#1 Christophoros

Christophoros

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 404 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 01 February 2007 - 02:09 AM

We would like to take this opportunity to give you a status report on the Orthodox Study Bible: The Septuagint / Old Testament Project with study notes.

All the participants in the project - translators, study aid authors, editors, and our publisher, Thomas Nelson - are committed to producing an accurate, faithful, and readable Bible, including all of the Books of the Septuagint Old Testament Bible missing in the present day English Bibles and Roman Catholic Vulgate.

Special emphasis has been applied to the integrity of the translation, ensuring that these texts are rendered into the most accurate and appropriate English. The study aids and notes have been composed, edited, and revised to convey the tradition of the Orthodox Church. The page layout and flow of text has been scrutinized to ensure that even the more mechanical aspects of the book will enhance its readability and usefulness. These attributes - accuracy, faithfulness, and utility - form the cornerstone of our work.

All other aspects of this project have been subordinated to them, including the schedule.

As we write this message, the final pieces of the new Orthodox Study Bible have been sent to the publisher, where they are being formatted, typeset, printed, bound, packaged, and made ready for distribution. Though we do not know all that is yet to come, we do believe the new Orthodox Study Bible, Old and New Testament, will be available for purchase by Spring 2008.

Posted: January 26, 2007

http://www.lxx.org/

#2 John Charmley

John Charmley

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,101 posts
  • Guest from Another Religious Tradition

Posted 01 February 2007 - 10:20 PM

This is excellent news.

I could not help noting what it says on the website, not least (tongue going firmly into cheek here) in the light of the 'American Orthodoxy' thread:

Our mission...

Produce a complete Orthodox Study Bible: Septuagint and New Testament, with truly Orthodox notes for 21st century North Americans.

... now THAT'S what I call 'American Orthodoxy'!

Glad the rest us can read American.

In Christ,

John

#3 Sunny

Sunny

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 03:11 AM

Dear Christopher,
Could you tell me what the crosses at the ends of some verses represent? Does it refer to something prophetic? Does it mean we should cross ourselves?
Those were my 2 guesses!
Sunny

#4 Elzabet

Elzabet

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 11:14 PM

Dear Christopher,
Could you tell me what the crosses at the ends of some verses represent? Does it refer to something prophetic? Does it mean we should cross ourselves?
Those were my 2 guesses!
Sunny

The crosses at the end of the verses mean there is a note in the bottom margin in reference to that verse. It took me a few minutes to figure that out too. ~smile~

#5 Sunny

Sunny

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 03 February 2007 - 03:21 AM

Thanks Elzabet, that's a big help!
Sunny

#6 Bob Kovacs

Bob Kovacs

Regular Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 03:50 AM

I wonder what it will look like, and what editions will be available.

#7 Stephanos Nikopolis

Stephanos Nikopolis

Junior Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 24 June 2007 - 10:16 AM

When they say "appropriate English ... for 21st Century north Americans", I hope they mean modern English, and not 17th Century English which, to me at least, is an utterly foreign language (better the ancient Greek).

Can anyone reassure me on this point? Anyway, I'm sure many people, myself included, look forward to this addition and will purchase it.

God bless them in their work!

#8 Kris

Kris

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 04:10 PM

When they say "appropriate English ... for 21st Century north Americans", I hope they mean modern English, and not 17th Century English which, to me at least, is an utterly foreign language (better the ancient Greek).
Can anyone reassure me on this point?

The English used will be that of the NKJV (i.e. modern English) according to the translators. Text samples are available from www.lxx.org if you wish to look for yourself.

#9 Stephanos Nikopolis

Stephanos Nikopolis

Junior Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 04:25 PM

Thanks, Kris, I have noted the website and written to them asking whether they have a reservation or notification list.

If not, I hope Monachos.net will blast the announcement through to those subscribed to the eNewsletter as soon as it is published and available.

#10 Elzabet

Elzabet

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 04:35 PM

Can anyone reassure me on this point? Anyway, I'm sure many people, myself included, look forward to this addition and will purchase it.

God bless them in their work!

I have the NT of the OSB and it is very readable!

#11 John Charmley

John Charmley

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,101 posts
  • Guest from Another Religious Tradition

Posted 26 June 2007 - 04:47 PM

Dear Kris,

Thanks for letting us know.

Those of a more scholarly bent will be able to let us have the low down on this, and I know there were some queries about the NT - but like Elzabet, I have found it a great aid to my spiritual life, and am very grateful to those who have laboured in the vineyard to produce it.

In Christ,

John

#12 Sophronia

Sophronia

Regular Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 04:54 PM

We use this New Testament here in our parish for epistle and gospel readings. As a reader I can say that I love it very much and am looking forward to the Old Testament to be completed. Meanwhile we use NKJV for those readings.

