Anna K.

Regular Poster

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 04 January 2007 - 11:07 AM

Thank you all for your warm welcomes!

Herman, I have read two books by Archbishop Paul, the first one was "How we believe" (I don't know the exact title in English) and the other "The feast of Faith" about the Divine Liturgy. Both were as you said, wonderful books!

Peter, I must say you write very good Finnish! Tervetuloa Suomeen uudelleen!
Sorry to say we have a very rainy winter, very little snow anywhere.
You and anyone else for that matter, coming to Finland, should go see the exhibition about Mount Athos with priceless treasures from there, it's open till Jan 21st in Helsinki. I haven't seen it yet but hope to. It's a unique exhibition (the icons and other artefacts are outside Athos for the first time) and it would be interesting to hear views on it here on Monachos.

The Lord be with you all.

#22 Peter Farrington

Peter Farrington

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 647 posts

Posted 04 January 2007 - 03:33 PM

Hi Anna

I don't think I will be back in Helsinki until a few days after the 21st, which is a great shame. Where is the exhibition being held?

Have you been to the New Valaam monastery?

http://www.valamo.fi/index.php

I keep hoping to be able to go there for a visit. I have been to Finland many times over the last few years but I never seem to get far outside Helsinki.

Peter

#23 Anna K.

Anna K.

Regular Poster

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 04 January 2007 - 08:26 PM

Hello Peter,
The exhibition is held at the Helsinki City Art Museum www.taidemuseo.fi in the very center of the city.

I have been to New Valaam, four times for a weekend. In fact my whole process towards Orthodoxy started from my first visit, after attending the services (although not understanding much of course) and after having for some reason bought two books there and reading them on the bus on my way home (Georgios Kapsanis: Theosis as the Meaning of Human Life and The Letters of Schemahegoumen John to his Spiritual Children)...

God's ways are so mysterious!

If you go to Valaam, visit also Lintula, the monastery for nuns very close by if possible.

Have a nice stay in Finland!

Anna

#24 Peter Farrington

Peter Farrington

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 647 posts

Posted 04 January 2007 - 11:34 PM

Hi Anna

What a shame! I have been in Helsinki twice since this exhibition has been running in August and now I will miss it by a few days!

I will be spending quite a bit of time in Finland this year working on a computer project so I hope that I might be able to get out to the monastery some time this year. I can see that there seems to be a bus goes out there. is the travel difficult?

Best wishes

Peter

#25 Scott Pierson

Scott Pierson

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 05 January 2007 - 12:51 PM

I have been to New Valaam, four times for a weekend.

Hello Anna,

What was it like there at New Valaam it must have been a wonderful experience to visit ?

I hope you find the discussion forums here very useful. I know I have. I've learned a lot and have come to reject some of my old prejudices and misunderstandings because of the wise posts of the folks here.

I wish you the best in your journey to the Orthodox faith.

-Scott

#26 Sylvia Mutale

Sylvia Mutale

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 07 January 2007 - 07:13 PM

Thank you for welcoming me to your site. I trully hope that I will benefit greatly from this site as am an active Charismatic Catholic and interested in learning more about the Sacraments of the church especially the early practices of the church. At the moment, I am researching on the Sacrament of Confession and would appreciate more information on this subject.

I look forward to actively participating on all these interesting topics.

Sylvia Mutale

#27 Peter Farrington

Peter Farrington

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 647 posts

Posted 07 January 2007 - 09:34 PM

Dear Sylvia

Welcome to the site. I hope that you will find answers to many of your questions as well as a genuine sense of fellowship and friendship.

There is a wide range of backgrounds represented here, I am from the British Orthodox Church, but I used to be involved in the Evangelical Charismatic movement.

Best wishes

Peter

#28 Herman Blaydoe

Herman Blaydoe

• Moderators
  • 4,157 posts

Posted 07 January 2007 - 11:13 PM

A good place to start would be here:

The Sacrament Of Confession

Living An Orthodox Life: Confession

#29 Anna K.

Anna K.

