#41 Rdr Andreas

Rdr Andreas

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,027 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 02 February 2015 - 08:42 AM

Like Anton, I had not thought about this until reading this thread but then my wife (a Muscovite who was surprised when I told her about black pudding (actually a sausage) being popular here in England as part of a full cooked breakfast) and I don't eat red meat. The idea of eating cooked blood and subsequently partaking of the Blood of Christ certainly doesn't seem right.

#42 Kosta

Kosta

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts

Posted 02 February 2015 - 02:02 PM

I have been in the Church for quite a long time and have never been aware of this prohibition of eating blood. So, when I read this thread, I went to our parish priest and asked him if it was really a sin to eat blood. He told me that it was.

Somehow, priests do not often warn people of that in our country. I am not sure whether it is because food made from or with blood is not much eaten here or because they do not consider it a serious sin. In any case, I am glad that I have not (as far as I remember) eaten blood sausage since I was baptized.

So, for many years I have live thinking that no food was considered absolutely prohibited to Orthodox Christians except for that dedicated to idols (pagan deities) and the flesh of strangled animals.

By the way, when I asked, many years ago, a very wise and prayerful hieromonk if it was unacceptable to eat food sold by Krishnaites (they always dedicate their food to Krishna before as much as to taste it), he answered that everything depended on the strength of your faith, as the Lord promised to His disciples that they would not be harmed even by poisoned food. But, the hieromonk continued, as we do not have such ardent faith, we should not take any risks.

I wonder, if this can refer to blood as well? Or is eating blood intrinsically harmful? And why, then, our priests do not speak about that more often?

The reason their is a prohibition on eating blood is because the life of the animal is said to reside in its blood and that lifesource is to return back to the earth:

But flesh with the life thereof, which is the blood thereof, shall ye not eat. (Gen 9.4)

11 For the life of the flesh isin the blood, and I have given it to you upon the altar to make atonement for your souls; for it is the blood that makes atonement for the soul.’ 12 Therefore I said to the children of Israel, ‘No one among you shall eat blood, nor shall any stranger who dwells among you eat blood.

“Whatever man of the children of Israel, or of the strangers who dwell among you, who hunts and catches any animal or bird that may be eaten, he shall pour out its blood and cover it with dust; 14 for it is the life of all flesh. Its blood sustains its life. Therefore I said to the children of Israel, ‘You shall not eat the blood of any flesh, for the life of all flesh is its blood. Whoever eats it shall be cut off.’

This is also why there is a prohibition against eating strangled animals. A strangled animal still retains its blood within itself never having the oppurtunity for the earth to receive it. When Cain killed his brother Abel, the Lord responded to Cain in Genesis 4.10-11:

10 And He said, “What have you done? The voice of your brother’s blood cries out to Me from the ground. 11 So now you are cursed from the earth, which has opened its mouth to receive your brother’s blood from your hand.

#43 Michał

Michał

Conversationalist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 02 February 2015 - 06:45 PM

The idea of eating cooked blood and subsequently partaking of the Blood of Christ certainly doesn't seem right.

And idea of eating body of animals and then eating the Body of Chrisseems right, doesn't it?

#44 Rdr Andreas

Rdr Andreas

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,027 posts

Posted 02 February 2015 - 07:27 PM

No, it doesn't, which is why we don't eat meat. Some Russians, even if they eat meat, will not eat it on the day of having taken Holy Communion, which I agree with. Furthermore, I think the practice of killing, butchering, barbecuing and eating a lamb on the day of Pascha is abhorrent even though some monastics do it. 'Every creature made by Thee offers Thee thanks' - vespers of the Nativity of Christ. And yet it's all right to go and kill it and eat it? Don't think so. It's not a sin but  . . .

Edited by Reader Andreas, 02 February 2015 - 07:32 PM.

#45 Paul Cowan

Paul Cowan

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 04:19 AM

whew. good. Cause I just bought a new smoker and I can't wait to try it out. Sorry brother Andreas, but butchering, BBQing and eating lamb sounds real good for the next 2 weeks before Lent. Now that I am living in the Piney Woods of East Texas, I have been offered more fresh meat and varieties of meat than I ever had access to in the big city. I am loving country life. Bring on the sauce.

But just for you, I will throw some corn and squash on the grill "just to balance" things out a bit.

Paul

#46 Rdr Andreas

Rdr Andreas

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,027 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 06:02 AM

No need to apologise to me, brother Paul - ain't a sin. Each person makes up his own mind on this one.

#47 Michał

Michał

Conversationalist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 05:25 PM

I have to agree with Andrew. Lamb indeed is not the tastiest one thing that exists.

#48 Paul Cowan

Paul Cowan

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 04:00 AM

It all depends on how it is prepared Michal. :)

#49 Michał

Michał

Conversationalist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 09:53 AM

It all depends on how it is prepared Michal. :)

Tried it a couple of times prepared in different way but I find pork much better. Even beef is better in my opinion. But de gustibus non est disputandum.

#50 Father David Moser

Father David Moser

• Moderators
  • 3,581 posts
  • Verified Cleric

Posted 05 February 2015 - 03:02 PM

This discussion of various foods and their tastiness should be moved to the "casual and personal" area of the forum.  Please confine your remarks in this thread to the teaching of the Church and how it relates to the eating or not eating of blood.

Fr David

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users