#13 Rick H.

Rick H.

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,231 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 05:53 PM

Dear Kris, and All,

Thanks for the link. I am interested in bibliology, in terms of the translation and transmission of the scriptures. And, I am familiar with the translators of the NKJV (friends with, and almost neighbors with one of the major translators, and an editor of the Old Testament -- who's contribution includes, but is not limited to, the entire book of Psalms!).

However, as I begin to check into the study bible project, I do not see any of the credentials listed for the key players in this project? Usually, in a bio section or a "Who we are section" for a new bible version, the credentials/degrees in the respective language studies are shown at least for the editiors.

As I begin my research with the Project Director and General Editor for the Orthodox Study Bible, Jack Sparks, I can trace him back to his early days at UC Berkley, when he was with Campus Crusade, but I cannot see any language training, Hebrew or other in his background. Possibly, there is another site that shows the training and area of focus for some of the editors?

I understand the LXX is written in Greek, but I am wondering if there is any consideration of the Hebrew text, by any Orthodox Hebrew scholars, as a part of this present project/process? Knowing the "boiler plate" that the OSB is using is the NKJV--which is based on the Hebrew--I am trying to get a foothold here in a way that is not possible by viewing the link. Any further help, as I begin my research here is greatly appreciated.

Your fellow learner In Christ,
Rick

#14 M.C. Steenberg

M.C. Steenberg

Former Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,843 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 06:15 PM

The OSB LXX was translated by quite a large group of people (myself included) in a project spanning several years. Some of these people were academic translators (like myself, Fr Cyril), others 'lay translators', others native speakers, etc. None of us (certainly not me) have seen the finished product, so I've no idea what the final flow looks like.

INXC, Matthew

#15 Robert Hegwood

Robert Hegwood

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 06:18 PM

I'm about as far as an expert on such things as one can get, but I given that the LXX is considered the baseline text for the OT in the Orthodox church I doubt there will be much in the way of reference to the Hebrew. This is because I've been given to understand that the Masoretic text is a post Christian redaction of a very narrow and sometimes abberant textual tradition that was chosen largely because it was not as friendly to a Christian reading.

The Hebrew textual tradition that underlies the LXX is not longer with us. If it was it would no doubt carry a great deal of weight, but it is not and the LXX is considered the heir of that textual tradition.

What the OSB is trying to do with regard to the OT is to establish an LXX normalized text of the OT, not a full new tranlation per se. The scriptures available in ostensibly Orthodox lands and cultures already have such texts established as the Scripture used by the Church; no such LXX based translation of sufficient accuracy and quality exists in the English language.

The NKJV seems to be a good bridge text in that it follows the high quality English present in the KJV with sufficient modernized usage to make clear the more obscure usages of the KJV. The OSB project is using this foundation to bring forth a reverant, elegant, but readable text in English that conforms to the Orthodox texutal tradition and interpretive norms. So this is not a full blown new translation effort and has different editorial and scholarly needs than what one might expect for an entirely new translation.

#16 Father David Moser

Father David Moser

• Moderators
  • 3,581 posts
  • Verified Cleric

Posted 26 June 2007 - 07:38 PM

The OSB LXX was translated by quite a large group of people (myself included) in a project spanning several years. Some of these people were academic translators (like myself, Fr Cyril), others 'lay translators', others native speakers, etc. None of us (certainly not me) have seen the finished product, so I've no idea what the final flow looks like.

One of the clergy of my own acquaintance (he was in a neighboring parish until recently when he was transferred to California) is one of the editors of the project. Fr Patrick is very much Greek scholar (he also did some the initial translation himself) and just to talk with him is to get some glimmer of how complex the whole project is. It should be completed by the end of the year but I guess the best attitude is to expect it when you see it.

I personally am disappointed that the "modern" English of the NKJV will be used as it lacks the poetry, flow and beauty of the original KJV. However, the "modern English" translations certainly have a place for personal reading and study - but the more elevated Cranmerian English is better for liturgical use.

Fr David Moser

#17 Kris

Kris

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 12:22 AM

LXX Assignments
Please send updates to postmaster@lxx.org.

