Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 06 May 2007 - 12:09 PM

Dear friends,
Christ is Risen!

I would like to ask whether anyone knows how can I get St Katherine's Ring, the one that the monks give at Mt Sanai?

I have heared that it is given to the guests after the monastery to remember there visit.

Can anyone help me?

Maybe an email or address of the monastery? Elizabeth you seem to know a lot about the monastery, could you help?

Many thanks
God Bless
Angela +++

#2 Nina

Nina

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,149 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 06:05 AM

Dear friends,
Christ is Risen!

I would like to ask whether anyone knows how can I get St Katherine's Ring, the one that the monks give at Mt Sanai?

I have heared that it is given to the guests after the monastery to remember there visit.

Can anyone help me?

Maybe an email or address of the monastery? Elizabeth you seem to know a lot about the monastery, could you help?

Many thanks
God Bless
Angela +++

Truly He is Risen!

Dear Angela,

Please, if you are not able to obtain a ring of Saint Katherina, you can let me know. I have a couple of them. My Spiritual Father gave them to me as a blessing. I am not at home now, and I can not check if I have them at my home, or if I have left them overseas at my parents' home. In any case, you can always fall back on this solution if you can not obtain the ring and if the rings I have are on the size of your finger. Actually many times when I was going through my things I was sad that I couldn't give them away so I was elated to read your post. :)

Love,
Nina

#3 Angie

Angie

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 09:12 AM

Nina you are the best!

Have you heared that the monks, give people pieces of the rock under the burning bush which has small palms on it?

Thanks
Angela+++

#4 Trudy

Trudy

Retired member, no longer active on forum

• Guests
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 12:37 PM

St Katherine's Ring, the one that the monks give at Mt Sanai?

Is there a picture of this ring somewhere? I am curious about what it looks like.

~Athanasia~

#5 Kris

Kris

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 01:39 PM

Is there a picture of this ring somewhere? I am curious about what it looks like.

The one I was given is a pretty standard looking ring - silver coloured - with a heart that has the letters AK inside it. No picture though.

#6 Nina

Nina

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,149 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 03:02 PM

Have you heared that the monks, give people pieces of the rock under the burning bush which has crosses on it?

Thanks
Angela+++

Dear Angela,

Wow! No, I have never heard of this... But please do tell more if you can!

L,
N

~Athanasia~

Dear Athanasia,

As Kris described, the ring is very modest and simple. If there will be no pictures available for you to see, when I get back home in some days, God willing, I will take a picture and post it here.

L,
N

#7 Angie

Angie

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 08:34 AM

Nina,

It is a piece of rock, but not like any rock. It is engraved all over with little bushes, (ferns) like burned on but not by human hands. It is hard to describe but once you see it, you will realise it is an act of God.

It was found all around the burning bush. It is usually given to the pilgrims.
I love the story of St Katherine. Especially the bit when she wasn't baptised and Jesus wouldnd't see her. But as soon as she was baptised Jesus would look at her.

In Christ
Angela+++

#8 Nina

Nina

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,149 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 12:38 PM

Nina,

It is a piece of rock, but not like any rock. It is engraved all over with little bushes, (ferns) like burned on but not by human hands. It is hard to describe but once you see it, you will realise it is an act of God. It was found all around the burning bush. It is usually given to the pilgrims.

Wow! That is beautiful! Never heard it. Thank you so much for sharing it dear Angela!

I love the story of St Katherine. Especially the bit when she wasn't baptised and Jesus wouldnd't see her. But as soon as she was baptised Jesus would look at her.

In Christ
Angela+++

Ahhh the story of Saint Katherine is so dear to me also!

#9 Ekaterine

Ekaterine

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 11:24 PM

Hi everyone,

I am an orthodox Christian, I am Eka and my Baptism name is Catherine,
I just found out about this ring and do u know if I can purchase this ring anywhere online?
I live in Georgia and I hope I will get to Sina mountain one day :)

may god bless u all :)

love, Catherine

#10 Donna Rail

Donna Rail

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 02:34 AM

They sound beautiful.

