Taking an oath

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Photini

Guest_Photini
  • Guests

Posted 06 August 2003 - 01:31 PM

Good morning all.

It seems that soon I will be facing court over some issues. I have read in Scripture where our Lord warns against taking an oath. Does the oath our Lord warns about also apply to the oaths taken in court? If so, is there an alternative in our court system to taking the oath? I was just wondering.

Thanks for any imput.

photini, who humbly requests your prayers for strength to stand during this time

#2 Fr Averky

Fr Averky

Former frequent poster (deceased)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 672 posts

Posted 07 August 2003 - 06:02 AM

Dear Photini,

St. Paul tells us to obey those whom God has put over us. We are required to make oaths now and again, and as long as we are not required to take any oath against our
government or one which is evil, then we must. simply obey the law of the land, so do as you must.

In court we "Swear to tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth," and that would be expected of us as Christians-it is not an oath per se, but swearing in.

Fr. A.

#3 Owen Jones

Owen Jones

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,341 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 07 August 2003 - 01:30 PM

However, for much of America's early history, judges did not require Christians to take oaths in court, if they objected.

#4 Herman Blaydoe

Herman Blaydoe

• Moderators
  • 4,157 posts

Posted 07 August 2003 - 06:54 PM

Many, if not most, courts ask those who are about to testify, "Do you swear or affirm that the....

So, technically, you can merely affirm (I assume earnestly) rather than swear. FWIW

Herman the simple

#5 Angie

Angie

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 12:37 AM

Just wondering if you are supposed to go to court, and they tell you that you must swear on the bible, is this wrong?

I have been told it is wrong, and I believe this.  However, I was also told something different.

Could someone tell me what our orthodox faith believes according to our spiritual fathers?

Edited by Angie, 05 December 2014 - 12:38 AM.

#6 Michał

Michał

Conversationalist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 10:45 PM

Swearing on the Bible in courts is wrong because it's against the  separation of state and religion.

#7 Rdr Daniel (R.)

Rdr Daniel (R.)

Very Frequent Poster

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 704 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 11:33 PM

Just wondering if you are supposed to go to court, and they tell you that you must swear on the bible, is this wrong?

I have been told it is wrong, and I believe this.  However, I was also told something different.

Could someone tell me what our orthodox faith believes according to our spiritual fathers?

I can't give you a definite answer on the question, but personally I would venture to say, yes it is wrong. One because the Scriptures are holy and for spiritual edification and veneration, they are not something to be used for the swearing of a civil oath. Secondly St James the brother of God writes, "above all things, my brethren, swear not, neither by heaven, neither by the earth, neither by any other oath: but let your yea be yea; and your nay, nay; lest ye fall into condemnation."

Swearing on the Bible in courts is wrong because it's against the  separation of state and religion.

I think that is more of a consideration for the secular governments then for us religiously. In which case most countries do not have separation of state and religion, nor in quite a few cases is it even considered an issue.  

#8 Angie

Angie

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 06 December 2014 - 09:50 AM

Thankyou.  I thought so

#9 Michał

Michał

Conversationalist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 06 December 2014 - 11:47 AM

If taking oaths is so bad why do little schema tonsure  requires 4 of them?

#10 Ben Johnson

Ben Johnson

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 06 December 2014 - 07:15 PM

"Then the angel whom I saw standing on the sea and on the land lifted up his right hand to heaven, and swore by Him who lives forever and ever, WHO CREATED HEAVEN AND THE THINGS IN IT, AND THE EARTH AND THE THINGS IN IT, AND THE SEA AND THE THINGS IN IT, that there will be delay no longer, but in the days of the voice of the seventh angel, when he is about to sound, then the mystery of God is finished, as He fnpreached to His servants the prophets" --  Reveation 10:5-7, NASB

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users