#21 Angie

Angie

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 08 April 2011 - 11:32 AM

Reading the coffee cup is not harmless fun. "Confronting the devil, magic and the occult" by Arhim. Vassilios Bakoyannis is a book I would recommend to read. Believe me when I say you would not want to put it down!

#22 Nina

Nina

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,149 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 06:20 PM

Reading the coffee cup is not harmless fun.

I agree. Be careful.

Also the Orthodox Church does not beleive in the evil eye. But it has prayers against the evil eye (vaskania). These are negative energies that might influence some people. However frequent participation in the Holy Mysteries of the Church is protective against any form of evil.

Elder Porphyrios said something related to the "evil eye" or as it is expressed under matters of the disposition of the heart.

However, I agree with Andra and Effie that people often over-assign the reason of one not feeling well to the influence of the evil eye. Not always there is demonic, or negative influence when we do not feel well, and this is why the prayer against evil eye is not done too often in our Church.

#23 Bryan J. Maloney

Bryan J. Maloney

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 03:58 PM

However, I agree with Andra and Effie that people often over-assign the reason of one not feeling well to the influence of the evil eye.

And being so eager to believe such influence even plays into the hands of the Enemy, since it promotes the belief that he has even more power than he actually has. In short, it's just a good idea to steer clear of all of this stuff.

#24 Nina

Nina

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,149 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 04:26 PM

And being so eager to believe such influence even plays into the hands of the Enemy, since it promotes the belief that he has even more power than he actually has.

Actually this is the stance of Elder Porphyrios. However he also said about the evil eye as seen in the link above. It is a fine balance between the two. But he as ALL the Fathers of Orthodoxy say stay away from all these things.

#25 Anton S.

Anton S.

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 09:39 AM

The Russian Orthodox Church considers fortune-telling and using the services of fortune-tellers as incompatible with Orthodox spiritual life. Church bookshops are full of books warning against this danger. Articles on this subject are often published by the church press and priests often remind people in sermons before confession that fortune-telling is a sin (falling under the heading of 'superstition').

I used to have a mild interest in fortune-telling before being baptised, but some time after baptism - as soon as I started taking Orthodox faith seriously - I decided to have no truck with fortune-tellers, as the position of the Church on this matter seemed very clear and uncompromising.

#26 Alice

Alice

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 673 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 03:42 PM

No flirting with the arts of the evil one are 'harmless'...whether it is fortune telling, cup reading, tarot cards, ouija board, witchcraft, etc...

These are totally antithetical to the Christian life and invite the evil one into our lives, which is not a good thing, to say the least! Kyrie Eleison!

http://www.johnsanid...ellers-and.html

#27 Michael 'Anthony' Cornett

Michael 'Anthony' Cornett

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 04:45 PM

I heard a secondhand story of Frs Eleftherios and Stefanos in Thessaloniki who had called into one of the live TV fortune teller programs. Before the call, the soothsayer was seemingly accurate, and with much ease. When the Frs called in (not sure which was on the line), and were praying through it, the fortune teller was unable to get the slightest bit of reading. I think calling these people 'fortune tellers' is more than a lie...They are simply mediums. It's my understanding that the fathers then were able to chat w/ the person and give them a good reprimand with success.

#28 Xenia Moos

Xenia Moos

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 06:00 PM

Astrology falls into the same category. What to say when a self-identified Christian asks you what your astrological sign is? I usually say "Ï don't believe in astrology" and try to change the subject. I am thinking next time of saying "The only sign I believe in is the Sign of the Cross!"

#29 Alice

Alice

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 673 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 06:07 PM

(

Astrology falls into the same category. What to say when a self-identified Christian asks you what your astrological sign is? I usually say "Ï don't believe in astrology" and try to change the subject. I am thinking next time of saying "The only sign I believe in is the Sign of the Cross!"

If one follows horoscopes it does fall into the same category. How can the stars of the skies tell us what is going to happen or what we need to watch out about?? Lord have mery!

I am not really sure if light joking (while admitting to not believing in it) about having the personality traits of a zodiac sign is really that bad? Maybe those Christian people don't really believe in it either? I find that most people I have ever met do not.

I know I have joked about my children's signs at times because they really fell into the classic traits of them! :=) LOL (a stubborn bull and a twin/double personality) LOL...

I do not believe in horoscopes or astrology anymore than I believe in Monday's child's traits, Tuesday child's traits, etc....(does being born on a certain day really determine if you are 'full of grace' or 'fair of face'?!? LOL) sometimes it is just light conversation/humor for some people, though for other people they may really take these things seriously and that is spiritually dangerous.