#11 Mark Harris

Mark Harris

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 11:15 AM

I found this picture http://www.flickr.co...nus/3560382168/

#12 Cyprian (Humphrey)

Cyprian (Humphrey)

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 07:35 PM

Nina you are the best!

Have you heared that the monks, give people pieces of the rock under the burning bush which has small palms on it?

Thanks
Angela+++

I don't know if they give them away, but I've seen these types of rocks. They have small black markings that look like branches and leaves covering the entire pebbles, on all sides. Apparently, if one was to break these rocks, there would be more markings on the newly exposed surface. These markings therefore seem to permeate the entire rock.

Attached File  burning-bush-imprinted-on-rock.jpg   46.02K   214 downloads

#13 Julia Hayes

Julia Hayes

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 05 February 2011 - 07:57 AM

Perhaps you can contact the monastery here: www.sinaimonastery.com/en/contact.php

#14 Angie

Angie

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 05 February 2011 - 09:14 AM

Hi Father Cyprian,

Thankyou for this image, I have this . Do you know the story of the rock?

Thanks
Ang

#15 Ekaterine

Ekaterine

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 February 2011 - 06:44 PM

we are talking about the ring not rock :)

#16 Barbara Ried Johnson

Barbara Ried Johnson

Junior Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 09:19 PM

Hello,

I have a St. Katherine ring that was given to me by my friend Magdalena after a visit to St. Katherine's at Mt. Sinai. Magdalena got special permission to bring back 4 of them. My friend Katherine wears one. The type we have are a simple silver ring with a heart with a cross on it. The band says St. Katherine.
I was told that only folks who visit St. Katherine's monastery can bring them home.
They are touched to the relics of St. Katherine. Magdalena was give the rings free of charge.

It's nice to read this forum again! I particularly like it because it tries to avoid politics and keeps things on the up and up!

Barbara

#17 Etsi JC Brigid W.

Etsi JC Brigid W.

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 04:36 PM

I've never heard of this till now. Interesting.

#18 Kevin John Boddecker

Kevin John Boddecker

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 02:27 PM

Nina,

I know this was a really old post, but is it possible that you still have an extra St Katherine ring? St Katherine is my wife's patron saint and it would be a real treasure for her to have a ring that has rested on her relics, but I doubt she and I will be able to afford anything like a trip to Sinai.

in Christ,
Rdr Kevin John

#19 Nina

Nina

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,149 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 12:32 AM

Nina,

I know this was a really old post, but is it possible that you still have an extra St Katherine ring? St Katherine is my wife's patron saint and it would be a real treasure for her to have a ring that has rested on her relics, but I doubt she and I will be able to afford anything like a trip to Sinai.

in Christ,
Rdr Kevin John

Dear Reader Kevin, sorry but I gave them away. I only have one which was given to me by my first SF. I would have given that ring too, if it was not from my SF and with his blessing. Sorry I have no more. :/

However there are many Orthodox groups from US which go for pilgrimages to Holy Land and drop by at Sinai. I know Greek Orthodox churches organize such trips to Sinai. Maybe there are Antiochian, OCA, or Russian groups too going from churches near you and they can bring you a ring. Rings are given as blessing for the Orthodox who visit there and they can always ask for one extra.

Your wife and you have such wonderful patron Saint. Saint Katherine is amazing.

Sorry I could not help you.

In Christ,
nina

#20 Father David Moser

Father David Moser

• Moderators
  • 3,581 posts
  • Verified Cleric

Posted 03 September 2011 - 11:03 PM

I just returned from a pilgrimage to the Holy Land. We were supposed to go to Mt Sinai, however, the Israeli/Palestinian/Egyptian tension was too high (even a bus was fired upon) so we were unable to go. I was, however, able to obtain a ring from the Russian Monastery in Jerusalem (Gornyenski Monastery). There was also an icon and a piece of the stone. In the packet was a leaf and a bag of medicinal herbs for tea. Does anyone know the significance of these last two traditions?

Fr David

Edited by Father David Moser, 03 September 2011 - 11:34 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users