16 replies to this topic

#1 Fr Raphael Vereshack

Fr Raphael Vereshack

• Moderators
  • 4,420 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member
  • Verified Monastic Cleric

Posted 11 October 2006 - 11:41 AM

Weeks! Alas, I'd not heard of this issue since John's e-mail yesterday!

I've also no idea what's causing it, as it's not a problem I'm encountering myself. I'll look into it and see what I can discover.

INXC, Matthew

What happens is that the pages will take a long time to download. But then suddenly things speed up. Sometimes the slow time can last a good half hour or so it seems. I thought that maybe it was from a lot of traffic at Monachos.

In Christ- Fr Raphael

#2 Fr Raphael Vereshack

Fr Raphael Vereshack

• Moderators
  • 4,420 posts

Posted 12 October 2006 - 09:28 PM

I'm not sure whether what I'm describing is the same as others or not. This morning once again each page took over a minute or so to load. This lasted maybe a half hour or so then it went back to normal which is usually a few seconds. This problem began a few weeks or a month ago.

By the way at the bottom left of my screen during the long waits what appears is the message : 'waiting for www.monachos'.

In Christ- Fr Raphael

#3 Peter Farrington

Peter Farrington

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 647 posts

Posted 14 October 2006 - 11:45 AM

The site does go very slow for me too. It's slow at the moment.

I am on a 10Mb connection and most other sites are pretty fast.

Best wishes

Peter

#4 Kris

Kris

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 14 October 2006 - 11:58 AM

The site does go very slow for me too. It's slow at the moment.

I am on a 10Mb connection and most other sites are pretty fast.

Best wishes

Peter

Me too. I've had many days where its so slow I can't even get onto the site at all. I have a fast connection, and all other sites are fine.

Unfortunate since this is one of my favourites :(

#5 M.C. Steenberg

M.C. Steenberg

Former Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,843 posts

Posted 14 October 2006 - 02:17 PM

Dear all,

Just a note on the sluggish response of the server over the past week or two. This is a server issue, with regard to which I've contacted our hosting company and await some manner of resolution (e.g. moving the system to a faster server). I'll keep the Community informed of progress.

In the meantime, during periods when the system is slow, I've found that hitting the 'stop' button then re-loading a page sometimes causes it to display much faster -- it seems to be initialising a page that sometimes snags; once a page starts to load properly, it tends to do so rather quickly.

I do hope the current server company will be able to sort through this matter. Else we'll need to look into other hosting options. This would, of course, be an ideal time for some keen reader to donate $500 or $1,000 for a new server. ;)

INXC, Matthew

#6 Peter Farrington

Peter Farrington

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 647 posts

Posted 14 October 2006 - 04:33 PM

Hi M.C. Steenberg

Are you able to give a rough idea of monthly costs for the forum, especiallyt moving to a quicker server? Then we could see if those who are able could cover the costs?

Peter

#7 M.C. Steenberg

M.C. Steenberg

Former Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,843 posts

Posted 15 October 2006 - 01:28 PM

Above, Peter wrote:

Are you able to give a rough idea of monthly costs for the forum, especiallyt moving to a quicker server? Then we could see if those who are able could cover the costs?

(Do please call me Matthew!)

A realistic assessment would be that it would take between $600-$1,000 USD (approximately £330-£550 GBP) -- and probably on the higher side of that sliding scale -- to upgrade to the type of servers that would more adequately provide for our level of traffic and deliver consistent high-speed performance. Monachos.net has simply grown into a site of such a size and traffic that it requires bigger servers to keep up with its load.

We're working this weekend on some temporary measures to combat the current sluggishness. But the long-term solution will need to be a major server upgrade.

INXC, Matthew

#8 Peter Farrington

Peter Farrington

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 647 posts

Posted 15 October 2006 - 01:45 PM

Is that annually or monthly?

Peter

#9 M.C. Steenberg

M.C. Steenberg

Former Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,843 posts

Posted 15 October 2006 - 02:28 PM

Is that annually or monthly?

Apologies, I should have noted that the above is annual, not monthly. Thank you for keeping me on my toes, Peter!

INXC, Matthew

#10 Peter Farrington

Peter Farrington

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 647 posts

Posted 15 October 2006 - 09:45 PM

So we are looking at perhaps £40-£50 a month.

So perhaps if 50 subscribers were willing to subscribe £1 a month with paypal?

Or you could perhaps set up several monthly subscriptions rates?

I know that I'd certainly be willing to take out such a subscription.

Best wishes

Peter

#11 John Charmley

John Charmley

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,101 posts
  • Guest from Another Religious Tradition

Posted 16 October 2006 - 08:58 AM

So we are looking at perhaps £40-£50 a month.

So perhaps if 50 subscribers were willing to subscribe £1 a month with paypal?

Or you could perhaps set up several monthly subscriptions rates?

I know that I'd certainly be willing to take out such a subscription.

Best wishes

Peter

Dear Peter,

That seesm like a good idea, and I would be in.

yours ever

John

#12 Peter Farrington

Peter Farrington

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 647 posts

Posted 17 October 2006 - 08:50 AM

Hi Matthew

Site feels a lot quicker now and I'm not seeing any of the delays loading pages on the forums which were a feature previously.

Do consider setting up a £1 a month Paypal subscription for those who want to support the site in that way. I am sure that there are 50 of us who would want to.

Peter

#13 M.C. Steenberg

M.C. Steenberg

Former Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,843 posts

Posted 17 October 2006 - 10:39 AM

Dear all,

Many of you will have noticed a rather dramatic increase in server performance since yesterday, when we initiated a rather sweeping server upgrade. The whole web site should be operating at a much faster level -- including this Discussion Community.

INXC, Matthew

#14 Fr Raphael Vereshack

Fr Raphael Vereshack

• Moderators
  • 4,420 posts

Posted 17 October 2006 - 02:55 PM

Dear all,

Many of you will have noticed a rather dramatic increase in server performance since yesterday, when we initiated a rather sweeping server upgrade. The whole web site should be operating at a much faster level -- including this Discussion Community.

INXC, Matthew

Absolutely and totally! Thanks so much! :)

In Christ- Fr Raphael

#15 Fr Seraphim (Black)

Fr Seraphim (Black)

Retired member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 17 October 2006 - 05:10 PM

Dear Matthew et al.,

Thank you so much, the speed performance is wonderful. Unfortunately, the human body and soul are not so simple. Such an upgrade in server possibilities for my (our) health would make a dramatic improvement!

Nevertheless, the daily sayings of the Fathers on the Main Page are a great source of inspiration, not to mention the entire Monachos site.

Thank you for all your labour for the Lord.

#16 John Charmley

John Charmley

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,101 posts
  • Guest from Another Religious Tradition

Posted 17 October 2006 - 09:06 PM

Dear all,

INXC, Matthew

Dear Matthew,

Indeed, it is so swift as to be almost unnerving - and very :cool: with it.

Many thanks. Do let us know whether you think there is anything in Peter's suggestion and offer.

Many thanks

John

#17 Marie+Duquette

Marie+Duquette

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 21 October 2006 - 10:17 PM

Dear Matthew,

Lately I have not posted on the Monachos site, as I see the notice when site is accessed.
My access to Monachos is still so very slow! Could this be because my server is "dial-up"?
In the years that I have been a member of Monachos, it was always a "joy" to read posts or post replies. I find this increasingly more difficult because of the "SLOWNESS" that I experience.
Perhaps by posting these few words, my server will pick up the speed that the above posters are raving about!

God bless you for all the efforts put into making this very informative and enlightening site available!

marie_duquette

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users