- - - - -

Questionable answer to Monachos Lenten quiz question

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Special Relativity

Guest_Special Relativity
  • Guests

Posted 26 February 2004 - 10:41 PM

I came to monachos.net on a google search for something. I stopped and did the Lent test. I didn't do too bad for an outsider-- 9 out of 12 correct. But the 1st wrong answer floors me.

Question 1. It is forbidden to celebrate the Eucharist during Great Lent.

Your answer: f
Correct answer: True

Explanation: The canons of the Church forbid the celebration of the Eucharist during the period of Great Lent, given that the Eucharist is a feast of supreme joy and Lent a period of spiritual sorrow leading to Pascha. However, the Divine Liturgy of St Basil may be celebrated on weekends during the Fast; and on weekdays the Liturgy of the Presanctified Gifts is used, which distributes the Holy Mysteries previously consecrated at a weekend Liturgy.

Well, that information sounds familiar enough to me, but why was my answer wrong? The 2nd explanatory sentence says "Divine Liturgy...may be celebrated on weekends during the Fast". So, doesn't that mean that the Eucharist is celebrated during Great Lent? Aren't weekends part of Great Lent? Isn't that called something like "breaking the Liturgy fast?"

Thank you for your forebearance toward petulant me.

Quart

#2 Fr Averky

Fr Averky

Former frequent poster (deceased)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 672 posts

Posted 28 February 2004 - 06:35 AM

Dear "Quart."

Since eveery Sunday is a commemoration of the Resurrection of Christ, the Fast is somewhat relaxed. In Russian Sunday is call "Voskkresenie," or "Resurrection. During Great lent, full prostrations are called for until Friday evening, which are then suspended until Sunday at Vespers, when the service ends with full prostrations. I am in the Orthodox Church of Russia, and we change vestments from black and silver, used during the week, to burgundy. The strictness of the Fast is relaxed to the extent that wine and oil are permitted. There is no "liturgy fast" that I know of.

In the US, as in Europe, each local Orthodox Church has its own particular customs, but the way liturgy is celbrated during GreatLent s universal

Fr. A.

#3 Guest_Special Relativity

Guest_Special Relativity
  • Guests

Posted 02 March 2004 - 04:55 AM

Thank you, Father A.
Quart

#4 Guest_Cal Oren

Guest_Cal Oren
  • Guests

Posted 04 February 2004 - 11:26 PM

I know that this is the purely the result of my crass competitive nature, but I want to appeal what I think is an INCORRECT answer to the following question on the Lenten Quiz:

Question 2. It is forbidden to celebrate the Eucharist during Great Lent.

Your answer: f
Correct answer: True

Explanation: The canons of the Church forbid the celebration of the Eucharist during the period of Great Lent, given that the Eucharist is a feast of supreme joy and Lent a period of spiritual sorrow leading to Pascha. However, the Divine Liturgy of St Basil may be celebrated on weekends during the Fast; and on weekdays the Liturgy of the Presanctified Gifts is used, which distributes the Holy Mysteries previously consecrated at a weekend Liturgy.

Now if the question had been, "Is the Eucharist RESTRICTED during Great Lent?" or, "Is the Eucharist forbidden during weekdays of Great Lent?" then the correct answer would have been TRUE. But "forbidden?" The Eucharist is not "forbidden" during Great Lent. Even the explanation states that we celebrate the Liturgy of St. Basil, which includes the Eucharist, and further that we also consecrate the Mysteries for the following week during this Eucharist.

So, Lord Quizmaster, what is your ruling?

#5 M.C. Steenberg

M.C. Steenberg

Former Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,843 posts

Posted 05 February 2004 - 09:15 AM

Mr Cal Oren wrote:

The canons of the Church forbid the celebration of the Eucharist during the period of Great Lent, given that the Eucharist is a feast of supreme joy and Lent a period of spiritual sorrow leading to Pascha. However, the Divine Liturgy of St Basil may be celebrated on weekends during the Fast; and on weekdays the Liturgy of the Presanctified Gifts is used, which distributes the Holy Mysteries previously consecrated at a weekend Liturgy.

We must remember that the Sabbath (Sunday) and the Feast of the Resurrection (Sunday) are not figured into the days of Great Lent. The rule of fasting continues during these days; but Saturdays and Sundays are not technically part of Lent proper. The music is different, the prayers, etc (though much also remains in continuity, in order to preserve the sustained spirit of fasting and preparation). The fact that the Divine Liturgy of St Basil is celebrated on weekends during the period of the fast is not the same thing as to say that this Liturgy is celebrated 'during Lent', which does not properly include the weekends.

Similarly, the reception of the Holy Mysteries on weekdays during Lent in the Vespers and Liturgy of the Pre-Sanctified Gifts, is not properly a 'celebration of the Eucharist'. The whole reason that the gifts are 'pre-sanctified' for use during Lent is precisely because it is not permitted to celebrate the act of consecration during the penitential season of the Fast. There is no celebration of the Eucharist (i.e. the offering of the sacrifice) at the Liturgy of the Pre-Sanctified Gifts; rather, there is the reception of gifts already offered and sanctified at the celebration of the Liturgy the weekend previous.

I hope this helps.

INXC, Matthew
--
Help support the 2004 Lenten Appeal.

#6 Fr Raphael Vereshack

Fr Raphael Vereshack

• Moderators
  • 4,420 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member
  • Verified Monastic Cleric

Posted 05 February 2004 - 01:18 PM

Further as to celebrating Divine Liturgy during Great Lent: it is not widely known outside of monasteries that there is a unique typikion (ustav) for Saturdays during Great Lent. The Liturgy of St John Chrysostom is served; the Epistle & Gospel readings follow a sort of unique 'Saturday cycle'. Also the preceding Matins is unique in that it is 'semi-Lenten' in structure.
In fact one finds that also outside of Great Lent, services for Saturday (Vespers-Matins-Divine Liturgy) have their own unique ustav. Undoubtedly commentary on this must exist in Greek & Russian but I have never yet come across any real explanations of this interesting part of Orthodox liturgical life. (note: the Ustav of Fr K Nikolsky has a brief & practical explanation of the Saturday services, non-Lenten & Lenten; ps 493 & 495)
Fr R
PS- for those who were speaking about the Elder Paisios a few weeks ago: the latest Orthodox Word (no. 229) is entirely devoted to him.

#7 Paul Cowan

Paul Cowan

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 12:11 AM

Where might this Lenten Quiz be today? I tried a search for it and came up bare. I clicked on Fr. Dcn's #2 post and it went to a dead link.

Paul

#8 Julia Hayes

Julia Hayes

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 05:56 PM

the Liturgy is celebrated on the Feast of the Annunciation no matter what day it falls on during Great Lent.

#9 Cyprian (Humphrey)

Cyprian (Humphrey)

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 08:34 PM

Where might this Lenten Quiz be today? I tried a search for it and came up bare. I clicked on Fr. Dcn's #2 post and it went to a dead link.

Paul

Well, since this thread is about 5 years old, my guess would be that there have been some site re-arrangements made in the meantime.

Valid question, mind you, but I think the only one who might be able to answer it is Fr Dn Matthew. And even then, it just might be lost to the sands of time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users