#21 Effie Ganatsios

Effie Ganatsios

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,725 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 18 August 2007 - 07:30 AM

Rick, I uploaded my personal photos. You can see them, if you like, on my profile.

Effie

#22 Rick H.

Rick H.

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,231 posts

Posted 18 August 2007 - 01:16 PM

Facing the Music

Dear Effie,

Thanks for posting your images, it is very cool to have faces with names. It is like I mentioned to another member who sent me pictures of her and her family just the other day, when we have faces with names somehow it is like we become real people to each other. I think it would be neat if all the posters would do this too because is occurs to me now that this could help to counteract some of the unpleasant dynamics that I have noticed are unique to internet discussions. Do you know what I mean. It's like we have an idea who we are talking to and in turn possibly more compassion or concern for an actual human being, as opposed to just some words on paper that we don't always completely understand or agree with. I know we would still not have facial expressions and voice tones and inflections, but I actually think it would be a good thing for at least the regular posters to post photos. The miles and the borders seem to fade significantly when we have a face to go with a name.

As I shared with my friend who sent me the photos last week, in some ways, I have most people pictured a certain way in my mind, and I have actually thought in the past that I wouldn't want to know what they looked like because I wanted to keep my visions of them intact. Like I have Herman pictured as being very tall and think with grey hair, and a person who smiles a lot. But, anyway thanks for posting your photos, you and your husband look like great people, a great looking family! If you and Dimetrios are ever in my neck of the woods I hope you stop by for cup of my special coffee!

But, now, for the bad part. I feel bad because the last photo I posted was an actor from a movie called 'Super Bad' that was just released yesterday. That's not me either. But, I tell you what, if you are still speaking to me now :) then maybe you can think of something I can include in a photo to prove it is me, and I'll ask my daughter to use her camera and help me get it posted.

Thanks again Effie.

In Christ,
Rick

#23 Fr Raphael Vereshack

Fr Raphael Vereshack

• Moderators
  • 4,420 posts
  • Verified Monastic Cleric

Posted 18 August 2007 - 01:22 PM

In order to get to know each other better here is the most recent photo I can find of myself.

Apologies to all if I appear not quite myself.

Attached Files

• Attached File  14.jpg   77.66K   5 downloads

#24 Mary

Mary

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts

Posted 18 August 2007 - 02:58 PM

Dear Fr Raphael,

for some reason, I'd imagined that you'd have a beard, you being a monk and all... =)

My picture's posted on my profile. Thanks to Paul C, I found a good one, that was the right size.

Let me see if I've learned how to post pictures within a post:

Attached Files

#25 Herman Blaydoe

Herman Blaydoe

• Moderators
  • 4,157 posts

Posted 18 August 2007 - 03:56 PM

I am attempting to place my profile photo on my personal profile, but it doesn't seem to want to accept it. The size requirements are in line, but I wonder if anyone could help me understand why my photo won't load properly? Looks like I may have purchased this bow tie and had my photo taken all for nothing.

Posted Image

Well, I am glad to see that the HONESTY filter is obviously working!

:P

#26 Father Anthony

Father Anthony

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 18 August 2007 - 04:17 PM

I really can't help myself here so I will post like Fr Raphael did and enclose my photo.
http://images.google...s&ct=image&cd=1

In IC XC,
Father Anthony+

#27 Father David Moser

Father David Moser

• Moderators
  • 3,581 posts
  • Verified Cleric

Posted 18 August 2007 - 05:27 PM

In order to get to know each other better here is the most recent photo I can find of myself.

Apologies to all if I appear not quite myself.

You know Father, the scary thing is that it does look kind of like you.

Fr David Moser

#28 Effie Ganatsios

Effie Ganatsios

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,725 posts

Posted 18 August 2007 - 05:31 PM

Facing the Music

Dear Effie,

Thanks for posting your images, it is very cool to have faces with names. It is like I mentioned to another member who sent me pictures of her and her family just the other day, when we have faces with names somehow it is like we become real people to each other. I think it would be neat if all the posters would do this too because is occurs to me now that this could help to counteract some of the unpleasant dynamics that I have noticed are unique to internet discussions. Do you know what I mean. It's like we have an idea who we are talking to and in turn possibly more compassion or concern for an actual human being, as opposed to just some words on paper that we don't always completely understand or agree with. I know we would still not have facial expressions and voice tones and inflections, but I actually think it would be a good thing for at least the regular posters to post photos. The miles and the borders seem to fade significantly when we have a face to go with a name.

But, now, for the bad part. I feel bad because the last photo I posted was an actor from a movie called 'Super Bad' that was just released yesterday. That's not me either. But, I tell you what, if you are still speaking to me now :) then maybe you can think of something I can include in a photo to prove it is me, and I'll ask my daughter to use her camera and help me get it posted.

Thanks again Effie.

In Christ,
Rick

That's OK Rick. Anytime you want to post your photo I would be glad to see it and it's true, as you said, we become real people to each other and are able to be a little kinder to each other when we disagree in some of these discussions. It would be great if you could post pictures of all your family.

Effie

#29 Fr Raphael Vereshack

Fr Raphael Vereshack

• Moderators
  • 4,420 posts
  • Verified Monastic Cleric

Posted 18 August 2007 - 05:52 PM

You know Father, the scary thing is that it does look kind of like you.

