#1 M.C. Steenberg

M.C. Steenberg

Former Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,843 posts

Posted 02 April 2007 - 06:51 PM

Dear all,

Some have already noticed a new feature of the Discussion Community added recently: the new Quotations Database. This new system, which will eventually be the replacement 'engine' powering the "Word from the Fathers" page, also integrates wholly into the Community forum.

You will notice that a quotation from the fathers now appears on the main forum page, currently configured to change regularly throughout the day. You can also view a full (and searchable) listing of all quotations in the database, if you would like to peruse the collection.

Quotations are assembled in the database in two categories: first, patristics quotations, which are small passages from the fathers of the Church; and second, personal quotations, which are brief quotations from members and friends that have posted in the Community, other Orthodox writers, etc. Quotations can be search by either category, or both.

One of the principal features of the new quotations database is that you can now add quotations to the collection. Rather than simply relying on the webmaster to find quotations, any registered member of the Discussion Community can submit quotations, which are received into a moderation queue to ensure they are suitable before being added to the database. You are welcome to add quotations in both categories: favourite pearls from the fathers, or personal quotations by other members in posts in the forum.

You can submit quotations in a number of ways. On the main forum page, in the main quotation box, click the Add a Quotation link, then fill in the form. The same functionality is available from the View All Quotations list, where you will find a similar link.

If you'd like to submit a portion of a post from the forum as a quotation in the 'personal quotations' section of the database, you can do so by clicking the 'Submit' button at the bottom of each post (which looks like this Posted Image), then filling in the forum. Be sure that you remove all text from the post that is not necessary from the quotation, leaving only the short 'apothegm' you would like added to the database.

Please feel free -- and be encouraged -- to post quotations from the fathers frequently, so as to expand this database. And do feel free to test the submission system.

All submitted quotations are moderated, as they are submitted into a public-access database of patristic quotations, and thus must be appropriate and accurate.

With any questions, please do feel free to post replies in this thread.

INXC, Matthew

#2 Father David Moser

Father David Moser

• Moderators
  • 3,581 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member
  • Verified Cleric

Posted 03 April 2007 - 09:02 PM

If you'd like to submit a portion of a post from the forum as a quotation in the 'personal quotations' section of the database, you can do so by clicking the 'Submit' button at the bottom of each post (which looks like this Posted Image), then filling in the forum.

Just a cautionary note - I was just editing one of my posts to correct some wording (I used a numeral in a sentance and the text around it was sufficient for the automatic Bible reference softward to think it was a quote and created a link - so I had to spell out the number). Anyway, after changing the text, I looked at the bottom of the window, saw the "submit" button and mistook it for the "Submit Reply" button and instead of saving my edit, I was whisked off to the page to submit my post as a quote. Probably just my own kind of confusion so nothing to worry about. Oh well.

Fr David

#3 M.C. Steenberg

M.C. Steenberg

Former Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,843 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 10:52 PM

Dear all,

I hope perhaps as a Paschaltide project, readers and members might consider spending a little time adding additional patristic quotations / sayings of the fathers to the quotations database here on Monachos.net.

To peruse what's already in the collection, see the current full quotations listing. (Note that you can search the quotations, organise by category, etc.)

This is the database that powers the Word From the Holy Fathers... page, which is used by about 2,900 people each day as their 'home page'; as well as the random quotation from the fathers on the Discussion Community front page.

The database currently contains around 400 quotations, to which we add more routinely. But there is now the feature to add a quotation, which allows you to contribute them directly.

For those who are able, please take a little time and add in your favourite sayings, quotations, etc., to help expand this database.

INXC, Matthew

#4 M.C. Steenberg

M.C. Steenberg

Former Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,843 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 09:09 PM

Dear all,

Please could anyone tell me if they've attempted to (and perhaps thought they succeeded in) submitting quotations to the database -- and if so when, and how many?

One person has reported doing so, and the submission was not received; so I've a fear that there might be a bug in the submission system.

To date, only three actual submissions have been received, which seems a woefully low number.

INXC, Matthew

#5 Marie+Duquette

Marie+Duquette

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 01:59 AM

Matthew,

Peace of Christ!

As of yet, I have not tried submitting a "Word from the Fathers" though I do have a suggestion:

Would it be possible to put in the reference from whence the WORD is taken; I personally find that this would be helpful to me to reconstitute the Word in its context, if I so desired to depen its meaning and message.

I don't know how others on the Monachos web community are experiencing the "NEW" words from the Fathers. I find that the WORD overlaps into the right side column; and it is distracting to read it. I much prefered the previous way the Words of the Fathers were accessible. Though, I thouroughly like the idea of finding "NEW" words to insert into the data base.

Thank you

marie_duquette

#6 Marie+Duquette

Marie+Duquette

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 02:22 AM

Matthew,

Peace!

A few moments ago I tried to submit a "quote" one that I chose from Evagrius. When I submitted it, I was told that my quote was accepted. But, my question is: Where did it go to? where am I to find this particular quote, if I would like to read it? Do the quotes just come up automatically at some point or other?

I checked the "view all quotes" and there are not very many there at all. How can I access all the "quotes"

I guess that the glitches need to be attended to :confused: Or are they lost in the ether?

marie_duquette

#7 M.C. Steenberg

M.C. Steenberg

Former Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,843 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 08:53 AM

Dear all,

Well, it looks as if there are indeed some kinks.

(a) Some have submitted quotes that have not got through. Please could those of you who have used the submit feature tell me: did you use the 'Preview' function before submitting? (I suspect submissions are coming through if submitted directly, but may be getting lost / disappearing if the Preview function of the quotation submitter is used -- please note this in no way effects the Preview function on posts in the forum, which works fine.)

