734 replies to this topic

#1 Amy

Amy

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 02:50 AM

Hello. I am glad to find your forum! I am a Baptist raised gal on a beautiful and sometimes lonely journey toward Orthodoxy. I have been attending St. George, a parish of the Antiochian Archdiocese of North America for about 3 years now. I am here to read mostly...still trying to work out some of my stumbling blocks and to have some communication with kindred minds.
Blessings,
amy

#2 Herman Blaydoe

Herman Blaydoe

• Moderators
  • 4,157 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 19 June 2006 - 08:09 AM

Glory to Jesus Christ! Welcome home, even if it may be a home you have never been to before. Feel free to ask about the "stumbling blocks". There are several of us who have climbed over not a few boulders of our own and would be happy to share.

#3 Marie A.

Marie A.

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 01:45 PM

Hi Amy,
Welcome to the forum! I haven't posted much here but I have been a lurker for a long time. My husband and I are on the road to the Orthodox Church also after some stumbling blocks. We are very happy to be making this journey together. He is a former Epicopalian and I am from the Catholic Church. We also attend an Antiochian Church, St. Michael's. Unfortunately there are not many around here so our choice is very limited.
May our Lord Jeus Christ and the Theotokos guide you on your journey.
Marie

#4 Amy

Amy

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 02:26 AM

Thank you for the warm welcome; it's nice to be in your company. :)

#5 Maria Murray

Maria Murray

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 21 December 2006 - 06:26 PM

I feel obligated to write an introduction prior to posting my comment in a particular thread. I have been reading through this site for a long while now and loved it but to be honest, I have been intimidated to write anything because of my great ignorance in the matters of Orthodoxy. I am still afraid to say something wrong, but I do have some questions and perhaps some experiences I selfishly wanted to share. Although a Russian-born and baptized Orthodox, I was never really "Orthodox". I perceived my experiences with the Church in some negative ways most of my life. I suppose you can call me one of the Orthodox apostates. Not to make excuses, but I never learned Christian basics and somehow kept myself totally blind to everything the Church teaches, most of which is related to not having much interest in religion. I married an Irish Catholic and we now have 3 kids. Having spent so much of our lives ignoring God, we both have been trying for the last 2 years to "make up for it" so to speak. Our experience in the journey of seeking God brought us through many Christian churches, (starting in the Evangelical Protestant) and books and long investigations. After a variety of many interesting experiences, we now belong to a church which we both least expected to find ourselves in - an Orthodox church. It was in many ways a painful decision for our family but in submitting to it, I found our experience with the church to exceed all the expectations I ever had. It's like finding faith 2 years ago was a much refreshing splashing of water, yet after walking in puddles and creeks for these 2 years, I stepped into an ocean. I hope this doesn't sound cheesy. I now feel like I know nothing and while we have overwhelmed our poor priest with questions, we are still so far from knowing anything or being even close to Orthodox.

#6 Paul Cowan

Paul Cowan

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 22 December 2006 - 04:48 AM

Dear Maria:
Welcome! Believe me, as a recent participant in the forum and only in Orthodoxy a short 4 years, you can not ask a bad question here. There are MANY learned people and venerable clergy who will always answer questions.

Yes most of them are very deep, I don't know where they find some of their resources, but they are on target. The great thing about this forum is you can ask them most anything and stay anonomyous. You don't have to worry about your priest or other parishioners finding out you "asked a question".

Enjoy, look around and ask questions. How else will you understand your re-found faith?

Paul

#7 John Charmley

John Charmley

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,101 posts
  • Guest from Another Religious Tradition

Posted 22 December 2006 - 11:12 AM

Dear Maria,

Welcome to Monachos, and how wonderful for you and for your family that after such a long journey you have rediscovered Orthodoxy.

It sounds as though your journey has been eventful and strenuous, and I wonder if you might share a few of your reflections on it with us here? Through it, you actually bring much to this forum, and there are no silly questions, just the ones we don't ask. All of us here are on the same journey, even those who don't know it yet, and I sometimes think of us as latter-day Chaucerian Canterbury Pilgrims! Those who know Chaucer can come up with their own attributions!

We all try to support each other are we go on our way, and your contribution will be much welcomed.

In Christ,

John

#8 Tanya Hoadley

Tanya Hoadley

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 22 December 2006 - 06:21 PM

Welcome Maria!

Glad you're here. If you feel timid about asking questions or participating in discussions, may I suggest that you spend some time searching threads that relate to some of your questions? I did this at first and I became less fearful as I found that the members here respond with love and concern.

For me, the old adage "the more you know, the more you realize you don't know" applies to my journey in Christ. But take heart! for, "As many as have been baptized into Christ, have put on Christ"

In Christ,
Tanya

#9 Bruce Bayer

Bruce Bayer

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 January 2007 - 07:44 AM

Hi I am a new member to Monachos. I am a convert to Roman Catholic Church in 1999. Prior to that I was involved with Evangelicalism from 1973 when I first learned about Jesus at 17. I have been reading in various discussion areas for the last few days and am intriged by it all, but mostly I joined Monachos to learn more about the Jesus Prayer and if it is possible to have an Orthodox spiritual guide as a Roman Catholic?