Board of Directors
Honorary Chairman Metropolitan PHILIP Saliba
Member Fr. Richard Ballew
Member Fr. Jon Braun
Member Fr. Peter Gillquist
Member Fr. Jack Sparks
Member Fr. Gordon Walker
Member Fr. David Ogan
Member Mr. Paul Goetz
Editorial Staff

Project Director
Fr Jack Sparks

Associate Project Director
Fr Richard Ballew

Director of Development
Fr Peter Gillquist

General Editor
Metropolitan Maximos (Pittsburgh)

General Editor
Fr Michel Najim

General Editor Fr. Eugen Pentuic
General Editor
Fr Jack Sparks

Translators

Genesis Fr. Richard Ballew
Exodus
Fr. Patrick Reardon

Leviticus
Fr. Jon Braun

Numbers Martin McGinty
Deuteronomy
Cyril Shartz

Joshua
Fr. David Hester

Judges
Mickey Hodges

Ruth Peter Bouras

I Kingdoms = I Samuel Theron Mathis
II Kingdoms = II Samuel Theron Mathis
II Kingdoms = I Kings Stephen (Bob) Holley
IV Kingdoms = II Kings Stephen (Bob) Holley
I Paralipomenon = I Chronicles Mickey Hodges
II Paralipomenon = II Chronicles Mickey Hodges
I Esdras Cyril Shartz
II Esdras (including Nehemiah) Fr. Daniel Griffith
Tobit Peter Bouras
Judith Cyril Sharts
Esther Peter Bouras
I Maccabees Mickey Hodges
II Maccabees Matthew Steenberg
III Maccabees Cyril Shartz
IV Maccabees Cyril Shartz
Psalms Dr. Don Sheehan
Job Fr. Michel Najim
Proverbs of Solomon Stephen (Bob) Holley
Ecclesiastes Cyril Shartz
Song of Songs Cyril Shartz
Wisdom of Solomon Peter Bouras
Psalms of Solomon Mickey Hodges
Wisdom of Sirach Mickey Hodges
Hosea Matthew Steenberg
Amos Cyril Shartz
Micah Cyril Shartz
Joel Cyril Shartz
Obadiah Matthew Steenberg
Jonah Matthew Steenberg
Nahum Cyril Shartz
Habakkuk Cyril Shartz
Zephaniah Cyril Shartz
Haggai Cyril Shartz
Zechariah Peter Bouras
Malachi Peter Bouras
Isaiah Cyril Shartz
Jeremiah Rev. Samuel Miller

Baruch Cyril Shartz
Epistle of Jeremiah Cyril Shartz
Lamentations Joel Kalvesmaki
Ezekiel Fr. Patrick O'Grady
Daniel Matthew Steenberg
Song of the Three Children Matthew Steenberg
Susanna Matthew Steenberg
Bel and the Dragon Matthew Steenberg
Commentators
Genesis Fr. Richard Ballew
Exodus
Fr. Patrick Reardon

Leviticus
Fr. Jon Braun

Numbers Fr. Richard Ballew
Deuteronomy
Mark Kern
Joshua
Fr. Titus Fulcher
Judges
Cyril Shartz
Ruth Fr. Chris Wojcik
I Kingdoms = I Samuel Fr. John Reeves
II Kingdoms = II Samuel Fr. John Reeves
II Kingdoms = I Kings Stephen (Bob) Holley
IV Kingdoms = II Kings Stephen (Bob) Holley
I Paralipomenon = I Chronicles Fr. Gregory Rogers
II Paralipomenon = II Chronicles Fr. Gregory Rogers
I Esdras Dn. Michael Gillas
II Esdras (including Nehemiah) Fr. Christopher Wojcik
Tobit Dn. Moshe Zorea
Judith Shaun Daugherty
Esther Fr. Christopher Wojcik
I Maccabees Fr. Gregory Rogers
II Maccabees Fr. Thaddeus Wojcik
III Maccabees Fr. John Peck
IV Maccabees Dr. David Lewis
Psalms Fr. Patrick Reardon

Job Fr. Michel Najim
Proverbs of Solomon Fr Jack Sparks

Ecclesiastes Andrew Copeland
Song of Songs Fr. John Peck
Wisdom of Solomon Fr. Philip Armstrong
Wisdom of Sirach Fr. Gordon Walker
Hosea Fr. John Peck
Amos Fr. Bartholomew Wojcik
Micah Fr. David Sedor
Joel Joel Kalvesmaki
Obadiah Matthew Steenberg
Jonah Fr. Isaiah Gillette
Nahum Fr. David Sedor
Habakkuk John Stamps
Zephaniah Fr. Joseph Corrigan
Haggai Fr. David Sedor
Zechariah Gregory Gray Smith
Malachi Fr. John Elias
Gregory Gray Smith
Isaiah Fr. John Morris
Jeremiah Fr. Nathan Kroll
Joel Kalvesmaki
Baruch Joel Kalvesmaki
Epistle of Jeremiah Joel Kalvesmaki
Lamentations Joel Kalvesmaki
Ezekiel Fr. George Gray
Daniel Fr. Bill Calderoni
Translation Committee

Translation Chairman
Cyril Shartz

Pentateuch Chairman
(Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, Deuteronomy, Joshua, Judges)
Fr. Richard Ballew

