad Mankarios

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 23 September 2006 - 01:20 PM

Hi Terry,

While the church believes in the real tangible presence of a menacing evil it still seems to be plagued by centuries of witch hunts and superstitions not to mention the culture of horror and fear created by hollywood and all of the hype surrounding the paranormal. I think that some level of sobriety is required when dealing with these matters and the church itself has come with the times and discovered that psychology and simple physics can explain a lot of what we have in past times assumed to be associated with the paranormal. Therefore, I don't think squeaky noises at night are just gonna cut it anymore.

Personally, I think that firstly as an Orthodox Christian you need to understand that you come from a position of strength rather than weakness or fear. Your faith should not be a cause for such fear but strength in the power that comes from the Lord. Secondly, if it is reassurance you require than as far as I know most Orthodox churches have some form of ritual for the blessing of homes. Therefore, you can invite your local parish priest to your home and ask him to perform such a ritual which as far as I know usually involves some prayers and the sprinkling of holy water within the home. You can also establish your house as a good Christian home with prayers, icons and your good conduct.

Finally, I wouldn't succumb to any kind of supernatural or paranormal inclination or autosuggestion unless I actually witnessed such a phenomenon and then had it verified by someone else or atleast had my head checked. I think like you've said you're background probably has a lot to do with it and you're probably a little edgy and too suggestive when it comes to the demonic. It's really sad that children would have to witness these kinds of things.

I think fear in and itself can be a demon sometimes and we also often create our own demons. So just be careful that you don't fall into that trap.

"The Lord is my helper; I will not fear." (Heb 13:6)

#5 Irene

Irene

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 259 posts
  • Guest from Another Religious Tradition

Posted 26 September 2006 - 11:42 PM

Prayer Against Demonic Influence from the Joy in Sorrow site
Almighty God, Who delivered Your people from the bondage of the adversary, and through Your Son cast down Satan like lightning, deliver me also from every influence of unclean spirits. Command Satan to depart far from me by the power of Your only begotten Son. Rescue me from demonic imaginings and darkness. Fill me with the light of the Holy Spirit that I may be guarded against all snares of crafty demons. Grant that an angel will always go before me and lead me to the path of righteousness all the days of my life, to the honor of Your glorious Name, Father, Son and Holy Spirit, now and forever. Amen.

#6 Vasiliki D.

Vasiliki D.

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 04:36 AM

Hi, great question and great answers.

I was wondering how everything in the Church is a paradox ultimately. So, the advise for a "beginner" is often the very advise that doesnt relate for a more advanced orthodox.

Why do I say this ... as a beginner the advise that I have from the priests and from the books I read is to wear a cross, fast, pray, participate in the sacramanets and also the sprinkling of holy water etc helps protect us from the demonic presence.

On the other hand, i read the bios of ascetics and saints ... and think ... here are individuals who do all that we are asked to do so that we can protect ourselves but in their cases the demonic presence is MORe real than for us because it is a necessary warfare they need to actually reach theosis/deification.

Isnt it interesting that we pray to avoid running into them and they pray so that they can fight them in the warfare so that during this warfare they can pray even more to God. Paradox.

#7 Ama

Ama

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 19 December 2009 - 04:42 PM

I am a student and I live in a student flat. When I started getting closer to the church and hung icons in my room I had some really bad dreams for a couple of nights that the devil was very angry at those icons and wanted to rip them away. I could not see it in my dreams but I could feel it. Then after a while I started dreaming that the devil wants to take posesion of me and woke up in the middle of the night, could not talk, could not move and felt an extremly evil presence near me. I could only pray that God saves me and that state eventually vanished. I had such "visits" for a week every night at 1:50. Every night I woke up at the same time having those nightmares. It was horrible. I ended up sleeping with icons in my bed. I was sooo scared. It eventually stopped.
Even people who are not religious told me they feel an evil presence in that room.
I would say ask a priest to make prayers, confess regularly, participate to the communion. I used holy water and holy oil but that wasn't enough in my case.

