* - - - - 15 votes

The paschal greeting

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Andrew

Guest_Andrew
  • Guests

Posted 09 May 2002 - 11:49 AM

Hi everybody. I'm just writing to see if anyone can tell me how long we keep using the "paschal greeting" ("Christ is risen! He is risen indeed!") in the Church. Is it only until the end of bright week, or longer?

Thanks,
Andrew

#2 Guest_Rev. Dn. Raphael Barberg

Guest_Rev. Dn. Raphael Barberg
  • Guests

Posted 09 May 2002 - 12:50 PM

Christ is risen!

I believe the Paschal Greeting is appropriate, thru-out the Paschal season; that is right until its "leave-taking" right before the Ascension.

Dn. Raphael

He is risen indeed!

#3 M.C. Steenberg

M.C. Steenberg

Former Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,843 posts

Posted 09 May 2002 - 11:25 PM

Deacon Raphael is absolutely correct: the Paschal greeting is traditionally used throughout the entirety of the season of Pascha -- thus until the Leavetaking of Pascha on the day before the Ascension (the Leavetaking is this year on 30 May [Old Calendar] / 12 June [New Calendar]). It is customary for the faithful to greet one another with 'Christ is Risen' during the whole of this festal period.

INXC, Matthew

#4 Guest_Timothy Ray

Guest_Timothy Ray
  • Guests

Posted 19 May 2002 - 07:43 PM

Is it proper to greet clergy with "Christ is risen"? Or are members of the laity supposed to to wait for the priest to say this, and then respond?

Thanks

#5 M.C. Steenberg

M.C. Steenberg

Former Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,843 posts

Posted 21 May 2002 - 03:50 PM

Dear Timothy,

Yes, it is proper for laity to greet members of the clergy with 'Christ is risen!', even as it is proper for clergy to greet the laity in the same manner. There is no 'clergy prerogative' in this.

As the joy of the Resurrection is applicable to all, it is fitting for everyone to proclaim it to all.

XB, Matthew

#6 Paul Cowan

Paul Cowan

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 26 April 2008 - 09:26 PM

In preparation for the traditional greetings tonight, here are 250 additional Paschal Greetings.

Paul

Even my favorite, Klingonese.

#7 Rdr Andreas

Rdr Andreas

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,028 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 04:54 PM

It's not easy to remember things from one year to another. Have I got this right - we use the Paschal Hours for our morning and evening prayers during Bright Week?

#8 Anthony Stokes

Anthony Stokes

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 413 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 01:01 PM

It's not easy to remember things from one year to another. Have I got this right - we use the Paschal Hours for our morning and evening prayers during Bright Week?

That is correct, although I believe you can add it to your normal prayers if you like, but as my priest put it, this we we have the prerogative to completely replace our morning and evening prayers with the Paschal Hours.

Sbdn. Anthony

#9 Amy

Amy

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 06:01 PM

Thank you, Paul , for posting that website!! Thanks to it, I have finally learned the Gaelic...

Tá Criost éirithe!

#10 Effie Ganatsios

Effie Ganatsios

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,725 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 07:50 AM

We say Christos Anesti - Christ is Risen and answer Alithos Anesti - He is indeed Risen (Alithos - truth - Anesti - risen) for 40 days i.e. until The Ascension.

Effie

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users