Regular Poster

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 08 January 2007 - 09:27 AM

Hello Peter and Scott,

New Valaam is of course very much worth a visit, and for me, I have always come home richer than before. My spiritual eyesight being the way it is, the blessings are often to be seen later on in my eyes. I believe being physically there affects secretly in many ways, which has been a surprise to me, being Lutheran and a member of a very rationalist society.
The church and the services of course especially are important to me. And to mention one more thing, praying before the Icon of The Mother of God of Konevets, which is one of the three miracle-making icons (what's the word in English?) in New Valaam church.
I feel I have experienced one of her miracles in this way towards Orthodoxy, it never even crossed my mind before to think of myself converting.

The monastery is more peaceful in the winter-time (less tourists), but in the summer you can also visit the old church, which was actually built in two barns to serve as temporary church, you can sense the history there of the old monks who had to flee from Old Valaam in Russia during the II world war, and the air of their prayers.

The bus trip is not difficult, the buses are new and the road is good, but the way is long, it takes about 6 hours.
The public bus doesn't take you quite to the monastery, but my friend has taken it there many times so if you want I can ask about the last part of the trip. There are also ready made bus tours of three days from Helsinki with accomodation included, which is easy, if the time-table is right, you can see about those in the Valaam www-site www.valamo.fi.

Thank you for your good wishes

Anna

#30 Peter Farrington

Peter Farrington

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 647 posts

Posted 08 January 2007 - 09:30 AM

Dear Anna

Thank you for you description of your own experiences. Something of what you have felt comes across in your post.

I did see the three day package trip and that looked easiest. Who knows! If God and my wife allow then I might make the monastery this year.

Peter

#31 Jeff Johnson

Jeff Johnson

Regular Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 10 January 2007 - 02:18 PM

From one newcomer to another-howdy!

#32 Andrew Podymow

Andrew Podymow

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 11 January 2007 - 02:13 AM

Hello to all!

First, I would like to wish all a blessed Feast of the Nativity (for all that follow the Julian Calendar) and a wonderful 2007. I just happened across this site during a Google session (the one you do when you are bored :) ) and thought that it offers a very nice forum for all. Although I come from an extensive Orthodox background, it would be nice to learn how my perspectives and views compare/differ round the world.

Looking forward to this! God Bless!

andy

#33 Tanya Hoadley

Tanya Hoadley

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 11 January 2007 - 03:51 AM

Dear Andy,

Welcome! Glad to have you here.

In Christ,
Tanya

#34 Mihai-Gabriel

Mihai-Gabriel

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 12 January 2007 - 08:11 AM

Christ is Risen,
my friends in Christ !

I'm Mihai-Gabriel NEACSU, 35 years old, an Romanian ortodox. I heard about your monastery from Father Raphail Noica, who was monk in your monastery few years ago. He is the son of the Constantin Noica, the Romanian best philosoph from the XX-century. I love very much both, Noica father, and Noica son. Father Raphail was one of the greatest surprise for Romanian ortodox society after Romanian Revolution against Comunism since December 1989. He's very loved by Romanian ortodox people, especially young people. Thank you for him, because he's also a son of yours monastery and The Sophronie Saharov -starets of the monastery. I have also the books of starets Sophronie Saharov, translate into Romanian by Father Raphail Noica.
If I will have the posibility, I want to visit your monastery in the future time. I think seriously to start to work some limited period in United Kingdom, in Essex county. Do you think that is posible for me to stay into your monastery ? What are the rules about visitors ? And the monastic rules are the same-Saint Vasile the Great -like in Romania ?
Also I'm the vicepresident of the "Saint Martyrs Brancoveni Foundation" from Constanta City-my city. I'm very involved in the ortodox education of the young people. Since 2005 we establish officialy a Nursery and a Basic School of the "Saint Martyrs Brancoveni Foundation". My wife Virginia is teacher into this school. She made an ortodox book (manual) for Nursery -preparatory year for school- to learn the pupil to read and write. The manual named " First steps into the world of characters" is fully inspired from the childhood and life of Saint John-The Romanian of Hozeva Monastery [/B](died in 1960, recognised like saint by Romanian Ortodox Church in 1992, and by Jerusalem Patriarchate before). If you are interested in this domain of youth education, please don't esitate to contact me.
Our foundation is like a civil arm of the local Ortodox Church-Tomis Achbishopy of Dobrogea region. In Constanta county-my county exist some very old and holy monasteries like "Saint Apostle Andrew Cave Monastery-the first christian church of Romania" and "Saint John Cassian Cave Monastery were lived Saint John Casian-patristic father-help very much by our foundation to bilding and to develop; partner in children education of the school and nursery. Also we have a good link with Saint Mary Monastery of Techirghiol-where live father Arsenie Papacioc-one of the greatest Romanian ortodox fathers of our church (90 years old, 13 years of jail into the communism era- a martyr in life !).