#8 Vasiliki D.

Vasiliki D.

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 20 December 2009 - 10:36 AM

I am a student and I live in a student flat. When I started getting closer to the church and hung icons in my room I had some really bad dreams for a couple of nights that the devil was very angry at those icons and wanted to rip them away. I could not see it in my dreams but I could feel it. Then after a while I started dreaming that the devil wants to take posesion of me and woke up in the middle of the night, could not talk, could not move and felt an extremly evil presence near me. I could only pray that God saves me and that state eventually vanished. I had such "visits" for a week every night at 1:50. Every night I woke up at the same time having those nightmares. It was horrible. I ended up sleeping with icons in my bed. I was sooo scared. It eventually stopped.
Even people who are not religious told me they feel an evil presence in that room.

Other than the Theotokos - the Archangel Michael is very good to pray to in the situation when you are in the presence of an evil spirit ... I have met other university students who studied abroad and came across a similar fate ... I wonder if there is a connection.

#9 Mary

Mary

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 04:34 AM

Other than the Theotokos - the Archangel Michael is very good to pray to in the situation when you are in the presence of an evil spirit ... I have met other university students who studied abroad and came across a similar fate ... I wonder if there is a connection.

I wouldn't know what kind of connection to look for! I experienced the same thing as Amalia, only it was in my own bed! It hadn't happened before, and it hasn't happened since, and I dont' remember the things happening in my life at the time, so I can't say if there's a connection. But it was almost identical to Amalia's experience. At first, I thought I was dreaming, but it wasn't a nice dream. I felt like someone was inside our house who shouldn't be there, and when I found that person, it tried to hold me down. I tried to wrestle free, and I tried to scream, but no sound would come out and I couldn't move my hands. I especially wanted to get my right hand free, so I could make the sign of the cross. I wasn't able. I also, was trying to say "Lord have mercy," but I couldn't.

Then, I was able to move my wrist, and made a very tiny cross, and that started to lose the grip of the force on me. As soon as I felt it weaken, I made a bigger and bigger cross, till I was able to turn around and make the cross in front of it, then it disappeard. But then I was also able to get out of bed, and thought I had dreamed the whole thing. But I was feeling too scared, and din't care if it was just a dream. I went through the whole house, first my kids' rooms and made the sign of the cross everywhere. This was a few months ago. Nothing has happened since.

#10 Vasiliki D.

Vasiliki D.

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 06:57 AM

I know that there is a connection between the demonic evil spirit visiting a student who is living away from home ... it is VERY common, more common than most Orthodox think ... I personally have spoken to many students who have this experience.

I suppose I should have said, I dont know why there is such a high percentage - what is the connection in a spiritual sense ... the student either away from home or living at home is the target of these visitations more than older people ...

What I DO know and I know it well is that the Archangel Michael is the Orthodox patron to turn to ... he is the one who stood up to the legion and voiced the never to be forgotten word "Stomen" (Stamata) - Stop!

The devil cowers in the presence of the Archangel Michael, he is a mighty warrior against the devil - as his iconography and his warrior breast plate also show!

Holy Michael Archangel Mantamados, Panormitis - turn your attention and protect our students from the visitations of the evil one.

My personal opinion is that it is highly likely that the room that people visited by evil pneumata needs the Service of Holy Water read in that room with a priest ... and that they should check if they are wearing a cross and have an icon hanging over their bed. 90% of cases these things are missing and so the students are not protected ...

#11 Ama

Ama

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 06:20 PM

That is interesting what you wrote Vasiliki. I didn't know that there are many students experiencing that. Is it practicing Orthodox students you are talking about or are they rather not involved with the church?
What I noticed in my case is that everytime I have such visitations after a while some difficult situation comes into my life.
Last time I had visitations was when I came home after spending 2 days at a monastery where I also made a quite thorough confession. It's like the devil got very upset by it.

