35 replies to this topic

#21 Kusanagi

Kusanagi

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 10:35 PM

Remember to have it standing up if possible and to have the icons above your waist height.

#22 Steven Shelton

Steven Shelton

Junior Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 02:41 PM

In my room i have the icon of our lord and a icon of the holy Theotokos the holy trinity my names day saint (protomyrtar St Stephen ) the holy cross , St Herman of Alaska , St Moses of Ethiopan,Mary of egypt these i venerate daily to start my day and end it .
I choose these saints Moses , Mary , Herman because they were imperfect humans who overcame there sins and choose instead a life dedicated to God they are examples for me in my life , as our lord said with God nothing is imposible .

#23 Herman G.

Herman G.

Regular Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 27 July 2012 - 04:36 PM

In addition to icons, is it suitable to place other objects like candles or incense containers (forgive me if this isn't the proper term)?

Also, the best place in our home would be our living room. We haven't watched TV in 5 years and have it in an entertainment center to watch an occasion DVD when guests are over. I'd like to convert this and get rid of all this useless equipment. However, this is the first room you walk into from the front door. Would it seem off putting to have a prayer corner so close to the main entrance of the house? I don't want it to seem as if we're showing off when guests come over and sit in the living room.

#24 Father David Moser

Father David Moser

• Moderators
  • 3,581 posts
  • Verified Cleric

Posted 27 July 2012 - 06:07 PM

Ithis is the first room you walk into from the front door. Would it seem off putting to have a prayer corner so close to the main entrance of the house

Traditionally the icons are placed where they can be seen as the first thing entering a room.

Fr David

#25 Herman G.

Herman G.

Regular Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 06:28 PM

Traditionally the icons are placed where they can be seen as the first thing entering a room.

Fr David

Thank you Father for clarifying this for me.

#26 Phoebe K.

Phoebe K.

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 07:37 PM

Where do I put icons when both the eastern corner of the room and the wall seen on first entering are both not possible?

It is not possible to move my bed from the eastern corner (due to where the other pieces of furniture have to be and the size of my room) and the wall opersit the door is the window. I cannot use another room as I am the only orthodox Christian (catacumin) in the house as I have converted from a non believing family.

Phoebe

#27 Rdr Daniel (R.)

Rdr Daniel (R.)

Very Frequent Poster

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 705 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 09:10 PM

Dear Pheobe,

As you cannot use the geographical east corner, then I would use one of the other corners or walls as a liturgical east, I don't think it matters which, though I would not use the west if possible as you would then be praying with your back facing east.

In Christ.
Daniel,

#28 Olga

Olga

• Moderators
  • 2,827 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 11:19 PM

Phoebe, it is more important that you have somewhere as an icon corner where you can pray, do not fret if you can't use the eastern corner. Even placing your icons on a table, shelf or cabinet against a wall is quite OK if a corner isn't possible.

#29 Richard A. Downing

Richard A. Downing

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 07:10 AM

I was in a nun's cell last week ( installing her IT equipment, and in my podryasnik too! ) and there was not one square metre of wall-space without some ikons. This I think is the ideal - so that Prayer-without-ceasing is kind of inevitable.

I have my ikons arranged on the north wall behind my workstation, so that I just have to look up. As my wife isn't orthodox, I have to be sensitive to her feelings too, so they need to be not too 'in your face', but yet I do want her to see them - as I live in hope. So there are many things to take into account.

Love,
Richard.

#30 Craig R

Craig R

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 06:02 AM

I am a catechumen and my wife has no interest in Orthodoxy though in a sense she has given me her "blessing" in my choice to join the Church and is supportive. I have a few Icons that I keep above my nightstand that i pray before in the evening before bed(i go to bed before her so she is not in there). But in the morning i wake up very early for work so my wife is asleep in the room and I don't want to disturb her or make her uncomfortable with me praying in front of the Icons. My question is could I move my Icons down stairs where nobody is awake yet and set them on the table or someplace to pray in front of or would this be disrespectful of the Icons? I want to be respectful of my wife and not cause reason for disunity in the home, but also find much help in praying with Icons. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

#31 Olga

Olga

• Moderators
  • 2,827 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 08:50 AM

Craig, what's more important is that you pray, not the actual location of where you do so. Your priest's advice is what you should follow, of course, but I can't see a problem with you relocating your icons so as not to unduly disturb your wife.

