Angie

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 30 October 2013 - 05:11 AM

Hi

Can someone explain to me if dinosaurs roamed the earth before Adam & Eve, or after?

I have done a search, but couldn't find anything

Thanks

Angie

Edited by Angie, 30 October 2013 - 05:12 AM.

#2 Kosta

Kosta

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,517 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 07:17 AM

Before. There are no mention of dinosaurs in the bible, unless you interpret the passage about the 'giants (nephilim) that roamed the earth' as dinosaurs.

#3 Rdr Andreas

Rdr Andreas

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,032 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 08:36 AM

It would be interesting to know how dragons came to be so common in ancient tales.

#4 Lakis Papas

Lakis Papas

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 06:36 PM

Hi

Can someone explain to me if dinosaurs roamed the earth before Adam & Eve, or after?

I have done a search, but couldn't find anything

Thanks

Angie

As many Church Father explained, in their writings and homilies, Adam and Eve were created by God last of all the other created beings and in a different way. Man was the final act of God's will in the creation of the universe. Man is the crown of creation because he is made 'in our image, after our likeness' (Gen. 1, 26), that is man resembles God the Holy Trinity. 

St. Gregory of Nyssa writes (On the Soul and the Resurrection) http://www.newadvent...athers/2915.htm:

Seeing, then, that this life of sensation could not possibly exist apart from the matter which is the subject of it, and the intellectual life could not be embodied, either, without growing in the sentient, on this account the creation of man is related as coming last, as of one who took up into himself every single form of life, both that of plants and that which is seen in brutes.

Also St. Gregory of Nyssa writes (On the Making of Man) http://www.newadvent...athers/2914.htm:

If, therefore, Scripture tells us that man was made last, after every animate thing, the lawgiver is doing nothing else than declaring to us the doctrine of the soul, considering that what is perfect comes last, according to a certain necessary sequence in the order of things:...

Edited by Lakis Papas, 30 October 2013 - 06:37 PM.

#5 Lakis Papas

Lakis Papas

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 06:53 PM

It would be interesting to know how dragons came to be so common in ancient tales.

University of British Columbia evolutionary ecologist Rob Colautti has created a dragon phylogeny, or evolutionary tree. 

The analysis revealed 75 species of dragons that are very diverse: Others look like reptiles, some like fish, some like scaly, others with hair, others are winged and others do not have legs.

Colautti concluded that: Adding wings to a quadruped can match perfectly to the image we have in our imagination for a monster, but it is totally unsuited to any evolutionary theory and knowledge currently available. The number of limbs is a feature maintained during evolution, therefore all alive vertebrates originate from the same common ancestor have four limbs. Even the birds have two wings and two legs because they come from the same common ancestor.

Edited by Lakis Papas, 30 October 2013 - 06:54 PM.

#6 Angie

Angie

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 10:20 PM

Thank you everyone

A child asked me this question.

Also did God destroy the dinosaurs with a meteorite if so what happened to the people?

Thanks

#7 Kosta

Kosta

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,517 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 03:20 AM

Yes they died out. As in my previous post, if you interpret the giants mentioned in the genesis account in the Septuagint as a reference to dinosaurs, then they would have been killed off in a cataclysmic event. These giants are enumerated along with the human hybrids but as living in the past, the race created by intermarriage were wiped out by the flood.

#8 Rdr Andreas

Rdr Andreas

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,032 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 04:37 AM

"Intermarriage"?

#9 Kosta

Kosta

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,517 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 08:32 AM

"Intermarriage"?

I'm referencing Genesis 6.5:

"Now the giants were upon the earth in those days; and after that when the Sons of God were wont to go into the daughters of men, they bore them who were the giants of old, the men of renown. " Lxx

The sons of God mating with the daughters of men is what I meant as intermarriage. I've always been perplexed with the wording in the italics, "and after that".  

Does it imply that in the past there were some sort of giants that no longer are, and these humans have taken their place or are possibly seen in similar light as those giants and need to meet a similiar cataclysmic demise? Regardless if i'm reading to much into it; God decided to wipe them out with the flood.

Edited by Kosta, 31 October 2013 - 08:37 AM.

#10 John Frangos

John Frangos

Regular Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 09:26 AM

The question assumes the bible catalogues the natural science of prehistory in some sort of scientific order. Genesis does not do this.

#11 Angie

Angie

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 12:32 PM

Thank you

So how should I answer a 10 year old child?

#12 Herman Blaydoe

Herman Blaydoe

• Moderators
  • 4,157 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 07:04 PM

Thank you everyone

A child asked me this question.

Also did God destroy the dinosaurs with a meteorite if so what happened to the people?

Thanks

We don't really know that is what happened. This is a rather desputed theory, not a proven fact. If this is not what happened to the dinosaurs then we don't have to explain why it didn't happen to the people.

Herman

#13 Angie

Angie

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 01:19 AM

Okay, so it is a theory, thank you Herman

#14 Rdr Andreas

Rdr Andreas

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,032 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 08:54 AM

God created dinosaurs to give palaeontologists something to do.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users