(b) Some mentioned the quotations running off the right-hand side of the screen. Could you please tell me (i) which browser you are using, and which version, (ii) on which screens this is happening (e.g. the Word from the Fathers page, or the forum main screen, or the quotations full listing?)

© Marie reported that in 'View all Quotes' only a few are available -- but I've just looked myself and see nearly 400. Are others having a similar problem?

Many thanks for continued feedback. New software is always a bit of a hassle at the front, but we'll get it sorted out eventually!

INXC, Matthew

#8 Nina

Nina

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,149 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 10:00 AM

Dear all,

Well, it looks as if there are indeed some kinks.

(a) Some have submitted quotes that have not got through. Please could those of you who have used the submit feature tell me: did you use the 'Preview' function before submitting? (I suspect submissions are coming through if submitted directly, but may be getting lost / disappearing if the Preview function of the quotation submitter is used -- please note this in no way effects the Preview function on posts in the forum, which works fine.)

Yes.

(b) Some mentioned the quotations running off the right-hand side of the screen. Could you please tell me (i) which browser you are using, and which version, (ii) on which screens this is happening (e.g. the Word from the Fathers page, or the forum main screen, or the quotations full listing?)

This is not a problem for me, but thank you for removing the huge quotation marks from the quote screen - now it looks, in my opinion, more esthetical; because often they did not appear well coordinated with the text, interfering thus with the overall remarkable design.

© Marie reported that in 'View all Quotes' only a few are available -- but I've just looked myself and see nearly 400. Are others having a similar problem?

No.
Thank you!

#9 Katherine Clark

Katherine Clark

Junior Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 12:00 PM

Dear Matthew,
On my computer the quotations go off the right side on all of the mentioned sites. I use a windows based computer- Windows XP, if that helps.
Thank you for all that you do!
Katherine

#10 Fr Raphael Vereshack

Fr Raphael Vereshack

• Moderators
  • 4,420 posts
  • Verified Monastic Cleric

Posted 13 April 2007 - 02:08 PM

Dear Matthew,
On my computer the quotations go off the right side on all of the mentioned sites. I use a windows based computer- Windows XP, if that helps.
Thank you for all that you do!
Katherine

On my PC these quotes don't appear at all. I don't know why not.

In Christ- Fr Raphael

#11 Nina

Nina

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,149 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 02:19 PM

I followed your advise and did not preview before submitting, but I still do not find the quote I submitted.

#12 Trudy

Trudy

Retired member, no longer active on forum

• Guests
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 04:13 PM

Hi Matthew,

All is nice and pretty on my computer. I can see 349 quotes on the 'view all quotes' page (with 25 per page). When I go to the message boards, the quote is centered on the middle of the page with the number in the top right corner of the quoted text box.

I am using Windows XP, Internet Explorer 7.

~Athanasia~

#13 Nina

Nina

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,149 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 05:00 PM

I can see the quote, I submitted, now, thank you!

Oh... and I use Mozilla, the latest version (I think it is better for here).

#14 Marie+Duquette

Marie+Duquette

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 14 April 2007 - 03:50 PM

Matthew,

It seems that some of us are still having problems with the "quote" from the Fathers section.

My own problems are as follows:

1. I use the LARGE FONT selection. This could be the reason that the quote flows out to the right side of the facing screen.

2. I still cannot access anything else than the "quotes" for April 2, There are 25 of them; and these are the only one that appear for me. Cannot see any of the other 400 + quotes.

3. The Word of the Fathers's quote appears on the "message Board page" It is there automatically.

4. The multiple "smilies" now appear on my screen!:)

5. On Pascha, I submitted a message that was lost in the ether, and caused ERROR 500 to appear, with the suggestion that I contact the web master. The message got lost when I previewed it.

Peace!

marie_duquette

#15 Nina

Nina

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,149 posts

Posted 15 April 2007 - 06:15 PM

I am not sure if the quotes are submitted instantly or not, because when I submit them, I can not find them still...

Also a humble suggestion (I know that it is a developing process and I am happy to provide feedback), can the quotation search feature be a bit more user-friendly? For example to have an option to search quotations by date. This would assure the sender if the submission was successful or not.

#16 M.C. Steenberg

M.C. Steenberg

Former Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,843 posts

Posted 15 April 2007 - 06:25 PM

I am not sure if the quotes are submitted instantly or not, because when I submit them, I can not find them still...

Also a humble suggestion (I know that it is a developing process and I am happy to provide feedback), can the quotation search feature be a bit more user-friendly? For example to have an option to search quotations by date. This would assure the sender if the submission was successful or not.

Dear Nina and others,

When quotations are submitted, they need to be approved by the administrator; so there is a delay between submission and their appearing in the list -- this is normal.

I've removed the 'preview' function from the quotation submission page, as I've confirmed with the designer of the quotations database system that there is a bug with that feature, such that quotes submitted after previewing are lost, and not in fact submitted.

As to the interface, I shall pass your request along to the coder!

INXC, Matthew

#17 Chris Manaras

Chris Manaras

Regular Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 03:21 AM

IE 6.0 displays the Quote fo Hour formatting seems off.

Added date, Quote #, and Quote credit are possitioned fine.

The Quote itself is off center by what appears to be the lenght of the "date added" field and hangs over the right strip banner.

#18 Katherine Clark

Katherine Clark

Junior Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 02:40 AM

I agree with Chris. That is also my experience

#19 Chris Manaras

Chris Manaras

Regular Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 03:24 AM

A possible "quick fix' for the formatting.

would moving the <<Date added>> and the <<quote #>> fields to the last line of frame cause the quote itself to align to the left and thus fit properly in the frame.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users