#721 Michael Astley

Michael Astley

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 562 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 09 December 2007 - 05:47 PM

It's great to see you both here, Yew Han and Mary. :)

#722 Mary Emily Hamilton

Mary Emily Hamilton

Regular Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 07:54 PM

It's great to see you both here, Yew Han and Mary. :)

Hi Michael! Glad to see you too! :)

Mary Emily

#723 Michael Astley

Michael Astley

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 09:01 PM

At long last I know what the E stands for. :)

#724 Christopher Matthew

Christopher Matthew

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 December 2007 - 01:27 AM

Hi everyone :)

I thought I'll just show up here.
Oh, and hello Michael!

I'm a second year student of Theology at the University of Wales in Lampeter and am young in the faith (only just received nearly 3 weeks ago)...nearly 3 years after my first experience of the Church the week after Theophany.

I ought to be doing an essay now but to be honest, I'm rather annoyed to find that all the books are out from the library :(....so I'm having to do it without the recommended material :confused:.

Anyhow.

In Christ
Christopher S. Matthew (only those I really know will know what the S. is for :P....till then it's a mystery!):)

#725 RichardWorthington

RichardWorthington

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 15 December 2007 - 11:16 PM

Hello Christopher,

I hope your studies go well ... and your time surfing here goes better!!

In Christ,

Richard

#726 Deacon Jonathan

Deacon Jonathan

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 16 December 2007 - 05:27 AM

Hello everyone,

My name is Jonathan and I am new to this community; I have visited this site often through search engines - searching numerous Orthodox topics - but never even realised it had a forum like this until now!

I am British, received into the Orthodox church only a year ago, but living in China so God-willing I can find Orthodox company here for support, prayer, and correction.

Humbly,
Jonathan

#727 Gabriela Grigore

Gabriela Grigore

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 16 December 2007 - 08:57 AM

Greetings all,

My name is Gabriela Grigore, I am Romanian Orthodox, 'born' Orthodox:), currently living in UK.

I am looking to spend the Christmas holidays in New York - USA. Does anyone know an Orthodox English Church in New York - on Manhattan Island? I really want to attend the Christmas liturgy on Christmas day there. I am looking to confess there as well. Do I have any chances to confess while I am there?

Glad to be with you all!

Wishing you all Happy Christmas! God bless!
:)

#728 Michael Astley

Michael Astley

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 16 December 2007 - 11:56 PM

Hi everyone :)

I thought I'll just show up here.
Oh, and hello Michael!

Hello, my friend!

Goodness! I must be careful what I say. So many people here know me from elsewhere, and some even from that thing they call Real Life. :)

Good to see you here.

M

#729 Kiera Kristin Taylor

Kiera Kristin Taylor

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 December 2007 - 12:39 AM

I live in Portland, Oregon and attend St. John the Baptist Greek Orthodox Church. I've been Orthodox for a couple of years -- thank God! My husband is not yet Orthodox -- or showing any signs of interest, truth be told. Pray for him, as well as for this sinner! I am a librarian in a public library. I am currently enjoying reading the letters of Father Seraphim Rose. Getting inside his mind in that way is very instructive, actually. Find me on Orthodox Circle as 'kristinsdottir.' I have a blog focused on offbeat modest clothing: http://www.offbeatmo...s.wordpress.com and another http://www.kristinsd...r.wordpress.com for sharing flotsam and jetsam. :)

#730 Father David Moser

Father David Moser

• Moderators
  • 3,581 posts
  • Verified Cleric

Posted 17 December 2007 - 02:29 AM

I am looking to spend the Christmas holidays in New York - USA. Does anyone know an Orthodox English Church in New York - on Manhattan Island? I really want to attend the Christmas liturgy on Christmas day there. I am looking to confess there as well. Do I have any chances to confess while I am there?

Wellll, this probably doesn't qualify as an "English" Church, but the Russian Cathedral of the Mother of God is on Park Ave and 93rd. The services are in Slavonic, but the priests all speak English quite well and so would probably be able to give you confession. The Russian Church is on the "Old Calendar" and so the Christmas services won't be until Jan 7th on the civil calendar, however the civil calendar date of Dec 25th is the feast of St Herman of Alaska and so I do not doubt that there would be services for the saint on that day. I guess that the Synod Cathedral doesn't really meet most of your requirements, but I thought I'd throw it in as an alternative in case you couldn't find anything else.

Fr David Moser

#731 Joanna Eleftheriou

Joanna Eleftheriou

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 December 2007 - 12:58 AM

Hello to all,

I have solved many questions about my faith over the past year by reading the discussion threads on Monachos.net. I would like to thank the administrators who so carefully offer their wisdom. I grew up in the Orthodox church, partly in a Greek American community in New York and partly in Limassol, Cyprus. I am turning twenty-nine soon, and have had various work positions that include teaching English as a second language. However, I conceive of myself always as a student. At present I am in the last year of a master's degree with a concentration in creative writing. I was trying to write an essay on my experience of the gift of being able to read the epistle in church when I realized how much I need to know (about the role of women in the Orthodox church, about what it means to serve God, about taking joy in service, and about the history of tonsuring Readers). So here I am, eager to learn.

#732 M.C. Steenberg

M.C. Steenberg

Former Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,843 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 11:27 PM

Welcome, Joanna. It is good to have you here, and I hope you continue to enjoy the Community. It is a place of great dialogue between many - so 'welcome to the fray'.

INXC, Dcn Matthew

#733 Giuliano Morais

Giuliano Morais

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 23 December 2007 - 02:59 PM

Dear friends,

I have been reading this forum for sometime and today took the courage of introducing me here in this topic. My name is Giuliano, 25 years old, live in Brazil, have been Roman Catholic in my childhood and had my agnostic period, besides having also my time of eastern religions student. I lately entered in touch with Orthodox Doctrine and Tradition and have learnt and got gradually close to it. I have been attending the mass at the Greek church here in my city and hope to make here some orthodox friends and to learn with you, within my own limitations both in my mindset and in english language.

#734 Paul Cowan

Paul Cowan

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 23 December 2007 - 09:19 PM

Dear friends,

I have been reading this forum for sometime and today took the courage of introducing me here in this topic. My name is Giuliano, 25 years old, live in Brazil, have been Roman Catholic in my childhood and had my agnostic period, besides having also my time of eastern religions student. I lately entered in touch with Orthodox Doctrine and Tradition and have learnt and got gradually close to it. I have been attending the mass at the Greek church here in my city and hope to make here some orthodox friends and to learn with you, within my own limitations both in my mindset and in english language.

Welcome brother to the 11th hour of this thread.

#735 Peter Wale

Peter Wale

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 24 December 2007 - 01:32 AM

Dear friends,

Welcome dear friend Giuliano. I admire you greatly for learning the English language and you are doing just fine.

In Our Lord Jesus Christ Peter Wale:)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users