• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,101 posts
  • Guest from Another Religious Tradition

Posted 28 February 2007 - 07:03 PM

Dear Mary,

Excellent advice from Fr. Raphael and Nina. You might also try
http://vegkitchen.co...ipes-galore.htm
if you need advice in a hurry - full of good stuff.

In Christ,

John

#2 Fr Raphael Vereshack

Fr Raphael Vereshack

• Moderators
  • 4,420 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member
  • Verified Monastic Cleric

Posted 28 February 2007 - 09:14 PM

Dear Mary,

Excellent advice from Fr. Raphael and Nina. You might also try
http://vegkitchen.co...ipes-galore.htm
if you need advice in a hurry - full of good stuff.

In Christ,

John

By the way does anyone have any lenten recipes for dishes based on grains such as rice, bulgour or polenta? (maybe even the dreaded pasta?). I tend to use these a lot during Lent but never quite know what to combine with these.

In Christ- Fr Raphael

#3 John Charmley

John Charmley

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,101 posts
  • Guest from Another Religious Tradition

Posted 28 February 2007 - 10:08 PM

Dear Fr. Raphael,

I don't (alas) have share in that site, but if you follow this link
http://vegkitchen.co...ipes/grains.htm
you'll find some excellent recipes for the grains you mention; I recommend the 'Mixed Squash and Mushroom Sauté with Quinoa', which is excellent.

The pasta recipes at http://vegkitchen.co.../cool-pasta.htm are also recommended.

I hope it all helps keep a varied and healthy diet for us all; all other sites or recipes welcome!

In Christ,

John

#4 Fr Raphael Vereshack

Fr Raphael Vereshack

• Moderators
  • 4,420 posts

Posted 28 February 2007 - 11:09 PM

Dear Fr. Raphael,

I don't (alas) have share in that site, but if you follow this link
http://vegkitchen.co...ipes/grains.htm
you'll find some excellent recipes for the grains you mention; I recommend the 'Mixed Squash and Mushroom Sauté with Quinoa', which is excellent.

The pasta recipes at http://vegkitchen.co.../cool-pasta.htm are also recommended.

I hope it all helps keep a varied and healthy diet for us all; all other sites or recipes welcome!

In Christ,

John

Thanks so much John.

I think it would do all of us good, who are more on our own, & who only have the cat to keep us in line, to learn how to cook a number of basic & balanced lenten dishes. Invariably what happens to many of us over the years is that the diet gets more and more restricted, not for ascetic reasons but because this is easiest. The unwitting result after all that pasta & peanut butter on bread is that you actually gain weight.

Personally I'm not much attracted by prepared foods but also I'm not very patient with standard recipes (eg: grate a chinese cucumber, add .007 tb of cummin, mix in mexican horse radish (preferably picked in the spring of course) while slowly heating all of this for 26 minutes in a le creuset pot over a heat of 46.8 c). So it would be good to have a basic set of nutritious lenten recipes. I'll certainly take a look at the website.

In Christ- Fr Raphael

#5 Ruth Hrebinka

Ruth Hrebinka

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 12:42 AM

Father Raphael,

During Lent, with rice, bulgar or polenta, I like cooking mushrooms, onions, garlic, maybe a little red pepper in canola oil, then adding water and vegetable bullion. I then thicken the broth with a little cornstarch and water to make a gravy. Served on the above grains it is delicious and you almost feel decadent eating it during Lent.

Hope it helps.

Ruth

#6 Nina

Nina

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,149 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 02:09 AM

By the way does anyone have any lenten recipes for dishes based on grains such as rice, bulgour or polenta? (maybe even the dreaded pasta?). I tend to use these a lot during Lent but never quite know what to combine with these.

In Christ- Fr Raphael

I found this website:
http://www.fatfreeve...ns/grains.shtml

Here is a quick and easy recipe:
Lenten refreshing sandwich.

Mash 1 ripe avocado. Mix it with salt, crushed garlic (optional), and 1/2 ts of lemon juice. Serve it with sliced tomatoes, lettuce and green onion.

Recipe sharing to be continued...

#7 Fr Raphael Vereshack

Fr Raphael Vereshack

• Moderators
  • 4,420 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 03:17 AM

Thanks all! Writing furiously...keep those recipes coming.

We'll have to change the title of this thread to:

Keeping the Fast with Love.

In Christ- Fr Raphael

#8 Karena Hryniuk

Karena Hryniuk

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 04:36 AM

Father Raphael,

During Lent, with rice, bulgar or polenta, I like cooking mushrooms, onions, garlic, maybe a little red pepper in canola oil, then adding water and vegetable bullion. I then thicken the broth with a little cornstarch and water to make a gravy. Served on the above grains it is delicious and you almost feel decadent eating it during Lent.

Hope it helps.

Ruth

Excellent one Ruth! I eat very much the same. I try to mix up the variety using different rices. Wild rice, black or japonica...and also eat lots of quinoa. Usually with chopped red pepper, green onions and crushed almonds. Then just drizzle a little red wine vinegar and canola oil on top ~if not abstaining from the oil.

