#21 Daniela S.

Daniela S.

Junior Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 23 October 2013 - 01:00 AM

Indeed, the "New Era" consists of a wide range of numerous theosophist variations. The common denominator of all these is that:
  • God is impersonal.
  • All religions, all beliefs inevitably lead to God. 
  • Man has no benefit by following a specific religion.
  • New Age will lead man into self awareness, which is the ultimate goal.

Dear Lakis,

This is precisely the set of ideas which have been presented to me in a defensive way in these conversations. I also encounter a complete rejection of the idea of repentance in any form. It is basically mocked, and I think this may be because it cannot be understood by someone who is immersed in practices which promote the idea that we ourselves are gods within already. 

#22 Herman Blaydoe

Herman Blaydoe

• Moderators
  • 4,157 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 01:21 PM

Dear Lakis,
This is precisely the set of ideas which have been presented to me in a defensive way in these conversations. I also encounter a complete rejection of the idea of repentance in any form. It is basically mocked, and I think this may be because it cannot be understood by someone who is immersed in practices which promote the idea that we ourselves are gods within already.

Which is, basically, the "original sin", the reason for the Fall, Satan's biggest lie: "I am god, I don't need God." No wonder we don't quite see "eye-to-eye" with them.

#23 Lakis Papas

Lakis Papas

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 03:57 PM

Which is, basically, the "original sin", the reason for the Fall, Satan's biggest lie: "I am god, I don't need God." No wonder we don't quite see "eye-to-eye" with them.

This is right.

Also, many New Age followers are people that just made a mistake in their quest for exit from a life with no meaning. Simple solutions are providing an illusionistic "meaning for life". It is the duty of Christians to become the light of the world which will illuminate the darkness that covers the souls of fellow men/women. Our failure to do this, becomes our call for more authentic ascetic effort and for more authentic love.

Edited by Herman Blaydoe, 23 October 2013 - 06:33 PM.
removed extraneous formatting tags

#24 Daniela S.

Daniela S.

Junior Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 05:39 PM

It is the duty of Christians to become the light of the world which will illuminate the darkness that covers the souls of fellow men/women. Our failure to do this, becomes our call for more authentic ascetic effort and for more authentic love.

This seems very true. If our relationships with non-Christians focus on debating, can there be any profit, even if we win the debate? I don't know if anyone has ever turned to Christ solely because they were defeated in an argument.

#25 Lakis Papas

Lakis Papas

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 07:34 PM

Daniela I agree. 

I think, when we meet another person, either Christian, or non-Christian, our duty is to work with him/her for our common salvation. Who is right or wrong, or who persuates the other one, are not important things. What is important for both is to make steps towards salvation. This means to serve the needs of the soul of the other person (these needs sometimes has to do with the needs of the body) and to provide space for peace of Christ to enter in our hearts.

#26 Owen Jones

Owen Jones

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,341 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 04:26 PM

I think one approach to people who have a deepseated bias against what they perceive to be "religion" (bad) vs. "spirituality" (good) is to simply ask them to have an open mind. 

#27 Owen Jones

Owen Jones

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,341 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 05:20 PM

I think more to the underlying point here is that politics, religion, culture, economics these days are driven by a new tribalism.  And Christianity is despised because it transcends ancient and primitive tribalism.  Primitivism and tribalism prevail over faith and reason in most quarters.  Another way of looking at this is that modern movements, including quasi or erzats spiritual movements are basically nature religions that cannot handle a transcendent faith and desire to place power in immanent things.  It's all about control really, because it seems a lot easier to call upon an immanent power to do your bidding than a transcendent power.  You name it, then you control it, in a very magical way.  It's really the difference between magic and true religion.  Hegel really epitomizes this when he wrote that the mind of God and the mind of man have become one -- in Hegel!  This immanentization of the Spirit is what defines modernity. 

#28 Rick H.

Rick H.

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,231 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 12:53 PM

I think one approach to people who have a deepseated bias against what they perceive to be "religion" (bad) vs. "spirituality" (good) is to simply ask them to have an open mind. 

I think the reverse of this is also true. 

I also think there may be a "Spiritual I Q" question in this.

Edited by Rick H., 29 October 2013 - 12:55 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users