Paul Cowan

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 18 January 2007 - 03:45 AM

Thank you Father David.
I was wondering why no one had not already thought of that. I suppose I should actually take the recommended tutorial ar just thumb around a bit.

I guess it is kinda like the church. There is nothing new under the sun. Everything has already been tried by someone in the past.

Paul

#22 Fr Raphael Vereshack

Fr Raphael Vereshack

• Moderators
  • 4,420 posts
  • Verified Monastic Cleric

Posted 18 January 2007 - 01:54 PM

I also wonder if you are subscribed to the active threads? If so then each new post arrives in your email inbox. There is a link in each of these posts in your email inbox which takes you to the actual post on its thread. All posts made after this already appear and can be read simply by scrolling down. After reading all the new posts on the thread you can then press the New Posts link at the top of the page and go through all the unread posts in this way.

Personally I like to use this feature as it allows one to make a choice from ones' email inbox to either go to the actual thread and read all new posts (especially if you want to reply); to only read the posts in your inbox; or to delete new posts which have accumulated in your inbox.

This allows for a quick way for dealing with a lot of accumulated and unread messages.

In Christ- Fr Raphael

#23 Paul Cowan

Paul Cowan

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 04:10 AM

Thank you Father:
Actually I spend a couple of hours a night on the main site. I delete the e-mail links as I get them throughout the day because I intend to spend so much time directly in the site at night. I don't even look at the titles. As today, I deleted 6 messages and tonight I have already spent over 45 minutes just reading all the posts.

Why pay the delivery boy when you can pay the merchant? But thank you for the suggestion.
Paul

#24 M.C. Steenberg

M.C. Steenberg

Former Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,843 posts

Posted 26 January 2007 - 09:50 AM

Dear all,

I've received such a number of requests for some form of return of the Feedback system, which has recently been disabled, that I've been putting my head towards ways in which this might be done without some of the negative, or un-community-orientated, aspects of the system previously.

I am pondering re-enabling the system, with the following changes from the previous:

• The feedback system will not accumulate 'reputation points' for display in any public manner; it will simply be a means for readers of a given post to indicate to the poster that they thought highly of the given message. Feedback comments will be visible in the User Control Panel, as before, but the feedback/reputation points markers in user profiles (the little green and red dots) will no longer be present.
  • The feedback system will not have a 'positive / negative' option: it will simply have a positive setting and a field for comment -- as the purpose of such a system is to let a poster know if you particularly enjoyed their post, without necessarily wishing to make a public post to the whole forum to this effect.
  • The feedback system will show members the name of the member who left feedback. Rather than the anonymous system employed previously, the Discussion Community username of the person leaving feedback will be visible to members, which is more consonant with the Community's emphasis on honesty and openness.

I am happy to receive people's comments on the above ideas, whether in the present thread or via Private Messaging.

One issue that needs to be considered: When the system is switched to cause members to see the username of those who have left feedback items, all past feedback received will similarly show the identity of the poster. As previously the policy was not to show usernames, this could potentially upset some. Do members think we should delete all past feedback system-wide, and start from scratch?

INXC, Matthew

#25 M.C. Steenberg

M.C. Steenberg

Former Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,843 posts

Posted 26 January 2007 - 12:40 PM

One issue that needs to be considered: When the system is switched to cause members to see the username of those who have left feedback items, all past feedback received will similarly show the identity of the poster. As previously the policy was not to show usernames, this could potentially upset some. Do members think we should delete all past feedback system-wide, and start from scratch?

Having conferred with a few programming-minded individuals, we think we've now sorted a way around this, such that old feedback comments can be retained anonymously once we switch to the new system. Thus all previous feedback comments will remain, anonymous as before, and any new feedback left will include the commentor's name.

INXC Matthew

#26 Fr Raphael Vereshack

Fr Raphael Vereshack

• Moderators
  • 4,420 posts
  • Verified Monastic Cleric

Posted 26 January 2007 - 03:18 PM

Yes, I think that it would be important to start from scratch as it were. It could very well be that people who left feedback with the old system did so in a different spirit from what would occur with the new.

In Christ- Fr Raphael

#27 John Charmley

John Charmley

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,101 posts
  • Guest from Another Religious Tradition

Posted 26 January 2007 - 03:21 PM

Having conferred with a few programming-minded individuals, we think we've now sorted a way around this, such that old feedback comments can be retained anonymously once we switch to the new system. Thus all previous feedback comments will remain, anonymous as before, and any new feedback left will include the commentor's name.

INXC Matthew

Dear Matthew,

Thank you - you and your programming chums seem to have come up with the ideal arrangement.

INXC,

John

#28 M.C. Steenberg

M.C. Steenberg

Former Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,843 posts

Posted 17 February 2007 - 08:07 PM

Dear friends,

By popular demand, we have enabled the new feedback system, which has been designed around member requests -- namely, to have the option to leave feedback on specific posts for the poster as before, but non-anonymously and not linked to a 'reputation' system that tallies points, positive and negative, etc.

As such, you'll see the little 'Leave feedback' icon back on posts from today. Clicking it will open the small feedback window, allowing you to leave a note of appreciation for the post to the member who posted it. Such feedback notes, when left for your, are visible in your user control panel.

Please note the 'I approve' / 'I disapprove' options are no longer present: this system is intended for positive feedback messages -- i.e. notes of thanks or appreciation to a fellow member, which you wish to make without necessarily taking up space in the discussion thread itself.

INXC, Matthew

#29 John Charmley

John Charmley

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,101 posts
  • Guest from Another Religious Tradition

Posted 17 February 2007 - 08:16 PM

Dear Matthew,

Many thanks for this; I am sure that (for once) I would command unanimity in thanking you for all the work you put into this site, which is such a blessing to so many.

Thank you.

In Christ,

John

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users