Fr David Moser

Especially on days when my feathers get more ruffled.

:rolleyes:

#30 Paul Cowan

Paul Cowan

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 18 August 2007 - 06:21 PM

That's OK Rick. Anytime you want to post your photo I would be glad to see it and it's true, as you said, we become real people to each other and are able to be a little kinder to each other when we disagree in some of these discussions. It would be great if you could post pictures of all your family.

Effie

I don't know Effie,

I don't know we can believe any picture to be actually of Rick since he seems to be the man of disguises and intrigue that he is.

#31 Rick H.

Rick H.

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,231 posts

Posted 18 August 2007 - 06:50 PM

I don't know Effie,

I don't know we can believe any picture to be actually of Rick since he seems to be the man of disguises and intrigue that he is.

:) Come on Paul, let's get in the game here, it's not man of disguises and intrigue, it's "international man of mystery" (IMOM).

And, yes be careful Fr. Anthony, this is habit forming. :)

#32 Paul Cowan

Paul Cowan

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 18 August 2007 - 07:05 PM

Thank you Rick for the clarification. I just want to confirm is it IMOM and not IMAM. You know how one little letter changes the whole meaning in Greek.

Paul

#33 Karena Hryniuk

Karena Hryniuk

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 18 August 2007 - 07:18 PM

Trying to post pictures on here is harder than I thought! I did manage to get few teeny tiny enough to upload after about 10 tries :cool:.

~In Christ
Karena

#34 Father Anthony

Father Anthony

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 18 August 2007 - 07:26 PM

:) And, yes be careful Fr. Anthony, this is habit forming. :)

Yes Rick,

If only I can get the knack of it. :)

In IC XC,
Father Anthony+

#35 Nina

Nina

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,149 posts

Posted 18 August 2007 - 07:32 PM

Thank you Rick for the clarification. I just want to confirm is it IMOM and not IMAM. You know how one little letter changes the whole meaning in Greek.

Paul

Actually... IMAM is not Greek, sorry to break the news to you.

IMAM is BAYALDI. :) If you and Leah were in proximity geographically, I would invite you for IMAM dinner, because I am making that dish for after-tomorrow. And since you know that I do not share (from the book thread), you can look at my plate all you want because 1. that IMAM is delicious. 2. there will not be leftovers. 3. I eat very slowly. :) :) :)

#36 Effie Ganatsios

Effie Ganatsios

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,725 posts

Posted 18 August 2007 - 07:51 PM

IMAM is BAYALDI. :) If you and Leah were in proximity geographically, I would invite you for IMAM dinner, because I am making that dish for after-tomorrow. And since you know that I do not share (from the book thread), you can look at my plate all you want because 1. that IMAM is delicious. 2. there will not be leftovers. 3. I eat very slowly. :) :) :)

Imam Baldi? Is that the dish with eggplants? If it is, I make it too and it is really delicious.

Effie

#37 Nina

Nina

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,149 posts

Posted 18 August 2007 - 07:58 PM

Imam Baldi? Is that the dish with eggplants? If it is, I make it too and it is really delicious.

Effie

Yes! That is the aubergine dish. Dear Effie, I think we have to get together at the Lenten recipes thread (or PM?) and compare recipes. I would like to know if those resemble.

#38 Paul Cowan

Paul Cowan

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 18 August 2007 - 08:01 PM

Sorry for the confusion Nina. I should have said..

You know how one little letter changes the whole meaning as in Greek.

I meant to compare Rick's IMOM "international man of mystery" to IMAM.

Definitions of IMAM on the Web:

prayer leader and elder of mosque

Bad joke. Sorry Rick and all.

Although IMAM Bayildi "the IMAM fainted" sounds delicious too. There is nothing better than a good sloppy dish of ratatouille in olive oil. MMMMM

Paul

#39 Mary

Mary

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts

Posted 18 August 2007 - 08:07 PM

Now you have me freaking out! Last I heard, an Imam is a muslim priest. You eat Imams?! And they're delicious?!!! :confused:

Nina... I hope you don't ever post a picture of yourself, and remind me to never give you my home address. Why, if run out of Imams for dinner, you might come after me!! :P

Mary.

#40 Nina

Nina

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,149 posts

Posted 18 August 2007 - 08:11 PM

Sorry for the confusion Nina. I should have said..

I meant to compare Rick's IMOM "international man of mystery" to IMAM.

Bad joke. Sorry Rick and all.

Although IMAM Bayildi "the IMAM fainted" sounds delicious too. There is nothing better than a good sloppy dish of ratatouille in olive oil. MMMMM

Paul

Uh oh! I was joking! I perfectly understood you and I was just joking since the tone of the thread is such. Please do not say sorry because you did not do anything wrong.

Aaaand now, I wish I could post the picture with my French flag here and thus in complete authority (from my kitchen) :) to tell you that ratatouille and imam bayaldi (at least the one from my family's recipe) may have as main ingredient aubergine, but are two different recipes. And the whole idea with imam bayaldi is to be very esthetical and not sloppy at all. You have to preserve the form of the aubergine so you can really convey the image of the 'fainted imam', or as some others translate it 'stuffed imam' - I am not sure which one is more correct.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users