#1 Algernon

Algernon

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 09 November 2013 - 01:09 AM

I have heard that Orthodox Christians are forbidden from eating food containing blood (black pudding, blood sausage, etc). Is this true? What is the purpose of this prohibition and how can it be justified in light of Matthew 15:11? 

"It is not what goes into the mouth of a man that makes him unclean and defiled, but what comes out of the mouth."

Thanks

A

#2 Paul Cowan

Paul Cowan

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 01:53 AM

Yes it is true,

We don't eat the "life blood" of animals. We eat their meat. fine line for sure, but do you really want to eat cooked blood?

Paul

#3 Kosta

Kosta

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,517 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 03:52 AM

Certain regions have blood sausage, at one time all were outside the empire, meaning within the Roman empire blood was not eaten, jug was done away with. Yes blood is forbidden because it's where the life of the animal resides. When Abel was murdered, God said his blood is crying out from the earth. The blood is supposed to be spilled back into the earth. That's also why animals strangled cannot be eaten, there blood remains in them.

Edited by Kosta, 09 November 2013 - 03:53 AM.

#4 Rdr Andreas

Rdr Andreas

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,033 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 10:18 AM

It would seem to follow that we should eat kosher/halal meat only.

#5 Lakis Papas

Lakis Papas

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 10:38 AM

Apostolic Canon 63: If any Bishop, or Presbyter, or Deacon, or anyone else on the sacerdotal list at all, eat meat in the blood of its soul, or that has been killed by a wild beast, or that has died a natural death, let him be deposed. For the Law has forbidden this. But if any layman do the same, let him be excommunicated.

#6 Lakis Papas

Lakis Papas

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 11:30 AM

I have heard that Orthodox Christians are forbidden from eating food containing blood (black pudding, blood sausage, etc). Is this true? What is the purpose of this prohibition and how can it be justified in light of Matthew 15:11? 

"It is not what goes into the mouth of a man that makes him unclean and defiled, but what comes out of the mouth."

Thanks

A

As you understand it is not possible to completely drain the meat from the animal's blood. So whenever we eat meat, we inevitably eat some blood left in the meat in small quantities. So, since we eat blood whenever we eat meat, the ban on the consumption of blood does not mean that the blood is unclean food.

Explanations from the "Rudder" (by St. Nicodemus of the Holy Mountain):

Theodoret of Cyrus says: you should not eat blood, wherefore it is the soul of the animal

St Chrysostom says: you should not eat blood, because it was devoted only to God. Also because God wanted to prevent people not to spill human blood, for it commands neither to eat animal blood so as not thus litle-by-litle become accustomed to homicide.

Clement of Alexandria says: you should not eat blood, because your flesh too is developed and built by blood

#7 Herman Blaydoe

Herman Blaydoe

• Moderators
  • 4,157 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 01:23 PM

For it seemed good to the Holy Spirit, and to us, to lay upon you no greater burden than these necessary things: that you abstain from things offered to idols, from blood, from things strangled, and from sexual immorality. If you keep yourselves from these, you will do well. (Acts 15: 28-29)

#8 Algernon

Algernon

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 03:34 PM

Yes it is true,

We don't eat the "life blood" of animals. We eat their meat. fine line for sure, but do you really want to eat cooked blood?

Paul

Yes, it's delicious.

#9 Algernon

Algernon

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 09:02 PM

For it seemed good to the Holy Spirit, and to us, to lay upon you no greater burden than these necessary things: that you abstain from things offered to idols, from blood, from things strangled, and from sexual immorality. If you keep yourselves from these, you will do well. (Acts 15: 28-29)

Thank you. I wasn't sure whether or not this instruction was optional like 1 Co 11:5-6,14.

#10 Olga

Olga

• Moderators
  • 2,827 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 10:29 PM

As you understand it is not possible to completely drain the meat from the animal's blood. So whenever we eat meat, we inevitably eat some blood left in the meat in small quantities. So, since we eat blood whenever we eat meat, the ban on the consumption of blood does not mean that the blood is unclean food.

It is a common misconception that the pink or reddish juices within meat is blood. It is not, it is known as interstitial fluid, the fluid which surrounds cells in the body.

#11 Algernon

Algernon

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 10:46 PM

"...it's where the life of the animal resides"

Is this true for humans, too? If so, then should Orthodox Christians also not receive blood transfusions?

