52 replies to this topic

#21 Olga

Olga

• Moderators
  • 2,825 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 20 July 2007 - 05:13 AM

~blush~ Could you also include what "INXC" means. :o

It's shorthand for "In Christ" (XC being the Greek abbreviation for Christ - XPICTOC). Think of the pairs of letters on either side of Jesus' head in his icons (IC - [IHCOYC] XC).

#22 Elzabet

Elzabet

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 05:16 AM

Ah! I had noticed those but never asked. Thank you!

#23 Rdr Andreas

Rdr Andreas

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,032 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 10:47 PM

Regarding 'kakaya prelest' -

Sorry folks, but Lydia is clear that 'kakaya prelest' can only mean 'how charming'. It cannot be used to mean (if one would say so) 'what delusion', either in modern Russian or otherwise. If one were to remark that someone was in prelest, one would say, 'on v' prelesti'.

#24 Fr Raphael Vereshack

Fr Raphael Vereshack

• Moderators
  • 4,420 posts
  • Verified Monastic Cleric

Posted 21 July 2007 - 12:22 AM

Regarding 'kakaya prelest' -

Sorry folks, but Lydia is clear that 'kakaya prelest' can only mean 'how charming'. It cannot be used to mean (if one would say so) 'what delusion', either in modern Russian or otherwise. If one were to remark that someone was in prelest, one would say, 'on v' prelesti'.

woops! mea culpa once more.

#25 M.C. Steenberg

M.C. Steenberg

Former Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,843 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 08:57 AM

Dear friends,

As I shall be away from midweek for about 10 days, in and out of internet access, I intend to disable the dictionary system for this period, as I won't be able to keep a careful eye on it. Once I return to normal internet access, we'll get back to work on sorting through the final quirks of the system.

INXC, Matthew

#26 Herman Blaydoe

Herman Blaydoe

• Moderators
  • 4,157 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 12:34 PM

When I put quotes (") around a defined word, the parser does something weird. Let's see if I can recrreate it here:

The "Orthodox" Church

"reader" "ordination"

funny, it looks fine in preview but I guess I will have to actually post to see if this "works".

#27 Marie+Duquette

Marie+Duquette

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 03:26 PM

Dear Mr. Steenberg,

Hope your time away was restful!

Concerning this new project of the "dictionary":

1. I personally find that the underlined words are quite distracting as a whole. there are tooooooo many of them. They lead me away from the train of thought.

2. If a "dictionary" seems appropriate for this site, couldn't it be as a "resource" and not as a working tool in each post.

3. The "dictionary" is a great "tool", it seems for many who are inexperienced, or ignorant of the terms expressed in the majority of posts.

4. Why not have this "dictionary" for persons who need definitions at each turn of sentence; and, as an quick access for certain definitions.

After all, I don't suspect that MONACHOS is at any rate compared, or wants to be compared to Wikipedia, or other on-line dictionaries and encyclopedias. Do you or any other members of MONACHOS find the same difficulties that I experience?

Just a few thoughts, hopefully leading to simplifying the process of reading the many, many very informative and illuminating
materials on this web site.

Sincerely and humbly submitted,

marie_duquette

p.s. Again, thank you Michael, for attempting to render the MONACHOS site appealing and workable for some. Please consider the many.

#28 Rick H.

Rick H.

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,231 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 04:41 PM

Do you or any other members of MONACHOS find the same difficulties that I experience?

Well, I wasn't going to say anything; but, since the issue has been raised I will admitt that it is distracting to me as well.

Possibly, there could be a feature so that we could enable or disable the system? This way, the one's who find value in this are good to go, and the one's who find that it gets on their nerves can hit a button to make it go away.

In Christ,
Rick

#29 Elzabet

Elzabet

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 28 July 2007 - 01:41 AM

Do you or any other members of MONACHOS find the same difficulties that I experience?

Doesn't bother me in the least. The slight underlining is barely noticeable.

#30 Anthony

Anthony

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts

Posted 06 August 2007 - 02:25 PM

I see that the underlining (and the links) have been removed. I am no longer sure how to get to the dictionary - could it perhaps be added to the quick links menu? And I imagine people surfing in are probably unaware of its existence.

For what it's worth, I thought the linked dictionary was a valuable idea, well worth any slight inconvenience.

I was actually chasing up a specific question, going back again to prelest: it would be helpful to me to know which Greek word (if any) it is used as a translation of in the context of spirituality. (Possibly this question doesn't belong here, though there was a bit about it in the thread earlier.)

#31 Michael Stickles

Michael Stickles

• Moderators
  • 1,438 posts

Posted 06 August 2007 - 05:16 PM

Didn't see it in any of the menus, but here's the link:

http://www.monachos....odox_Dictionary

Prelest isn't on there at the moment. Here's what Fr. Raphael had to say back in the thread Ascesis and the Praxis of Orthodox Life > Living the Virtues and Commandments > Prelest

Prelest is the word in Slavonic for 'spiritual delusion'; in Greek it is 'plani'. The glossary at the end of the Philokalia Vol 1 says: "wandering astray, deflection from the right path; hence error, beguilement, the acceptance of a mirage mistaken for truth."

