112 replies to this topic

#41 M.C. Steenberg

M.C. Steenberg

Former Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,843 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 10:11 PM

As one of the translators of the OSB myself, I can certainly confirm that it was not an 'updating' of the NKJV, though this was the concept on some people's minds at the beginning (I regret that it is still found on-line!). It was quickly determined that this was not desireable.

INXC, Dcn matthew

#42 Stuart Dunn

Stuart Dunn

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 11:06 PM

I do have a question. Was the NT and Psalms re-done at all from the original Orthodox Study Bible or is it just a verbatim copy in the new one?

#43 Christophoros

Christophoros

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 405 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 12 November 2007 - 11:55 AM

I don't know about the New Testament, but the Psalms would have changes based on the Septuagint rendering... One thing I noticed on the sample pages posted on the OSB website is a change in format. The original "New Testament and Psalms" edition of the OSB used the center-column references which are integrated with most NKJV Bibles. These are absent from the Genesis and Psalm pages posted on the official website. The references are particularly valuable in finding corresponding readings in other verses. I wonder if they changed the format in the New Testament as well; if they did, a useful resource would disappear. But if they retained the center-column notes in the NT only, it might make an odd pairing with the OT format.

#44 Robert Rager

Robert Rager

Regular Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 12 November 2007 - 02:14 PM

I do have a question. Was the NT and Psalms re-done at all from the original Orthodox Study Bible or is it just a verbatim copy in the new one?

In an interview on Ancient Faith Radio, one of the things Fr. Peter Gillquist said was that they added more patristic quotes to the NT commentary.

http://ancientfaith....als/interviews/

#45 Fr. Kyrillos Ibrahim

Fr. Kyrillos Ibrahim

Junior Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 12 November 2007 - 04:59 PM

On the sample page for Psalm 2:

http://orthodoxstudy...ples/psalms/P1/

Vs. 3 reads "let us break their bands" rather than "bonds".

I hope these types of mistakes have been corrected before the release date.

Kyrillos

#46 Stuart Dunn

Stuart Dunn

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 13 November 2007 - 05:54 AM

Bands might be as acceptable as bonds...I am not a translator by any stretch of the imagination, but I thumbed through some other translations and "bonds" was chains, ropes, cords, etc...so perhaps bands is an acceptable term.

#47 Olga

Olga

• Moderators
  • 2,827 posts

Posted 13 November 2007 - 06:58 AM

The Greek Septuagint of the segment of Ps 2:3 reads as follows: Diarrixomen tous desmous auton (I can't get polytonic Greek to show up properly ...). The word desmous is unambiguous. It means, to use a quaint expression, "ties that bind". Hence it can be translated as bands, bonds, fetters, etc.

#48 Rdr Andreas

Rdr Andreas

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,032 posts

Posted 13 November 2007 - 08:24 AM

'Band' and 'bond' are synonymns. My dictionary says that they come from a Middle English word which could be spelled as 'band' or 'bond', and (in the plural) means shackles, bonds, fetters. The equivalent Old Norse word is 'band'. 'Band' meaning some kind of strip of cloth wrapped around things has a different etymology. 'Δεσμα' is translated in the KJV as 'bands' in, e.g. Luke 8:29 and Acts 16:26.

#49 M.C. Steenberg

M.C. Steenberg

Former Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,843 posts

Posted 13 November 2007 - 10:59 AM

I tend to think of 'bands' as the more traditional English expression of the idea ('and he brake their bands asunder' is a common enough phrase); and I personally feel it a slightly more accurate nuance on the meaning of the narrative.

INXC, Dcn Matthew

#50 Rdr Andreas

Rdr Andreas

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,032 posts

Posted 13 November 2007 - 11:25 AM

A colleague of mine, a distinguished professor of human rights law, entitled his recent book, 'To loose the bands of wickedness', a quote from somewhere in the Book of Isaiah. 'Bands' does seem to have, as Matthew hints, a particular resonance.

#51 Fr. Kyrillos Ibrahim

Fr. Kyrillos Ibrahim

Junior Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 13 November 2007 - 04:02 PM

Thank you for those responses! Please forgive me, I jumped the gun in assuming it might have been a typo..."bands" just sounded a little unsusual to my modern ears.

Kyrillos

#52 Theopesta

Theopesta

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 14 November 2007 - 08:38 AM

May I share with my poor experience:

1- (AKJV) "Let us break their bands asunder"
(YLT) ‘Let us draw off Their cords, And cast from us Their thick bands.’
(Leeser) "Let us break asunder their bands, and cast away from us their cords."

(HNV) "Let’s break their bonds apart, and cast their cords from us."
(Darby) Let us break their bonds asunder, and cast away their cords from us!