Chopped vegetable salads too. Chop a variety of veggies up and make it colorful. A little lemon juice and oil to dress. Throw on some sunflower seeds or crushed nuts to add texture.

Fruit salad is also a good one, chop up fruits and add a few handfuls of berries ~blueberries, raspberries are nice~and leave overnight in the fridge (the juices macerate on their own and make a natural syrup)

This is a nice thread ~ Hi everyone. I'm a bit new here and enjoy reading all the posts!

IC XC
~Karena

#9 Paul Cowan

Paul Cowan

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 04:58 AM

Fr Raphael and All,

I frequent this site for most ANY ingredient I want to use.

http://www.fooddownunder.com/

No, not 100% lenten, but you can type in your item and it will give you a list of recipes to pick from. Some items are really "odd".

Paul

#10 Nina

Nina

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,149 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 06:30 AM

Hi again Father Raphael,

In addition to what the other posters said, you can cook rice with spinach, or rice with leeks, or with green peppers; or you can make vegetable soup with rice or with Kritharaki (a semolina rice shaped pasta). All fast and easy. If you need those Lenten recipes (from my grandmothers) please let me know.

Another Lenten recipe which is quick is what my grandma called 'fake potatoes' :) I do not know why and I regret I did not ask my grandma before she passed away (at 100 yrs old).

Saute 1 diced onion in oil (it tastes better with oil) or in water. Cut in four pieces each of 2 garlic cloves and mix those in with the onion. Stir until onion is translucent (do not let the onion get brown or burn) and add a diced tomato (or substitute with one teaspoon of tomato paste). Stir well for 40 sec. and add the 4 cubed (on the large side-2 cm) potatoes. Stir fry for 30 seconds and add water to almost cover the potatoes. Add salt and one bay leaf (after cleaning it). Cook until the potatoes are soft but not mushy (mixing it often) and until most of the liquid has evaporated. Before serving grind pepper. 2 servings. (oil or no oil)

I like to combine this with tofu prepared like this: Saute 1 onion until is translucent. Add 1/4 teaspoon turmeric, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1 diced garlic clove, pepper and salt and stir. Add tofu (1 pound cubed) and stir fry about 5 min. You can serve this with rice or pasta also. 4 servings. (for oil-allowed days)

#11 Maria Murray

Maria Murray

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 01:55 PM

I'm afraid I can't offer any official precise recipes - I never use recipes when I cook, unfortunately.

Here is what I usually do with rice: boil rice separately, then in a different pan I put some water, soy sauce, and any veggies I find: like onions, garlic, broccoli, peppers, snap peas, carrots etc, peanuts/cashews and sometimes shrimp. It turns into a Chinese stir-fry.

My family favorite lenten recipe is Russian beet soup:
Boil a pot of water, add salt and pepper
Add fresh chopped potatoes, beets, cabbage, carrots, onions, garlic
Optional ingredients: lemon (yum), dill, bay leaf, tomatoes.

#12 Fr Raphael Vereshack

Fr Raphael Vereshack

• Moderators
  • 4,420 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 02:15 PM

Fr Raphael and All,

I frequent this site for most ANY ingredient I want to use.

http://www.fooddownunder.com/

No, not 100% lenten, but you can type in your item and it will give you a list of recipes to pick from. Some items are really "odd".

Paul

There are some very nice things on that site, Paul- thanks.

In Christ- Fr Raphael

#13 Fr Raphael Vereshack

Fr Raphael Vereshack

• Moderators
  • 4,420 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 02:24 PM

Nina wrote:

In addition to what the other posters said, you can cook rice with spinach, or rice with leeks, or with green peppers; or you can make vegetable soup with rice or with Kritharaki (a semolina rice shaped pasta). All fast and easy. If you need those Lenten recipes (from my grandmothers) please let me know.

Sure, maybe you could post these if you like.

And many thanks to all for the great ideas.

I wonder if we could put together an online Monachos Lenten Cook Book!

In Christ- Fr Raphael

#14 Mary

Mary

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 03:09 PM

Wow! Now I've got too many things to cook up! =)

Thanks so much everyone. I seem to be having trouble with my internet conenction, which is why I wasn't back here checking for answers.

I think a Monachos Lenten cookbook sounds like a brilliant idea! =) We had our presantified liturgy last night and dinner afterwards, and our priest made the most delicious stuffed mushrooms! I'll have to find out how he makes it and I'll post the recipe. With mushrooms like that, I'll never want non-lenten food again! =)

Nina, I'd love to see your grandmother's recipes! Paul, I'd love to have the recipe for your 'mean 5 can casserole'.

The other thing that I have trouble with, in preparing meals is to figure out what sides go with the main dish. I do alright with spaghetti - serve with salad and bread. Soup with bread. Beyond that, I'm lost. Think you great cooks could add a 'serving suggestion' at the end of your recipes to give me ideas of what goes with what?

Thanks!

Mary.

