5 replies to this topic

#1 Mina Demian

Mina Demian

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 May 2007 - 02:35 PM

Hi all,

I am trying to find an explanation in the Coptic rite for why we don't read from our 'synexarion' (calendar of the saints) during the Holy 50 days. I can't find an authoritative answer, so I'm wondering perhaps I can find or 'borrow' some insight from the Greek and Russian traditions.

Are feast days for the saints observed during this time? If not, what have you been taught/have you read regarding this?

Anything is helpful.

Thanks,

Mina.

#2 Kris

Kris

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 16 June 2007 - 11:32 AM

Are feast days for the saints observed during this time? If not, what have you been taught/have you read regarding this?

Every day between Pascha and Pentecost has entries in the Synaxarion, and as far as I know their feast days are celebrate more or less as normal during this time.

I'm not sure about the practice of not reading from the Synaxarion, but sa far as I know, we do not read from the Psalms as usual after Pascha. I'm not sure if there is any correlation between the two, but if someone here could give an answer to this custom (mine would only be a guess, so I'll leave it to someone else) maybe it could shed some light on your question.

In XC,
Kris

#3 Fr Raphael Vereshack

Fr Raphael Vereshack

• Moderators
  • 4,420 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member
  • Verified Monastic Cleric

Posted 16 June 2007 - 01:44 PM

Every day between Pascha and Pentecost has entries in the Synaxarion, and as far as I know their feast days are celebrate more or less as normal during this time.

During Bright Week the service to the saint of the day is not included unless the saint is of Vigil rank (eg as can happen with St George in some years).

From the Monday after St Thomas Sunday and on all weekdays (ie Monday thru Saturday) through to Pentecost the service to the saint(s) of the day is included (except at Mid-Pentecost & Ascension) with that from the Pentecostarion.

In Christ- Fr Raphael

#4 Peter Farrington

Peter Farrington

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 647 posts

Posted 16 June 2007 - 08:45 PM

Dear Father

As far as I am aware we still have the hymns etc for the saints of the day through the 50 days, but we don't read from the liturgical book of saints.

Do you have such readings in any case? I mean that are read at the Liturgy?

Best wishes

Peter

#5 Fr Raphael Vereshack

Fr Raphael Vereshack

• Moderators
  • 4,420 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member
  • Verified Monastic Cleric

Posted 16 June 2007 - 10:09 PM

Dear Father

As far as I am aware we still have the hymns etc for the saints of the day through the 50 days, but we don't read from the liturgical book of saints.

Do you have such readings in any case? I mean that are read at the Liturgy?

Best wishes

Peter

Dear Peter,

In our liturgical tradition the hymns for each day of the calendar year are found in what is called the Menaion, so called because there is one volume for each month of the year- so there are 12 volumes for the year. Material from the menaion is used mostly at the Vespers and Matins, very little (only the troparion and kondakion) at the Liturgy.

I am trying to think what a liturgical book of saints that is read from would correspond to in our tradition. I don't think it does.

We have a synaxarion which is the collected lives of saints in 12 volumes. This is supposed to be read at the Matins after the kondakion after the 6th Ode of the Canon. But I don't think this is what you mean. So probably we have no book that corresponds to what you mean.

In Christ- Fr Raphael

#6 Peter Farrington

Peter Farrington

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 647 posts

Posted 16 June 2007 - 10:14 PM

Dear Father

Yes, your Synaxarion corresponds to ours, as far as I can see.

Certainly in the Churches I know we read from the Synaxarion after the Acts of the Holy Apostles and before the prayers etc before the Gospel.

Thanks for your comments.

Peter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users