Daniela S.

Junior Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 16 October 2013 - 02:07 PM

Greetings to All,

I would ask my priest this question, but he is out of the country currently.  This is my first time experiencing "Halloween" since my baptism.  At my workplace there is a mandatory meeting coming up, at which our leadership have planned a costume party as a reward for the hard work our team has done recently.  I want to show my gratitude and participate in the meeting and the "party", but I am not very comfortable with the Halloween aspect of it. I do not want to offend or hurt anyone by seeming non-participatory or ungrateful.  Most importantly, I do not want to compromise my Christianity. I should also point out that I work in retail, where the current cultural trends are particularly difficult to navigate at times. Does anyone have suggestions on how to approach this situation? 

In Christ,

Daniela

#2 Lakis Papas

Lakis Papas

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 04:52 PM

If you consider the costume as "work requirement" and the you choose a "neutral costume" (for example german beer girl traditional costume - Octoberfest type costume), then  I think you'll have no problem participated in the party. You 'll be dressed in a traditional folklore costume (there is no spiritual conflict with that type of dress).

Edited by Lakis Papas, 16 October 2013 - 04:55 PM.

#3 Paul Cowan

Paul Cowan

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 05:23 AM

Call in sick that day. You can "party" at Christmas time.

#4 Ryan

Ryan

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 837 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 09:55 AM

What exactly do you find objectionable about a costume party?

#5 Kusanagi

Kusanagi

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 716 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 12:45 PM

I wouldnt think you would like to go as an German Beer/ Ocktober Fest type girl. You dont have to go with what everyone else usually does.

It is after all originally a Christian holiday albeit a RC one i believe.

Wear a sports top and say you are going as such and such a fan of said sports team.

#6 Father David Moser

Father David Moser

• Moderators
  • 3,581 posts
  • Verified Cleric

Posted 17 October 2013 - 03:09 PM

When I used to work in a secular job, at the annual halloween dress up party, I simply came as myself (and dressed accordingly since I am a priest after all).  I realize you don't have this option (of being a priest) however, you can still come as yourself - a pious modest Orthodox Christian woman.  There are any number of saints that you can take as a model for how to portray yourself.

Fr David

#7 Daniela S.

Daniela S.

Junior Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 06:36 PM

My main concern is with the attention we get when we put on a costume. It seems that it would automatically put me in a state of mind focusing too much on myself. It will also be very silly, and one of my struggles is that I easily get caught up in being a comedian and seeking attention in such situations. However, I might get just as much attention by sitting in a corner and not participating! I think I'm trying to figure out an appropriate moderate approach.

#8 Paul Cowan

Paul Cowan

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 03:50 AM

I still say refer to post #3. For me, myself and I, its not just the costuming of myself that would bother me, but that of others. I prefer to control my surroundings a bit more.

#9 Niko Barounis

Niko Barounis

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 05:08 AM

you dont have to dress up as anything! you will not get in trouble for not dressing up! Just tell them, if they ask, im Orthodox and we dont celebrate the satanic holloween holiday! Or just dont show up and if yo are later asked why, tell them what i said above.

You/we have the right to NOT be pressured into things that go against our religion. If some official action/repremand or undo pressure is present cause of you religous belifes then speek to humanresorces, and let them know you are considering suing them.

just cause someone gives you a pay check they cant control our personal lives.

#10 Herman Blaydoe

Herman Blaydoe

• Moderators
  • 4,157 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 04:12 PM

Just think of it as a costume party and not as a "Halloween" party. Avoid being competative or ostentatious. A simple modest costume can be easily thrown together. But then, you cannot be compelled to participate. Then again, do what I do, come as you "are". When they ask about your costume just tell them you are dressed like a homocidal maniac, they look like everybody else ... ;)

#11 Kosta

Kosta

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,517 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 01:36 AM

The problem is, Halloween was simply a kids day. It has morphed into a day for adults to behave badly. Why adult women feel that it's ok to dress up immodest on this day is hard to fathom. Can you imagine just a few decades ago for mom our grandma to dress up as a tramp, yet this is what is happening.

But that's what happens when a society no longer has culture. It must fabricate meaningless holidays for itself. Once you overthrow tradition and the altar in the name of secularism there is nothing left to conserve.

Edited by Kosta, 19 October 2013 - 01:38 AM.

#12 Ben Johnson

Ben Johnson

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 03:27 AM

A few years ago, the Mrs. got ahold of some fatigues and went as a soldier.

#13 Rdr Daniel (R.)

Rdr Daniel (R.)

Very Frequent Poster

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 705 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 02:12 PM

Personally I would not go, I know of the importance of being sociable with people especially your work colleges, yet I still feel due to the pagan nature of it, that it would be best not to go, I know we are told at church not to take part in Hallowen but rather to pray to Saints Cosmas and Damian who's feast is the next day and to reflect on their lives. Whatever your decision make it with prayer.

In Christ.

Daniel,

#14 Daniela S.

Daniela S.

Junior Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 07:45 PM

I should point out that the meeting is mandatory, but the costume is not. No one in my workplace has made me feel otherwise. Skipping the meeting is not feasible due to the attendance policy and my need to keep my job. I think I will just attend without a costume, as I'm guessing a couple of other co-workers will also do. Perhaps this way I will participate enough to fulfill my work duties without either compromising my faith or creating division by "taking a stand". Taking such a stand on my workplace would not help at all since very few of my co-workers would even understand it, even if I explained it to them.

#15 Rdr Daniel (R.)

Rdr Daniel (R.)

Very Frequent Poster

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 705 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 08:41 PM

Sorry Daniela, 

I thought you meant that there was a mandatory meeting, with a party afterwards rather than it being at the same time. 

In Christ.

Daniel,

Edited by Daniel R., 20 October 2013 - 08:41 PM.

#16 Daniela S.

Daniela S.

Junior Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 11:23 PM

There is no need to apologize. I thank all who have responded, and the opportunity to hear various thoughts on this was why I posted my question.  I appreciate all responses, it has been very helpful to hear the experiences and thoughts of fellow orthodox christians.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users