2- the Hebrew word of Band is: moser according to strong no. {04147} it means band or bond.

3- pool commentary:
bands, which they design to put upon our necks, that they may bring us into subjection
onlinebible.net

4- Cambridge Dictionary:
band (STRIP) noun [C]
a thin flat piece of cloth, elastic, metal or other material put around something to fasten or strengthen it.

With all Kind Regards
In One Christ

#53 Anthony

Anthony

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts

Posted 14 November 2007 - 12:06 PM

Thank you for those responses! Please forgive me, I jumped the gun in assuming it might have been a typo..."bands" just sounded a little unsusual to my modern ears.

Kyrillos

Mine too, for what its worth. But we are not supposed to use modern English when talking about Orthodoxy. ;)

#54 Stephanos Nikopolis

Stephanos Nikopolis

Junior Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 25 November 2007 - 11:52 AM

Mine too, for what its worth. But we are not supposed to use modern English when talking about Orthodoxy. ;)

I have just had a chance to pre-order, thanks to those responsible for making the announcement a few weeks ago.

I just wanted to address the use of English question.

I believe we should keep in mind that native English-speaking Orthodox come from many different backgrounds.

For example, for many people of Anglo-Saxon and/or Protestant background, 16th-17th Century English is holy language, but for someone from, say, Mediterranean background, that type of English is utterly foreign and may need a translation. For me, it is easier to understand the Septuagint Greek or a Latin Vulgate translation from the 4th or 5th Century.

These are just two examples, we can list many others.

We can all make criticisms of the translation: just in the sample passages provided on the website, I noticed in one or two Psalms the use of "shall" and in others the use of "will". To me even "shall" is foreign, but, again, to others it is part of the tradition of holy English language.

In short, it is probably safe to assume that no translation can please everyone. Nonetheless, I believe we all need to be grateful that we have such a valuable resource produced by Orthodox workers in the vineyard.

God bless you all in this Christmas season.

#55 Anthony

Anthony

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts

Posted 25 November 2007 - 12:11 PM

Dear Steve,

Thank you for your comments. I should perhaps explain that the comment you quote was ironic, following from an earlier discussion of the language question which got a bit heated. (I will try to avoid this kind of quip in future.) I am actually in favour of the use of modern English, or at least against the intolerance which some people show towards it.

I'm sure in any case we will all agree with you in being thankful for this new resource. I for one am looking forward to it.

Anthony

#56 Christophoros

Christophoros

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 23 December 2007 - 02:22 AM

It appears the release date for the OSB has been pushed ahead once again. Several online suppliers - Amazon, Barnes and Noble, Christian Book Distributors - have revised their release date from February 12th to June 17, 2008.

#57 Paul Cowan

Paul Cowan

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 23 December 2007 - 04:33 AM

Swell, (dripping with sarcasism). Everytime I pay a vendor in full for services to be rendered, I get put on the back burner. It seems those that pay after services are renderd get more prompt attention. Yes, I prepaid for my copies.

Oh well, all the more sweet when it does arrive I suppose.

Paul

#58 Effie Ganatsios

Effie Ganatsios

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,725 posts

Posted 23 December 2007 - 09:08 AM

I tried to find the Orthodox Study Bible (New Testament) in a few of the Orthodox churches in Victoria, Australia and couldn't, mainly because we only found one open! My sister is going to continue trying to find it for me.

The fact that the Orthodox churches in Melbourne are closed to the public after the liturgy ends, made a disagreeable impression on me. There might be good reasons behind this decision but I thought churches were for the faithful.

I also saw that the Archdiocese of Victoria has some very, very expensive cars in its possession.

At least our churches here stay open all day ............the expensive cars are another matter. Our Metropolitan just bought himself one of the most expensive cars you can buy here. Who pays for all these toys?

Effie

#59 Christophoros

Christophoros

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 12 January 2008 - 09:46 PM

It appears the release date for the OSB has been pushed ahead once again. Several online suppliers - Amazon, Barnes and Noble, Christian Book Distributors - have revised their release date from February 12th to June 17, 2008.

This week I spoke to Conciliar Press about the release date of the OSB. Their representative said it is still scheduled for release on February 12 but will be available only through Conciliar Press. Other outlets such as Amazon.com and Barnes & Noble will receive the OSB later in June.

#60 Stephanos Nikopolis

Stephanos Nikopolis

Junior Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 13 January 2008 - 10:30 AM

This week I spoke to Conciliar Press about the release date of the OSB. Their representative said it is still scheduled for release on February 12 but will be available only through Conciliar Press. Other outlets such as Amazon.com and Barnes & Noble will receive the OSB later in June.

Can you clarify? Does that mean that those who "pre-ordered" directly from the Conciliar Press website will receive their OSB sometime in February?

Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users