3 replies to this topic

#1 Monk Herman

Monk Herman

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 10:46 PM

It's an amazing fact that you can still hear people assert that "Jesus never existed."

I have three questions:

Does anyone happen to know (1) who first floated this idea and (2) when?

I'm also wondering how long it lasted among NT scholars. Given the slowness of academic publishing, I'd give it five years at the most.

H

#2 Phoebe K.

Phoebe K.

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 31 October 2013 - 11:00 PM

As far as I know the idea never held any credibility among serious NT theologians, I certainly never found it in any books while I was an undergraduate of theology.  My NT lecturer made shore we knew of the non scripture sources which spoke to the existence of Jesus as well as the NT.

It sounds more like an idea which came from historians who are trying to prove their own agenda than any serious scholar of theology or history.  It is the sort of comment which comes from the philosophers who are trying to push their own agenda probably of athisam than a scholar as it dose not stand up as a propitiation to scholarly inquiry.

Phoebe

#3 Kosta

Kosta

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 12:25 AM

It comes from atheists, who view the Christ as the one prophet that's difficult to debunk. For instance would anyone really care if a group of atheists declared Moses fictional?

No one takes It seriously. The best historical information that Jesus was indeed a historical personeal is found in the NT. In first century judaism, no opponent of the Christian sect denied the existence of Christ. The main arguments jews used to debunk that Jesus was the messiah is the following:

1. Women are unreliable eyewitness and they went to the wrong tomb.

2. The disciples stole his body.

The Jewish opponents never argued against his existence , nor did they ever deny an empty tomb. This includes Josephus who affirms that James was the brother of Jesus, and even a story in the Talmud about first century Jewish figures that claimed prophethood. Most agree the story about a man claiming to be a prophet that was born illegitamately from a Jewish mother and a Roman guard called panther is a reference to Jesus.

#4 Rdr Andreas

Rdr Andreas

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,028 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 01 November 2013 - 09:04 AM

Tacitus mentions Christ: see Annals, 15:44.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users