365 replies to this topic

#361 Raymond Maxwell Spiotta

Raymond Maxwell Spiotta

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 30 December 2006 - 10:12 PM

Greetings in Christ.

My name is Raymond Spiotta. Being a convert to the Catholic Church from Protestantism, I technically belong to the Roman Rite inasmuch as that Rite is the nearest equivalent to the Protestant schism whence I came - the Catholic Church deals with Her converts' ritual jurisdiction in this manner. But aside from this I try to function practically as a Byzantine Catholic, at a Roumanian Rite parish, S. George's, in Aurora IL. There it was that only four months ago I was conditionally rebaptized & Chrismated. I am 18 years of age, & wish to discern where God is calling me before deciding into which Eastern Rite to transfer.

I am a freshman at Hillsdale College in MI, a small private school that has a fair number of Orthodox students & a couple Orthodox professors. It has been an enlightening experience befriending & interacting with them, and I desire to reap more of the same increase of knowledge from membership on this forum as I have from speaking with them. Convinced as I am of the Catholic Church's claim to be the only True One, it is nonetheless my desire to learn as much of the Orthodox Eastern Church - of its doctrines, practices & mindsets - as I can.

Glory to Christ our True God.

#362 Raymond Maxwell Spiotta

Raymond Maxwell Spiotta

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 30 December 2006 - 10:12 PM

Greetings in Christ.

My name is Raymond Spiotta. Being a convert to the Catholic Church from Protestantism, I technically belong to the Roman Rite inasmuch as that Rite is the nearest equivalent to the Protestant schism whence I came - the Catholic Church deals with Her converts' ritual jurisdiction in this manner. But aside from this I try to function practically as a Byzantine Catholic, at a Roumanian Rite parish, S. George's, in Aurora IL. There it was that only four months ago I was conditionally rebaptized & Chrismated. I am 18 years of age, & wish to discern where God is calling me before deciding into which Eastern Rite to transfer.

I am a freshman at Hillsdale College in MI, a small private school that has a fair number of Orthodox students & a couple Orthodox professors. It has been an enlightening experience befriending & interacting with them, and I desire to reap more of the same increase of knowledge from membership on this forum as I have from speaking with them. Convinced as I am of the Catholic Church's claim to be the only True One, it is nonetheless my desire to learn as much of the Orthodox Eastern Church - of its doctrines, practices & mindsets - as I can.

Glory to Christ our True God.

#363 Paul Cowan

Paul Cowan

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 31 December 2006 - 12:28 AM

Hello Raymond:
Welcome. I am sure you will find the answers you are looking for within this community. The Orthodox has it's own notion of the "True One" so I hope you read and interact with an open mind. It is full of men and women only here to discuss the Truth of the Church and all that implies.

Paul

#364 Greg Chesher

Greg Chesher

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 31 December 2006 - 08:35 AM

In the last few years I have become more and more interested in the music of the Russian Orthodox Church.
As far as Musorgsky is concerned, I first encountered at a funeral (in a Russian Orthodox Church) of a friend in Sydney Australia the apperarance of the music used by Musorgsky in his opera Boris Godunov in the scene the Death of Boris. Then again in Moscow a few years ago I heard once again the same theme, in what I am sure ws a funeral service. I would like to know if Musorgsky 'borrowed' this theme from the Orthodos service, or was it provided by Musorgsky for the Funeral service?
Can anyone enlighten me about this question, please?

GregChesher

#365 John Charmley

John Charmley

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,101 posts
  • Guest from Another Religious Tradition

Posted 31 December 2006 - 11:47 AM

Dear Raymond,

Welcome. This is a site where those who seek can find - and not only what they thought they were looking for.

May your feet be guided as He wishes, and may your good heart take you where you are called.

In Christ,

John

#366 Peter Farrington

Peter Farrington

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 647 posts

Posted 31 December 2006 - 12:09 PM

Dear Raymond

Well I am from the Oriental Orthodox communion, but I wish you a very warm welcome and hope that your membership here will help you come to a better understanding of the spiritual riches of Orthodoxy.

Best wishes, especially at this season

Peter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users