#12 Kosta

Kosta

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,517 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 11:26 PM

Its also true for humans. This is why we receive holy Communion. We partake of the sinless body and blood and become more godlike. We fast to tame the passions of the flesh, because meat makes us more carnal, more animalistic.

Blood transfusion have nothing to do with digestion, not with killing but giving life theway the Eucharist gives us life. The only meat we are to eat is from animals that have been slaughtered. We are not to eat animals that have been strangled or have died through blunt force trauma or even of old age. The blood must be received by the earth.

Edited by Kosta, 10 November 2013 - 11:29 PM.

#13 Father David Moser

Father David Moser

• Moderators
  • 3,581 posts
  • Verified Cleric

Posted 13 November 2013 - 11:16 PM

The blood both in the fathers and in many "primitive" cultures carries the essence of the soul.  By consuming the blood of an animal we consume and make a part of ourselves the passionate nature of the animal.  These beastly passions join themselves to the passions of our own fallen nature and increase the pull of temptation towards the fulfillment of those bestial desires.  Thus we refrain from exposing ourselves to this exacerbation of our own fallen nature which makes us "like a beast, yea, even worse than a beast"

OTOH, consuming the blood of Christ joins us to His divine nature and elevates the soul drawing us nearer to Him.

Fr David Moser

#14 Alice

Alice

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 673 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 12:30 AM

So, in plain terms, what does this mean for the average person who eats cooked meat bought at a supermarket or butcher?

#15 Herman Blaydoe

Herman Blaydoe

• Moderators
  • 4,157 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 05:03 PM

The command to abstain from blood does not really apply since, simply put, meat from a butcher or supermarket contains very little, if any, actual blood, see Olga's post above.

Those who eat blood pudding or sausage might consult their preferred spiritual authority on the subject.

Herman the carnivore

#16 Andra K.

Andra K.

Regular Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 11:04 PM

Just wondering, isn't there a soup that is eaten at Easter that is made with blood--it is an old tradition and I certainly have never had it but I have heard it mentioned.  I am not sure if this is just some Greek urban legend or if there is truth to it.  I have heard my dad talk of this soup but we never had it during my youth. 

I have seen very rare roast beef that looks bloody.  I dont know if this is really blood or something else. :(

#17 Herman Blaydoe

Herman Blaydoe

• Moderators
  • 4,157 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 11:31 PM

I am told that Greeks generally break the Lenten Fast with a soup called Mayiritsa made with organs from the Pascha Lamb, or with a lovely lemon soup made with chicken and eggs. Blood is not a major ingredient in either that I am aware of.

Rare beef is not "bloody", it is "something else", see Olga's post.

#18 Brad D.

Brad D.

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 244 posts
  • Guest from Another Religious Tradition

Posted 19 November 2013 - 01:11 AM

The blood both in the fathers and in many "primitive" cultures carries the essence of the soul.  By consuming the blood of an animal we consume and make a part of ourselves the passionate nature of the animal.  These beastly passions join themselves to the passions of our own fallen nature and increase the pull of temptation towards the fulfillment of those bestial desires.  Thus we refrain from exposing ourselves to this exacerbation of our own fallen nature which makes us "like a beast, yea, even worse than a beast"

OTOH, consuming the blood of Christ joins us to His divine nature and elevates the soul drawing us nearer to Him.

Fr David Moser

I just wanted to note what a wonderful explanation this is.  Very wonderful way of looking at both the subject at hand, and the Sacrament.  Very interesting.

#19 Olga

Olga

• Moderators
  • 2,827 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 03:03 AM

Just wondering, isn't there a soup that is eaten at Easter that is made with blood--it is an old tradition and I certainly have never had it but I have heard it mentioned.  I am not sure if this is just some Greek urban legend or if there is truth to it.  I have heard my dad talk of this soup but we never had it during my youth.

Magheritsa and related soups like patsa are made of offal (organ meats, intestines, and the like). The egg-and-lemon soup (avgholemono) also popularly eaten at Easter has a base of chicken or fish stock. In my experience of Greek cuisine, having been taught much from a venerable Greek lady who, even in her old age, still cooks in a highly traditional way, and within my several Greek cookbooks, I have never come across any Greek dish, soup or otherwise, which contains blood as an ingredient.

#20 Algernon

Algernon

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 03:14 PM

Yes blood is forbidden because it's where the life of the animal resides. 

I'm not talking about sucking the blood from a living animal. I'm talking about blood cakes, blood sausage, etc that comes from a dead animal.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users