#35 Fr Seraphim (Black)

Fr Seraphim (Black)

Retired member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 13 January 2007 - 04:06 AM

This is an unusual post - either Matthew has established a monastery that I have yet to hear of, or Mihai is actually 'writing' a letter to Tolleshunt Knights, since he mentions perhaps working in Essex.

Clearly, someone should contact him.

It may be difficult to stay in a 'virtual monastery'. Though the thought is intriguing.

Any suggestions.

Doamne ajuta!

#36 Guest_Paul Michael Phelan

Guest_Paul Michael Phelan
  • Guests

Posted 13 January 2007 - 05:35 PM

Hello friends,
My name is Paul, and I am married, and am nearing retirement. I have always loved Christ, and have been blessed many times. I thought about monastic life when I was young and single, and even spent a week in a Monastery, and loved the chant of the Hours several times a day. I have studied the Bible both as a Catholic and in a non-catholic Bible study online course- which is rather a good one. So I am open minded, yet a traditionalist; learning, not a scholar; applying, not just reading pages.
I come to follow the rules and conditions, and not debate religion, rather only to share the love Christ has for us in general, also to share in prayer requests. The world today is in rough shape and Christ centered way of life is important.
I hope that I will find here friends, and not an audience; prayers, and learning, not political fervor; love, and not fear, anger. It looks like a very nice site, I pray it continues to grow, giving glory to God. Thank you for letting me join you.
Peace be with you all. Paul

#37 John Charmley

John Charmley

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,101 posts
  • Guest from Another Religious Tradition

Posted 13 January 2007 - 06:35 PM

Dear Paul,

Welcome here!

There is neither fear, nor much anger here - we tend to leave that at the door. And if, at times, we become passionate, it is never directed against our brothers and sisters in Christ - and there is a welcome willingness to repent of any hastiness. There is a tendency to discuss rather than debate, and much quiet wisdom resides here - not least among those who do not post frequently.

May you find here not only what you seek and need, but those things which are needful, but you do not seek because you do not yet know of them.

As a way of sharing the love of Christ and His fellowship with other Christians, this is a good place, but those of us outside the Orthodox Church may need to remind ourselves, from time to time, that it is an Orthodox site, and we must respect that - even, of course, as we come to treasure it for just that fact.

You bring with you, by the sound of it, much that we can benefit from sharing, and I look forward to encountering you here in the year to come.

In Christ,

John

#38 Nicolaj

Nicolaj

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 371 posts

Posted 14 January 2007 - 01:18 PM

Dear Paul,

Let me welcome you on this forum and I can affirm the words John already wrote, sometimes a bit passionated but never condemning anyone!
The love of God unites all the heavens so why should we built walls that separate?
Come around and taste the fruits when brethren share their thoughts!

In Christ-Nicolaj

#39 M.C. Steenberg

M.C. Steenberg

Former Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,843 posts

Posted 14 January 2007 - 01:39 PM

This is an unusual post - either Matthew has established a monastery that I have yet to hear of, or Mihai is actually 'writing' a letter to Tolleshunt Knights, since he mentions perhaps working in Essex.

I'll admit to having been away for the past three weeks; but to the very best of my knowledge, I have founded no monasteries during that time (or any other!). :)

INXC, Matthew

#40 Guest_Paul Michael Phelan

Guest_Paul Michael Phelan
  • Guests

Posted 15 January 2007 - 01:40 PM

Thank you for the warm welcomes. I will learn many things and will be enriched for it. One Priest told me long ago in the midst of change in our Church, there are many different denominations, each flowering in their own way. He invited me to go and experience them. "Taste and see the goodness of the Lord." I will do so here, sincerely, humbly, and with much interest.

Hope to talk to you again soon.

Paul

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users