365 replies to this topic

#1 Fr Aaron Warwick

Fr Aaron Warwick

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 12 January 2006 - 10:02 PM

I plan to be in the San Francisco area briefly next week for business. I hope to have some spare time to visit the Cathedral of the Mother of God "Joy of All who Sorrow." However, I have been unable to find an address and telephone number for the cathedral to see when it is open for veneration of St. John Maximovitch. If anyone could help provide me details, it would be much appreciated. Feel free to e-mail me privately or to respond to the list. Thank you.

Aaron

#2 Guest_Alexis L. Williams

Guest_Alexis L. Williams
  • Guests

Posted 16 January 2006 - 07:10 AM

Dear Aaron,

The address is:
6210 Geary Blvd.
San Francisco, CA 94121

And the Phone No:
(415) 221-3255

However, you'll have a better chance of actaully talking to someone if you call the bookstore at:
(415) 668-5218

Usually the cathedral is only open during services. As I recall Liturgy is at 8AM and Vespers is at 6PM. You'll want to call to make sure that's correct though.

Oh, if you look up directions to the cathedral online, don't use Mapquest. They're missing a turn somewhere in their directions and I always end up lost if I use them.

Hope that helps.
Alexis

#3 Guest_Baroness

Guest_Baroness
  • Guests

Posted 19 October 2005 - 06:31 AM

Hi everyone,

Does anyone have an icon of Saint Olympiada? I can't really find one on the Internet.

Also, does anyone know if the letters that St John Chrysostom wrote to Saint Olympiada are in a book format (preferably English)?

Thanks.
Joy in the Resurrected Christ!

#4 Ana Maria

Ana Maria

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 October 2005 - 07:41 AM

God bless you my dear brother in Christ.

I've just read your message and it happens that at the moment I am reading Saint John's letters wrote to Saint Olympiada,cause I have to write an essay for The History of Byzant.The book I am reading includes all the letters Saint Olympiada received not only from Saint John Chrysostom ,but as well as from Sain Gregory of Nysse and Saint Gregory of Nazianz(please forgive me ,I don't know how to write their names in English ).It is a very interesting book,cause it makes the spiritual profile of two of the most remarkable historical figure of the patristical age.I only regret that it is written in romanian,but I can write you some titles in english that I found as a bibliography for this subject.I hope you will find them.

Clark,E.A.,Ascetic Piety and Women's Faith.Essay on Late Ancient Christianity(Studies in Women and Religion 20)Lewinston-Queenston,1986. ID.,Jerome,Chrysostom and Friends.Essays and Translations,New York,1979

If you could read in French ,I could give you a title where you could find the letters and the life of Saint Olympiada.: Malingrey,A.-M.,Jean Chrysostom:Lettres a Olympias.Vie Anonyme d'Olympias(SC13 bis)Paris,1968

I know is not much,but I pray to God that He helps you to find what you search for,cause this letters are so beautiful,real lesson for the contemporary man.

With love in Christ, Ana Maria

#5 Olympiada

Olympiada

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 02 December 2005 - 12:52 AM

Hi I have three icons of Saint Olympiada and the letters from Saint John Chrysostom to her. Here is the web site of Holy Apostles Convent: http://www.holyapostlesconvent.org/

I also was given an icon and purchased another icon from my former mission's bookstore. I will try to locate the website for you. Here are the letters to Saint Olympias:
http://www.ccel.org/...109.xvii.i.html

#6 Olympiada

Olympiada

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 02 December 2005 - 02:42 PM

Here is the link to the bookstore I was telling you about yesterday:
http://www.archangelbookstore.com/

#7 Guest_Baroness

Guest_Baroness
  • Guests

Posted 04 December 2005 - 10:19 PM

Thank you all so much for your help! I'm going to go and read those letters now.

Joy in Christ!

#8 Olympiada

Olympiada

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 04 December 2005 - 11:37 PM

You are welcome. May I ask what your interest in them is?

#9 Guest_Baroness

Guest_Baroness
  • Guests

Posted 05 December 2005 - 01:05 AM

Sure ... I was listening to a talk (on CD) that M. Evfrosinia (from Lesna Convent) gave at a conference and the topic of the talk was Depression. She was talking about how St John Chrysostom wrote St Olypiada letters to encourage her faith, and I wondered what the letters consisted of and if they were still available today. To my delight, thanks to your link, I've just been reading through some of them now online. I really appreciate your help :-)

#10 Olympiada

Olympiada

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 05 December 2005 - 04:55 PM

Dear Baroness,

Is Lesna Convent associated with Saint Seraphim of Sarov in any way?

Also what is the connection between St Olympiada's discouragement and depression? Was Saint Olympiada battling depression? This could mean she and Saint John Chrysostom could be intercessors for depression. Interesting. What was causing Saint Olympiada to feel so discouraged by chance?

