#1 Angie

Angie

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 11 June 2007 - 11:23 AM

We live in Australia and will be going to Greece soon. God willing, my husband Jim, has decided to go to Mount Athos. I am very excited!

My question is how does he go from Thessaloniki? Were do I stay? Is there a monastery that I can stay for women? He will be going for 2-3 days. We speak Greek.

Can anyone help us?

Also were is Meteora? Is it near there?

Many Thanks

In Christ
Angela+++

#2 Paul Cowan

Paul Cowan

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 03:39 AM

HI Angela,

I am sure you will get several responses to this question. Also look in the Monachos search with the key words "visit athos". Look especially at the end of the list. Also look up the "Friends of Athos" site or you can get there from the Athos site directly.

God willing, I will be able to go in November. Though I do not speak Greek.

Paul

#3 Paul Fowler

Paul Fowler

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 07:23 AM

Hi

Meteora is about four hours by coach from Halkadiki-its quite a distance, but well worth a visit.

Ouranopolis, the town at the entrance to Athos, has plenty of places to stay. Your husband will need to get his diamonitirion from the Office of the Holy Mountain in Thessalonika and then get it confirmed AND buy his ferry ticket by other offices in Ouranopolis-be warned though, none of the offices are near to one another-considering how small Ouranopolis is, it still takes a while to get round them all!!! Ouranopolis is a good hour from Thessalonika too. But as Paul said, the best way is by linking up with the Friends of Mount Athos: http://abacus.bates....llison/friends/ . They will give you all the details need.

In XC

Paul F

#4 Anthony

Anthony

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 11:58 AM

Ouranopolis is a good hour from Thessalonika too.

Somewhat more from what I remember, at least if you are taking the bus. Another thing is that the buses leave from the XTEL Khalkidikis, one of the few terminals which have not been moved to the new central bus station (at least as of 2004).

Meteora is near Trikala. Buses for there leave from yet another bus station near the main railway station (again as of 2004), and you will need to change in Trikala. I agree that it is well worth the trek!

#5 Effie Ganatsios

Effie Ganatsios

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,725 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 02:02 PM

Angela, last year two of my sisters came here to Greece on holiday. One of the places they visited was Meteora. After reading your message I telephoned my sister because I remembered them saying what a terrific time they had had and how everything was so organized. Their trip was arranged by GO Travel in Athens and my sister told me that she has their telephone number somewhere because she was so impressed by this travel agency that she kept the number in case she needed it for further trips. She'll find it for you if you are interested. They had originally planned to go to Meteora by themselves but luckily they decided to go with a group. They had an English speaking guide and that made a huge difference.

I've never been to Meteora - gone past it several times!!! - but they told me it was a wonderful experience for them. Hope it will be the same for you.

Effie

#6 Nina

Nina

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,149 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 02:34 PM

Dear Angela,

In addition to every wonderful advise above, I can recommend this and this threads from Monachos.net.

You and your husband are so blessed to be able to take this trip! Thank God!

Regarding Meteora, I have been and I would instantly go again, if I am in the area. It is such a wonderful, moving, liberating experience to be there and feel the breeze and look at all the beautiful monasteries and the scenery. Oh and the caves in the rocks (for the hermits)! So many feelings looking at those little holes where saintly people live and pray for us all! When thinking of them and trying to imagine the condition where they lived, I felt like I was indulging just being in fresh opened air and enjoying the amazing and awe-inspiring sights that God has created for us.

Also near Thesaloniki (if you have time) there is a convent where the body of Elder Paisios rests. Please if you make it there, remember us with a little prayer, because Elder Paisios has been such a help with his divine, fatherly advise for all of us here at monachos.

Please do not hesitate to ask further, if the information you receive here prompts more questions. I am sure there are many here that can help.

#7 Effie Ganatsios

Effie Ganatsios

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,725 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 04:55 AM

Hi Angela.

Here is some information that might prove useful to you :

Aghios Oros

Telephone number to ask permission to visit the Holy Mountain :

Office for Pilgrims to the Holy Mountain
New Ignatia no. 172, Thessaloniki
Telephone number : 2310 – 861611 (use the International code for Greece before this number if you telephone from Australia).

Meteora (I’ve uploaded a lovely picture – just click images under my name)

Meteora is in Kalambaka just north of Trikala

Telephone number of Tourist office in Kalambaka : 24320 – 24444
The best monasteries to see are : St. Stephen and Aghia Triada
The most famous monastery is Megalo Meteoro (Large Meteorite) – St. Athanasios 14th century.

#8 Angie

Angie

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 09:41 AM

Thankyou Effie. The picture is excellent and the info is fantastic! Thanks Nina once again you have come through for me! Also thanks everyone for your input and all the info.

Now all I need now for someone to pay for our accomodation on this blessed trip! Just kidding guys! God Bless you all!

In Christ
Angela+++

#9 Nina

Nina

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,149 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 02:26 PM

Now all I need now for someone to pay for our accomodation on this blessed trip! Just kidding guys! God Bless you all!
In Christ
Angela+++

Giggles... I was reading 'pay' as 'pray' and realized it only when I read it again because of your kidding comment.

#10 Angie

Angie

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 14 June 2007 - 10:06 AM

Nina your right. I also need to pray for a blessed trip! Thanks.

In Christ
Angela+++

#11 Effie Ganatsios

Effie Ganatsios

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,725 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 08:42 AM

Angela, a good site concerning travel to Mt. Athos is :

http://www.greecetra...niki/athos.html

Effie

#12 Angie

Angie

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 09:54 AM

Effie,

Thankyou. I don't have this one!

In Christ
Angela+++

#13 Vasilian

Vasilian

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 08:02 PM

Dear friends,
Very usefull information for your visit you may find here: http://athos.web-log.nl/ A blog by Dutch guys and contributions from friends. They started the site in Dutch, but now the basic language is English.
In Christ
Vasílis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users