Historical Books Chairman
(Kingdoms, Chronicles, Esdras, Maccabees)
Stephen (Bob) Holley

Poetic Books Chairman
(Psalms, Proverbs, Ecclesiastes, Song of Songs, Wisdom of Solomon,Wisdom of Sirach) Joel Kalvesmaki
Prophecy Chairman (shorter books - Minor prophets, Baruch, Lamentations, Letter of Jeremiah) Matthew Steenberg
Prophecy Chairman
(longer books - Isaiah, Jeremiah, Ezekiel, Daniel)
Fr. Patrick O'Grady
Narrative Books Chairman (Ruth, Job, Esther, Tobit, Judith) Fr. Michel Najim
Footnote Writers Fr. Jon Braun

One Page Articles Dr. David Ford
Choosing Icons and Illustrations Fr. John Peck
Jeffery Little
One Page Articles

Chairman Dr. David Ford
Co-Editor Fr. Theodore Petrides
CREATION Mark Kern, Fr. Mike Barclay
MEANINGS OF THE OT COVENANT Fr. Mike Barclay
THE SABBATH AND THE EIGHT DAY Mark Kern, Fr. Mike Barclay
THE TWELVE TRIBES OF ISRAEL Mark Kern
TABERNACLE IN THE WILDERNESS (DIAGRAM)
Mark Kern

GIVING OF THE LAW
Mark Kern

MARY IN THE OLD TESTAMENT
Mark Sedrak, Laurent Cleenewerck

PERSONAL APPEARANCES OF CHRIST IN THE OT
Mark Kern, Fr. Benjamin Henderson

ANCESTRAL SIN John Lamberes, Mark Kern, Fr. Mike Barclay
THE MAJOR PROPHECIES OF CHRIST IN THE OT Fr. Stefan Zencuch
TYPOLOGY Deborah Kane, Fr.Stefan Zencuch
THE OT SACRIFICE Mark Sedrak, Mark Kern
THE OT CANON Laurent Cleenewerck, Fr. Allyne Smith
MELCHIZEDEK Fr. John A. Peck, Mark Kern
WHAT IS THE SEPTUAGINT? Fr. Allyne Smith
CHRIST OUR PASSOVER Dr. David Lewis
THE FEAST OF PENTECOST Edward Moore
SACRAMENT AND SYMBOL Edward Moore
THE TRINITY IN THE OT Deborah Kane,
Spiros Michalitsianos
IMAGERY IN THE TEMPLE Unassigned
GLOSSARY Fr. John Morris
OUTLINES AND INTRODUCTIONS Fr. Donald Hock
Margaret Hock
Center Column References
Nicholas Tentzeras
Nancy Tentzeras
Proofreading

Renie Carr
Beryl Hamilton
Fr. Christopher Wojcik
Administrative
Steve Ackley
Mark Mellis
Kelly Gracy
Joe Gracy

#18 Nicolaj

Nicolaj

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 371 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 12:27 PM

Dear Brethren!

As I can read from the list above, I see many names which are wellknown throughout the orthodox community. And I am far away from America.
The Orthodox Study Bible was given to me as gift by the Steve and Bill from our life in Christ Podcast and it has always been a good and helpfull companion through the years.
I am looking forward for the whole edition and am sure it is made in faith and wisedom. May the Lord bless those who where able to contribute their piece for the whole of the orthodox family.

Christos voskrese! Nicolaj

#19 Christophoros

Christophoros

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 28 June 2007 - 01:15 PM

FYI: Yesterday I received an e-newsletter from Conciliar Press which states "Announcing for February 2008: The Long-Awaited Complete OSB with Old Testament! Watch for updates from Conciliar Press." No further information in the newsletter or website, but definitely good news.

7 months to go...

#20 Peter Heffner

Peter Heffner

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 11:56 PM

I am new here, so please redirect me if this has already been asked.

I have two questions.

One is that on the LXX.org website, it appears that there may be a preference for using proper names derived from late, Hebrew Masoretic manuscripts. For example, Yeshua seems to be preferred over the Greek Iesous/Jesus. Wouldn't it take considerable work in advanced historical linguistics to reconstruct these names as they <i>may have been</i> ca 200 BC? Remember, the Masoretes only lately added vowels, and we know they got an enormous number of those vowels and various 'h'-sounds wrong, if we compare them to the Greek which did have vowels ca 200 BC, when the original Hebrew still existed.

So my first question is: have the editors of the OSB decided definitively whether to use the traditional names as they are in the original Greek or to reconstruct them from Medieval Hebrew?

The second question is: Will the prophetic "Second Book of Esdras" be published?

Thank you!

In Christ,
Peter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users