It's also worth remembering that icon corners (including icons on a shelf or piece of furniture) need not be exclusively located in a bedroom. A great many Orthodox households have their icon assortment in the kitchen, or in the dining or living room. Even more have an icon hanging high in the corner of each main room of the house, in addition to an icon corner somewhere.

#32 Norman George Barber

Norman George Barber

Junior Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 01:51 PM

My icon corner is in my den, on the east and north wall. I also have icons in the bedroom, kitchen, and breakfast room.

I live alone so I don't have the problem you have, The house has been blessed and I have received no complaints or comments in reguards to where it is, so I would dare to say it is OK

#33 Rdr Andreas

Rdr Andreas

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,032 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 02:40 PM

Bishop Irenaeos told me to have icons in all rooms (except the bathroom, of course).  He suggested having icons of saints to whom I felt some attraction and that they could be rotated as one saint swam out of view and another came in.

#34 Effie Ganatsios

Effie Ganatsios

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,725 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 06:34 AM

Firstly, the icons should be blessed.  We give them to our priest and he leaves them in the church for 40 days.

For me, the most important thing is to connect with the icon.  Meditate on what is depicted in the icon  and allow your heart to become one with it.  We do not worship icons, we worship only God. 

"Icons also lift up our minds from earthly things to the heavenly. St. John of Damascus wrote, "we are led by perceptible Icons to the contemplation of the divine and spiritual" (PG 94:1261a). And by keeping their memory before us through the Icons, we are also inspired to imitate the holiness of those therein depicted."

http://orthodoxinfo....l/icon_faq.aspx

As pagan temples are torn down and replaced with churches, I tore down my entertainment center and replaced it with my icon "wall". I don't really have any corners that would do justice, so I just use the north wall in my living room. ok, not the whole 20 foot wall, but perhaps a third of it. The only eastern facing wall I have is acutally our wet bar and though there is not a drop of alcohol over there, it just doesn't "feel" right to put icons in that space. Besides, there is a smoked mirror and I do NOT want to watch myself pray.

Paul, Father Paisios was very particular about the placement of icons.   It is as you said.   You put an icon in a holy place, a place that is holy to you.

effie

#35 Alice

Alice

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 673 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 07:04 PM

I have icons all over my house...my great grandfather was a sea man and a Russian who he was sailing with (after the Bolshevik revolution) gave him a beautiful icon of Panaghia Odigitria encased in silver and then put into a wood frame. I have this in my entry, and everyone who comes in notices it.

On my bedroom wall I have a handpainted icon of St. Xenia Petersburg.

In my dining room I have a rock icon (made in monasteries here in the U.S.) of the Archangel Michael on a little stand.

In my living room I have (inherited and wedding gifts) silver icons of St. Panteleimon and St. Paraskevi on little stands.

In my mother's bedroom she has a beautiful Cretan school style icon which is an old family icon of Jesus at the well  on her wall. This icon miraculously saved my great grandmother in the great earthquake of Chios when she was just a baby. The entire house collapsed except for the crib of my great grandmother against the wall with this icon hanging. Only the baby, the crib and the icon survived.

The list goes on and on...LOL...there is an icon in every space of my house except the bathrooms, ofcourse.

Then I have an icon 'shelf' in one of my closets with many more icons (..in Greek families, you inherit many), my wedding crowns, and holy oils.

#36 Athanasia

Athanasia

Junior Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 02:01 AM

It has been fun to read everyone's comments about where their icons are in their homes!  Unfortunately I cannot put my icon corner in any prominent place that you see when you walk in the front door.  However, they are in a room we (really, I) use as an office in the eastern corner.  I have a hip-height wooden filing cabinet that makes a lovely place to keep my Bible, prayer books, candle and holy water.  Above it and on the right wall is an icon of St. Anna and the Theotokos.  Above and to the left is an Icon of Christ, one of the Theotokos, the Rubelev Trinity, St. Athanasius, St. John the Wonderworker and St. Xenia.  On my nightstand on my side of the bed is a tiny icon of the Theotokos.  I also have one icon hung above the door in one spare bedroom.  In the second spare bedroom, which I use as a sewing and art room, I have an icon of the Theotokos and the North American Saints hung above the window.  Above the door is an icon of St. Silouan and Righteous Sophrony.  On the bureau is an icon given to me by a friend upon my graduation from college of three monks climbing a hill.  I don't know what the proper name but I love that it shows monasticism and angels and Christ.

Craig, my husband is a faithful Christian but not Orthodox.  He hung the icons in my office and does not mind the other icons around the house.  Truly, truly a blessing!

Love in Christ, Athanasia

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users