"Plani" is πλάνη in Greek characters; it means "delusion". In the NT, a verb form of this is used in referring to those who wander or stray (as in the parable of the lost sheep in Matthew 18:12-14).

In Christ,
Mike

#32 Elzabet

Elzabet

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 06 August 2007 - 05:18 PM

I see that the underlining (and the links) have been removed. I am no longer sure how to get to the dictionary - could it perhaps be added to the quick links menu? And I imagine people surfing in are probably unaware of its existence.

For what it's worth, I thought the linked dictionary was a valuable idea, well worth any slight inconvenience.

What he said. The links made it way more convenient and easy to use and they weren't that distracting at all. :confused:

#33 Marie+Duquette

Marie+Duquette

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 06 August 2007 - 06:30 PM

Dear Mr. Steenburg,

The beta testing for Dictionary is a good idea. As well as the Link to Dictionary.

I am grateful that the underlining is gone, at least for now. Do keep the link to the Dictionary! Thank you,
marie_duquette

#34 Michael Stickles

Michael Stickles

• Moderators
  • 1,438 posts

Posted 06 August 2007 - 07:31 PM

To toss my two cents in, I've found the underlining mildly annoying at times (mostly due to the sheer number of them), enough that having a user option to turn it off (as Rick suggested) would be appreciated, but not so much that I couldn't ignore it. Having a direct link to the dictionary page would be a great idea (maybe under "Site Areas"?).

#35 Anthony

Anthony

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 01:20 PM

"Plani" is πλάνη in Greek characters; it means "delusion". In the NT, a verb form of this is used in referring to those who wander or stray (as in the parable of the lost sheep in Matthew 18:12-14).

Dear Mike,

Thanks for this. I had the idea that it was "plani", but was confused by the element of "delight", which as far as I know the Greek doesn't have (?). I don't know whether this connotation is a later Russian development, or whether the Slavonic enriches the notion with a sense of "going in chase of (spiritual) pleasure".

As for the underlining, I too found it mildly distracting for about five minutes, after which I found myself just not processing it.

#36 Rick H.

Rick H.

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,231 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 02:43 PM

As for the underlining, I too found it mildly distracting for about five minutes, after which I found myself just not processing it.

It just occured to me that for the mild to moderate ADD folks the underlining can be less distracting and they may be able to work around it, but for others they may not be able to work around it so possibly again a feature to turn it on or off is the answer/solution--yes a middle ground even here.

#37 Elzabet

Elzabet

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 02:48 PM

It just occured to me that for the mild to moderate ADD folks the underlining can be less distracting and they may be able to work around it, but for others they may not be able to work around it so possibly again a feature to turn it on or off is the answer/solution--yes a middle ground even here.

That would be nice. It's way more of a distraction for me to stop reading in the middle of a sentence, go to the library, go to the dictionary, find the word and then try to go back to where I was before. That process completely distracts from the reading--which is intensive enough--while a little underlining is no big deal. I don't know if that makes me ADD or not, but if the option was there it would be nice.

#38 M.C. Steenberg

M.C. Steenberg

Former Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,843 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 04:01 PM

Dear all,

A reminder, as noted above, that the system has been switched off for the past two weeks as I have been away and it is not yet glitch-free.

I hope to continue work on it in the near future. The option to switch it on / off at the user level sounds a good one.

INXC, Matthew

#39 Anthony

Anthony

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 05:43 PM

Maybe you could add ADD to it?

#40 M.C. Steenberg

M.C. Steenberg

Former Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,843 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 06:32 PM

Dear all,

We've made some progress today on the new dictionary system.

We've fixed the parser so that it works correctly, and with additional functionality:
  • Dictionary terms are automatically highlighted, as before, with a special, non-overbearing underlining designed not to distract from reading (e.g. asceticism).
  • New: Passing your mouse over a dictionary term pops up a mini-definition on the same screen in a small box. This box disappears after a few seconds.
  • You can click on the term to be taken to its full entry in the dictionary, which is much longer and more thorough than the mini-entry in the popup box.
  • New: Users can switch off the dictionary system if they find it distracting or otherwise do not wish to use it. Simply visit your User Control Panel, click the 'Edit Options' tab on the left-hand side of the page. Scroll down to the 'Thread Display Options' section of the screen, and you'll find an option called 'Enable Orthodox Dictionary'. Switch this to 'No' to turn off the system; you can re-enable it at any time by reversing this process.
  • Other details on the dictionary and how it works remain as before, and are described in my first post in this thread.
This new parsing system means that we have manually to enter in all the terms anew, which takes some time. As of this post, we've only made it through the 'A's in the dictionary - so you'll see the parser at work on such terms as anaphora, apostle, amvon, and other terms in the 'a' section of the dictionary. Expect to see the system recognising the remainder of the entries over the next few days, as we find time to enter them in.

Any comments on the system most warmly welcomed, as ever.

INXC, Matthew

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users