#12 Vasiliki D.

Vasiliki D.

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 02:37 AM

Amalia dearest {{hugs}}

Well, I am only speaking from my own interactions so this is not necessarily what is happening out there to everyone; its just my own statistics point in this direction ... what I have noticed is that those students who are 'visited' by the devil do tend to have certain things in common.

The first thing I have noticed is that all of them have a "kind heartedness" about them ... they all tend to be warm and friendly individuals with a natural disposition in the virtue of "unselfish love" ...

The second thing I have noticed is that all of them believe in God but are not necessarily well-instructed in the matters of the Church nor are they practicising properly, like you pointed out they are tempted just after a conscious effort to make an effort and/or preceeding a bad event.

The third thing I have noticed is that all of them have "someone" in their family (mother, auntie etc) who is 'deeply involved' in the church ... that one is the most interesting ... who is praying for them the most in or around the time of the visitations. It seems to be a reason why they are 'saved' from the evil, the fact that someone is praying.

Vasiliki

#13 Paul Cowan

Paul Cowan

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 04:34 AM

I was a poorly practising protestant in college, but I did "believe" yet I knew I was breaking all the rules also. I think perhaps being away from home and caring family and a praying mother and the fact most kids push the envelope; Orthodox or not. I can't recall any one specific time during this period of my life, but yeah, I allowed myself to be engulfed in an atmosphere of evil. There are things I did I would never have done if held accountable. My fault? yes. Influenced from an outside source? possibly. I would like to shift the blame for my behavior to "something" else. But has man not done this from the beginning?

The devil cannot Make us Do anything we are already not willing to do.

I have also "heard" a voice when I was in a better place that I attriubted to God. SO maybe that part of the Creed "I believe in all things visible and invisible" has something to it afterall.

Paul

#14 Paul J.

Paul J.

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 01:02 AM

Hello all, I know that i have been asking a lot of questions about orthodoxy that I should of already known before i was baptized, but that wasn't required of me, and I live in Romania and donnot speak the language so i can't just go ask somebody, thats why im asking here...

so my question is, How do you know if you have a demonic presence in your home? and how do you get rid of it? can you do it yourself with holy water? also what attracts them?

Add some fasting to your prayer life. It puts power in your prayers. Sometimes, simply worshiping/praising your Lord and King Jesus is all you need to "turn on the Light" in any place you feel may be "haunted" if you catch my meaning. You turn on the Light, and darkness must flee. It isn't so much the symbols you use or hang on your wall, because there are a lot of people who use symbols who have no relationship with God. I do not keep much in the way of any religious symbols in my home (though don't get me wrong...I'm not against other believers who do), yet one morning as I was waking up, the Spirit compelled me to say the words "The Lord rebuke you." I did not know why I was prompted to say this until I felt the wind of an evil presence rushing past me, then heard the impact in my wall as it hastily exited to the back yard much in the same way a desperate person with diarrhea has to run to the bathroom. The strength of your relationship to God is what's the most important. Again, you may want to consider a few days of fasting, even though it may just be a "Daniel Fast" where you eat enough food to keep your energy going at work, yet give up the pleasant foods to God that you usually enjoy. Some demons, as Jesus said, only come out with "prayer and fasting" and a simple rebuke may not be enough to get rid of them. Either way, do not be afraid. "Greater is He (Christ) who is IN you, than he (the devil) who is in the world." (1 John 4:4)

#15 Paul Cowan

Paul Cowan

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 02:08 PM

Just recently my grandfather passed away. On the foundation of his old house (it collapsed 65+ years ago), my uncle built his house years ago. We were talking and there have been times when he was in bed and would hear the door open and close and "feel" somone getting in bed with him. Of course there was no one there.