INXC
Olympiada

#11 Guest_Baroness

Guest_Baroness
  • Guests

Posted 05 December 2005 - 10:49 PM

More information on Lesna Convent:

Lesna Convent of the Most-Holy Mother of God
Provemont, France

The Convent was established in 1885 at the behest of Archbishop Leontii of Warsaw. The first abbess came to Lesna from Moscow along with five nuns. In 1889 the monastic community was reorganized into a general monastery and had town churches in St. Petersburg, Kholma, Warsaw and Yalta. The nuns taught children and the Convent became a center of Orthodoxy outside of Russia. The Royal Family visited the Convent twice. St. Amvrosii of Optina and St. John of Kronstadt were supporters of the Convent. In 1915, the Convent was evacuated into the depths of Russia—all 500 nunsand over 600 others. In 1917, at the invitation of then-Bishop Anastassy (Gribanovsky), the Convent moved to the Kishinev Diocese, and then to Yugoslavia, to Khopovo. From Khopovo, in 1950, the nuns of the Convent left for France (first to Fourquet, then to Provemont), where they remain to this day. In France, the Convent was frequently visited by St. John of Shanghai and San Francisco the Miracle-worker. The Mother Superior of the convent is Abbess Makrina. The main holy object of the convent is the Lesna Icon of the Mother of God. There also are the relics of St. Afanasii of Brest. The nuns bear a multitude of obediences: singing, cleaning, gardening, candle-making, icon-painting, a bookstore, and also warmly greet many visiting pilgrims.

COUVENT DE LESNA
1, rue du Moulin
Provemont, 27150 Etrepagny, FRANCE
Tel: 33 (2) 32 55 82 66; fax: 33 (2) 32 27 31 75

[LINK]

#12 Guest_Baroness

Guest_Baroness
  • Guests

Posted 05 December 2005 - 10:39 PM

Hi there, Olympiada. Forgive me for my ignorance, as there's still so much that I'm learning. I really don't know much about Lesna Convent myself, so found some more information on the website at:

http://www.roca.org/OA/41/41e.htm

Unfortunately, I really don't know much about St Olympiada's life either :-( I must go and read about her life again. From memory, I think her discouragement was caused by not only persecution, but also because she was close friends with St John Chrysostom, and he had been captured and sent away (in my layman's terms). But, as I read through the letters he sent to her, and they are beautifully written, I would say they both would be good intercessors for discouragement and depression. I'm sorry I can't be of more help to you at the moment ... I'll go and do some more homework, and see what else I can read up on.

#13 Olympiada

Olympiada

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 05:38 AM

Dear Baroness,

Is this the same Leushino convent of Abbess Thaisia, a spiritual daughter of Saint John of Kronstadt?

In Christ
Olympiada

#14 Guest_Baroness

Guest_Baroness
  • Guests

Posted 07 December 2005 - 10:13 PM

Hi Olympiada,

Lesna Convent is in France. Leushino Convent of Abbess Thaisia was in Russia. You can see photos at:

[link]

I don't know if these are recent photos or not, as I read this church / convent is now inundated by the Volga River Dam, at the bottom of which lie the relics of Abbess Thaisia!? How sad if it's true!

By the way, Abbess Thaisia's books are some of my favourites, and have helped me a lot.

Pray for me!
Baroness

#15 Guest_Acácio

Guest_Acácio
  • Guests

Posted 26 January 2006 - 04:08 PM

Dearest and beloved Father Seraphim,

Glory to God! I am very glad to hear you again!

Pray for all of us

In XC

#16 Fr Seraphim (Black)

Fr Seraphim (Black)

Retired member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 26 January 2006 - 05:47 PM

By the prayers of SO many God has brought me through. The operation was to be only two and a half hours, but when surgeon saw the actual situation it was a four and one half hour operation.

I have been heavily sedated since then, and only posted today due to Matthew's magnificent 'Preview' section.

The number of 'typos' I have made have even me amazed!

Again, by the prayers of so many people, even as Acacio, with whom I have corresponded but never met, Christ has kept me in this life.

That is now my 10th time in hospital. Perhaps one day I will be in the Guiness Book of World Records!

#17 Guest_Rafael Resende Daher

Guest_Rafael Resende Daher
  • Guests

Posted 26 January 2006 - 08:15 PM

Dearest Father Seraphim,

Im very glad too. Thanks to God and His Saints!

Pray for all of us!

IC XC NIKA

#18 Fr Raphael Vereshack

Fr Raphael Vereshack

• Moderators
  • 4,420 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member
  • Verified Monastic Cleric

Posted 26 January 2006 - 09:08 PM

Dear Fr Seraphim,

It is wonderful to see you back on your feet again.

In Christ- Fr Raphael

#19 Trudy

Trudy

Retired member, no longer active on forum

• Guests
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 10:02 PM

Glory to God!!!!!!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!!!!! Ah Fr. Seraphim, there are tears of joy in my eyes and heart to know that you are back and recovering!!!!

Yippeeeeeee!

In Christ, Athanasia

#20 Theopesta

Theopesta

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 03:51 AM

our father seraphem
welcome back:
He heals the broken in heart, and binds up their wounds.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users