#10 Peter Farrington

Peter Farrington

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 647 posts

Posted 02 January 2007 - 03:06 PM

Dear Bruce Bayer

Welcome to Monachos. There are many here who love the Jesus Prayer and will be able to discuss it with you. I am but a beginner in almost all aspects of the spiritual life, though I have been a Christian all my life. I was an Evangelical myself.

Anyhow, best wishes and I hope that all your questions find helpful answers.

Peter

#11 Michael Lewis

Michael Lewis

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 03 January 2007 - 02:45 AM

Greetings everyone!

I am a recent convert to Holy Orthodoxy (one year at December 24, 2006) and also new to this forum. Coming to the Faith late in life I have much to learn as I struggle along.

Please help this poor sinner learn to live and think the Orthodox way.

I ask for your prayers, and you shall all be in mine! :)

#12 Tanya Hoadley

Tanya Hoadley

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 03 January 2007 - 03:50 AM

Dear Michael,

Happy Anniversary! May God grant you many blessed years!

I pray that God will lead you to all that is beneficial. I have found much on this site.

In Christ,
Tanya

#13 John Charmley

John Charmley

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 03 January 2007 - 09:05 AM

Dear Michael,

Welcome here!

As someone who is still on the journey towards Orthodoxy, I shall see you down the road a little, and congratulate you on being where you are.:)

There is so much to learn - and experience - and that is one of the great benefits of this site. I hope you find what you seek - as well as what you did not know you needed.

In Christ,

John

#14 Anna K.

Anna K.

Regular Poster

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 03 January 2007 - 09:09 AM

I'm almost new here, I come several times a week to see the posts, but have only written one question nearly a year ago.
So I thought maybe it's time to greet you like this. I'm still in my protestant background, but for a couple of years have been longing towards Orthodoxy. Countless times have I found help from your posts, hope and encouragement in faith.

I probably will stay more on the reading side from now on also, but hopefully get to grow closer to the Church gradually and that way be able to participate more...

I have visited a monastery a few times in my country, and a few times gone to my local Orthodox Church for evening service. I have also found such views of truth in good Orthodox books that if God wills, I hope I can someday be taken into the Church truly.

A Blessed New Year to all of you.

Anna

#15 Peter Farrington

Peter Farrington

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 647 posts

Posted 03 January 2007 - 09:23 AM

Dear Michael

Let me add my own welcome to you.

I came to Orthodoxy in my late twenties, and there is sometimes a twinge of regret that I was not able to find Orthodoxy as a child. But I take the view that God brings us to Himself by His own ways and according to His own will. It's His fault I was not born into an Orthodox family, not mine. :)

So I just enjoy becoming Orthodox and don't worry about not yet being fully and completely Orthodox - since being Orthodox means being fully Christian, fully the person God desires me to be, I don't expect that process to be completed this side of the grave.

We are all struggling along, and it is a pleasure and a joy to have you join this forum so that we can support each other as we become more fully Orthodox.

May God bless our membership here in 2007

Peter

#16 Jeff Johnson

Jeff Johnson

Regular Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 03 January 2007 - 12:00 PM

Mr. Peter Farrington, which Oriental Orthodox body do you belong to? I am very fond of the Ethiopian Tewahedo Church, which I came to know through contact with the local Ethiopian community, especially an Ethiopian priestmonk whose simplicity, holiness and joy touched me deeply. Their worship is very joyful and reverent.

I look forward to continue getting to know the people here better. Some Eastern Catholic/Orthodox message boards can seem clique-like, and it's hard to really make friends.

#17 Peter Farrington

Peter Farrington

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 647 posts

Posted 03 January 2007 - 03:59 PM

Dear Jeff,

Actually I am part of the British Orthodox Church - http://www.britishorthodox.org, which is a diocese serving British people within the Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate. We are commissioned to do mission and ministry in our own British culture and language, in a way which is consistant with our Orthodox Faith - so it is a bit of an experiment. An exciting one.

I have met the Ethiopian priest in London, but my own British Orthodox have very good relations with the Eritrean Orthodox, also in London. Indeed my bishop and other clergy and British folk will be with them for their Nativity celebrations this weekend.

Best wishes and a Happy New Year

Peter

#18 John Charmley

John Charmley

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 03 January 2007 - 05:23 PM

Dear Anna,

It is good to have you here. Like you I come from a non-Orthodox background, and have found this site a wonderful resource in all sorts of ways, so it is good to know others feel the same way.

I have found people here very generous in their willingness to answer questions which must, to some of them, seem quite simple, which to those of us from outside are not.

May God guide your footsteps where they are meant to go, as as is best for you.

A happy 2007 to you.

In Christ,

John

#19 Herman Blaydoe

Herman Blaydoe

• Moderators
  • 4,157 posts

Posted 03 January 2007 - 05:24 PM

God be with you on your spiritual quest and guide you to Truth and safe haven. Archbishop Paul of Finland wrote a wonderful book on Orthodoxy, have you read it?

Herman

#20 Peter Farrington

Peter Farrington

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 647 posts

Posted 03 January 2007 - 06:07 PM

Tervetuloa Anna!

Viime kuukausi minä olin Suomessa, ja tämä kuukausi minä täydyn mennä Suomessa taas.

Minä yritan oppia Suomea mutta minä puhun suomea vain vähän.

Parhain terveisin

Peter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users