Just last night he told me a story from just a few days ago. They put baby microphones in the house like you would use to hear for a baby's crib so they could hear grandaddy stirring from their bedroom and they could go down and check on him. Uncle Bubba told his wife "listen. Do you hear those children giggling over the intercom? We must be picking up somoen's radio signal." She said she heard the same children giggling just a couple of days before. The next morning they went down and asked grandaddy how he slept. He said fine, but would have been better if those children had left him alone.

Paul

#16 Niko Barounis

Niko Barounis

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 09:57 PM

hey guys, please dont get me wrong, im not saying what you have experienced did not happen. Nor that its not supernatural. I have also experienced those type of thngs you talk abt and more! Though i dont want to talk abt them.

What im getting at is , have you heard of "old hag syndrom" it might explain the not being able to move while sleeping. here is a link for info on it. http://paranormal.ab...ag-Syndrome.htm

What i sugest is pray and pray and then pray some more. go to church, fast and take communion. Then the devil/demons will have no power over you! also what everyone else sugested above is good advice, holy water, icons and the like.

FYI: What is happening ccould also be an indicator that your faith is getting stronger, or something you did or were abt to do did or will make you get closer to God! These things happen when you are moving closer to god. demons dont like that and they try to scare you or they try to make you stop, anyway they can. Or a demon could have always been with you and helped you make the wrong decisions in your life, placing you further from God, but you never knew it caus it would not make itself known to you.But then you might have started moving toward God somehow and then you realised it or it made itself known. either way, remember evan though scarry they cant make you do anything you dont want to do.

May Archangle Michale Tarrxiahis be by our side, always.

#17 Jeremy Troy

Jeremy Troy

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 05:45 AM

I've experienced sleep paralysis (what Niko referred to as "old hag syndrome") on and off for the past ten years or so. It's interesting for me to think about it. On the one hand, there are well-documented psychological studies on the phenomenon, and it's a fairly well-known and common thing. On the other hand, we know so little about sleep and dreams that it's hard to pin-point an exact cause. Ultimately, I think that it's a false dichotomy to ask, "is this spiritual, or is this psychological?" Life does not come neatly divided like that.

As far as students having this experience more often, I think we first need to look at the rather mundane reasons. Students who move away to college suddenly have a huge change in nearly every aspect of their lives. They are eating differently. They are sleeping differently. They are socializing differently. They are (hopefully) thinking about things differently. These changes add up; an irregular diet and sleep schedule can easily produce strange dreams and sleep disturbances. This can manifest itself in other ways as well. When I first moved from Michigan to Wyoming for grad school, I found that I had a much more difficult time controlling the passions that I had nearly eliminated before. It's tempting to look for reasons that the devil might have to tempt me more at that time than he did before, but I suspect that it had more to do with the complex and mundane life habits that I had built up over the years suddenly being thrown off.

#18 Paul J.

Paul J.

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 03:44 AM

FYI: What is happening ccould also be an indicator that your faith is getting stronger, or something you did or were abt to do did or will make you get closer to God! These things happen when you are moving closer to god. demons dont like that and they try to scare you or they try to make you stop, anyway they can. Or a demon could have always been with you and helped you make the wrong decisions in your life, placing you further from God, but you never knew it caus it would not make itself known to you.But then you might have started moving toward God somehow and then you realised it or it made itself known. either way, remember evan though scarry they cant make you do anything you dont want to do.

This is so true. The enemy is angry and desperate because, as Revelation says, "his time is short".

#19 Paul Cowan

Paul Cowan

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 02:54 AM

How would he know? He obviously can't read otherwise he would have seen how the story ends. So as far as he is concerned he has all the time in the world to pester us. He has at least my life time...

#20 Mike L

Mike L

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 06:30 AM

How would he know? He obviously can't read otherwise he would have seen how the story ends. So as far as he is concerned he has all the time in the world to pester us. He has at least my life time...

Either that, or he truly believes in his prideful heart that he can thwart God's Plan! :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users