Edited by Alice, 06 February 2012 - 06:35 PM.

#30 Niko Barounis

Niko Barounis

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 05:00 AM

Stupid, ignorant, usless stuff!

When you open the door to peek through...to see what is on the other side
well
whats on the other side can peep through and see you also.
and
sometimes whats on the other side...makes it past the door, to your side.
what are you going to do now?
was it worth the peek/curiosity?
absolutly not!

Stay on your side--lock, bolt, barricade the door.
dont assosiate with any of these usless things.

when someone speeks of these things go away.
when some one does these things RUN away.
even something as "fun" as reading your Fligani".
When im given a cup of coffee & i think the person will try to read it, i will happily do her dishes along with my cup.
i dont even want her to look at the rim and say to me she sees, money coming, or she sees a long trip comming.
cause for a second when she is in the procces of saying it i might pause for an instant and be tempted to listen...leaving the"door open just long enough for problembs to start.

Pray, worship, go to Church, participate in the sacraments---what else do you want?

#31 Bryan J. Maloney

Bryan J. Maloney

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 02:26 PM

Pray, worship, go to Church, participate in the sacraments---what else do you want?

Control. People want to feel like they control their surroundings. Dabbling in fortune telling is no different from obsession with the eschaton. Trusting God is easier said than done, so people consult soothsayers.

#32 Niko Barounis

Niko Barounis

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 03:49 AM

"Control">>>wasnt that what the devil wanted also?

Was it the old or new testament that i read (in a nutshell) "be like the birds...who dont worry abt the tomorow".

Never really thought of it before but "Control" is a scary word.

You dont have it and you want it~~what u gona do to get it? r u willing to...lie,cheat,steal,make a deal with u know who???

Now you have it what you gona do with it? control people, their thoughts,mind actions,money???

Take God as an example~~even he refused to "control" us.

Must be a reason for that, no?

#33 Anton S.

Anton S.

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 10:23 AM

Control. People want to feel like they control their surroundings. Dabbling in fortune telling is no different from obsession with the eschaton. Trusting God is easier said than done, so people consult soothsayers.

It is not only control, but also curiosity. It is only natural to want some contact with something mysterious and miraculous - mystical secrets are as tempting as wine or even drugs. And as dangerous, if not worse.

#34 Bill Schwan

Bill Schwan

Regular Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 01:53 AM

If fortune telling was of any practical use, fortune tellers would be spending all their time tweeking their investment portfolios based on paranormal insider information, living large and anonymous lives and not advertising their services. But it is a harmful practice. Look what it did for king Saul.

#35 Anton S.

Anton S.

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 11:28 AM

If fortune telling was of any practical use, fortune tellers would be spending all their time tweeking their investment portfolios based on paranormal insider information, living large and anonymous lives and not advertising their services. But it is a harmful practice. Look what it did for king Saul.

Sometimes fortune-tellers seem to give disturbingly correct predictions. Other kinds of magic also seem sometimes to work. But, on the whole, magic seems useless in practical things. Let us just remember the majestic pre-Columbian civilisations. Azteques had no shortage of pagan priests well versed in astrology and good at all sort of magic rituals, they even used human sacrifices - supposedly the most powerful means of magic - on a large scale. However, when attacked by a small band of Spanish adventurers armed with guns and riding horses, this huge and powerful kingdom fell like a house of cards. Mayans also had a well-developed astrology and magic system, but this did not save them from the Spanish conquest. In Africa, they also have practiced magic, including war magic, quite a lot. However, this did not save them from European colonisation. The only African country which managed to remain independent was Christian Ethopia.

Ergo: as a national strategy, magic, including fortune-telling, does not help you too much. On a individual scale, it seems to be the same. I have met a couple of people who seriously tried to achieve success in various things by means of astrology and other types of magic. They were simply beset by bad luck. One woman, who had studied astrology in-depth, developed some sort of psychological problem: she believed that whenever she thought of something bad, it immediately happened to her. This idea disturbed her very much, but she got better when she started going to church regularly.

#36 Bryan J. Maloney

Bryan J. Maloney

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 11:43 AM

"I met someone the other day, he asked me 'What's your sign?'. I blinked, and shouted "NEON!". I thought I'd blow his mind."

(Feeling a bit whimsical.)

#37 Michael Stickles

Michael Stickles

• Moderators
  • 1,438 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 05:21 PM

"I met someone the other day, he asked me 'What's your sign?'. I blinked, and shouted "NEON!". I thought I'd blow his mind."

LOL :-). The last time someone asked me "What's your sign?" (must've been 20+ years ago), I said "One way".

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users