#15 Paul Cowan

Paul Cowan

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 02 March 2007 - 06:07 AM

As long as we are putting an e-recipe book together, here is my latest Lenten creation. I also don't use recipes. Whatever is handy gets heated into a concotion. My wife hates this about me because IF I make something she does like, I can never reproduce it.

I haven't even named this yet.

1) Slice 3 chinese eggplants into 3 inch chunks. (all pieces should be able to stand up, about 12)
2) Hollow out the centers leaving a 1/8- 1/4 rind, steam until pliable. You can do this in the microwave with a plate of water covered in plastic wrap.
3) Cube the insides of the eggplants and ends and 1/2 pound of mushrooms the size of large english peas.
4) Mince 2-3 garlic cloves (or MORE)
5) Saute eggplant, mushrooms and garlic on low heat so mushroom juice does the sauteing. Don't let this scorch.
6) Cook 1 cup of sticky rice
7) Combine all ingredients and season to taste
8) Stuff eggplant tubes generously
9) Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes on 350f.

Eat hot (my wife likes this with hollandaise sauce) or after they cool a bit, you can slice them 1/2 inch thick with an electric knife and serve after coffee hour at church with a toothpick. (but not with the hollandaise sauce until after Pascha) :)

Paul

#16 Olga

Olga

• Moderators
  • 2,827 posts

Posted 02 March 2007 - 06:29 AM

I agree that a lot of good Greek food (and much other Mediterranean food) is suitable for Lent, and easy to cook. Also don't overlook Asian food, whether it's Thai, Chinese, Malaysian or Indian. It's not all "hot and spicy", a lot of it is quite subtle and gentle in flavour.

#17 Fr Raphael Vereshack

Fr Raphael Vereshack

• Moderators
  • 4,420 posts

Posted 02 March 2007 - 02:23 PM

I tried the avocado sandwich and lenten 'gravy' yesterday. Except for how things are a bit awkward the first time you do them, everything turned out fine. Exactly the right measure for Lent. Thanks to all !

In Christ- Fr Raphael

#18 Nina

Nina

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,149 posts

Posted 02 March 2007 - 07:16 PM

Spanakorizo-Spinach Rice (for oil-allowed days)

Saute onion in a generous amount of olive oil. Add the rice first and stir for some seconds and add water and salt. Stir often as rice has a tendency to stick to bottom of pot and burn. Add the spinach when the rice is almost done and stir so spinach is wilted (it is healthier not to cook the spinach). Add pepper and dill or mint (whichever you prefer).
On the plate you can drizzle lemon. Spinach dishes are better consumed in the same day.

Spinach 1kg
Rice 1 cup
Olive oil 5 Tablespoons
Onion diced 1
salt, pepper
Dill or Mint

:)

(I know we are not supposed to use a lot of herbs and spices during Lent but what is considered gourmet here, was often growing in the gardens of my grandmother, back in the Mediterranean land, and spreading like weed. For example last month at the Whole Foods Market in my city, here in US, there was this hype about Mache salad. All ppl where oohing over it. It was sold for approximately $4.00 a handful (non organic). It was funny since Mache was basically one of the "weeds" at my grandma's that she was giving for free to the neighbors, because we could not consume it all.)

P.S Mary please do not forget the mushroom recipe. You can serve spanakorizo with your favorite salad, bread, tofu.

#19 Nina

Nina

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,149 posts

Posted 02 March 2007 - 08:20 PM

Roasted Peppers (Oil or no oil days)

I like this recipe made with long green peppers (they call them here Italian peppers) but any kind of pepper will do.

Wash/clean well. Clean of seeds. Place them in the oven without anything else added. When done place them in a glass container until semi cooled. If juice comes out while cooling, do not discard, use it with the dressing. Take off the skin from peppers. Cut in nice strips. Place them in a serving glass/porcelain container. Season with salt, olive oil (if allowed), red wine vinegar (I like also balsamic especially if no oil, and malted vinegar), garlic and whichever you prefer from parsley/dill/mint (optional)

Fresh, sweet, healthy and of course Lenten! :)

P.S Mary you can serve this with yogurt -kidding, but really that is what we serve them with: with a yogurt based soup with cucumber/dill/garlic when not fasting. However when fasting you can have this as a side for grains, have olives with it, bread, salad (can make an olive, orange and onion salad).

#20 Nina

Nina

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,149 posts

Posted 02 March 2007 - 09:19 PM

Rice and peppers (an easy and quicker version of stuffed peppers with rice) - (oil allowed days)

Saute onion in oil until translucent. Add garlic and peppers. Stir well in low heat. Add tomatoes (can substitute with tomato paste). Saute and stir for some minutes. Add water, salt and pepper and after it has boiled add the rice. Cook in low heat until ready (not all water evaporated but thick consistency). Sprinkle with parsley, mint and pine nuts when serving.

Peppers 500g
Tomato 500g pureed
Oil 4-5 Tablespoons
1 diced onion
garlic
Rice 2 cups
Salt pepper
Roasted pine nuts
Parsley, mint

Serve with salad, olives etc.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users