9 replies to this topic

#1 Patrick Lee

Patrick Lee

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 03:10 AM

We chanted something today (I'm at the point that I can sight read Greek, but I have no idea what I'm saying). It was a long hymn with a refrain that started Xaire, referred to the cherubim and seraphim.

Any idea of what we were chanting (I had to leave in a hurry to get back to work, so couldn't ask)?

I'd love to see an English translation.

#2 Kusanagi

Kusanagi

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 716 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 03:34 PM

We chanted something today (I'm at the point that I can sight read Greek, but I have no idea what I'm saying). It was a long hymn with a refrain that started Xaire, referred to the cherubim and seraphim.

Any idea of what we were chanting (I had to leave in a hurry to get back to work, so couldn't ask)?

I take it is Axion Estin?

that's the hymn i know that refers to the Cherubim and Seraphim and it's usually sung to the Mother of God.

It is truly meet to call thee bless,
Ever Blessed Virgin and Mother of Our God.
More Honourable than the Cherubim
And beyond compare more glorious than the Seraphim.
Thee without corruption gave birth to God the Word, Very Mother of God thee do we magnify.

i think it is sung in tone 5?

if it isn't this then I have no idea.

#3 Nina

Nina

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,149 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 05:41 PM

The GO churches I have attended have bilingual service books available always for those attending. We also have bilingual bulletins with hymns/prayers of the day. Often there is also a transliteration of Greek, which makes it super easy to follow the chanting; and which the non-speaking-Greek-guests I had invited, enjoyed very much and someone, who is an ever-enthusiast said: "This is the perfect opportunity to learn Greek!" :)

I think you have chanted the Aghni Parthene (O Pure Virgin), a hymn by St. Nectarios of Aegina, who is a much beloved, modern Saint of Orthodoxy.

#4 Michael Stickles

Michael Stickles

• Moderators
  • 1,438 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 06:52 PM

Sounds like it might have been the Great Supplicatory Canon to the Mother of God. You can find a parallel Greek-English version at:

http://www.christoph...lish_people.htm

The main website is for two parishes in Limassol; their liturgical services page:

http://www.christoph...al_services.htm

carries a lot of links to similar documents (liturgies, Troparia and Kontakia, etc.).

In Christ,
Mike

#5 Fr Raphael Vereshack

Fr Raphael Vereshack

• Moderators
  • 4,420 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member
  • Verified Monastic Cleric

Posted 16 August 2007 - 09:59 PM

Somehow with all of the things you mention together: haire, cherubim & serpahim I suspect Nina is right that you heard the hymn to the Theotokos composed by St Nektarios of Aegina.

If it had a very strong & rhythmic melody this is almost certainly what you heard.

In Christ- Fr Raphael

#6 Nina

Nina

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,149 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 06:08 AM

Here you can hear the hymn Agni Parthene.

#7 Effie Ganatsios

Effie Ganatsios

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,725 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 06:38 AM

"PARAKLESIS

SERVICE OF SUPPLICATION TO THE THEOTOKOS

One of the most beautiful prayers and services in our Greek Orthodox faith is to

be found in the Supplication Service (Paraklesis) to the Theotokos, the Mother

of our Lord. The service is always done during the month of August, beginning

August 1st and concluding on August 15 with the Commemoration of the Falling

Asleep of the Theotokos. During this time, Orthodox Christians sing the

beautiful service of the Paraklesis to the Mother of God. "

Could this be the hymn?

Effie

#8 Michael Stickles

Michael Stickles

• Moderators
  • 1,438 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 01:02 PM

That would make more sense than the Supplicatory Canon. "Xaire" would be the "Rejoice". Wikipedia, of all places, has the Greek and English:

http://en.wikipedia....i/Agni_Parthene

so you can see if that looks like what you sang.

Mike.

#9 Patrick Lee

Patrick Lee

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 18 August 2007 - 06:01 AM

Here you can hear the hymn Agni Parthene.

That is the one! Thanks.

#10 Effie Ganatsios

Effie Ganatsios

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,725 posts

Posted 18 August 2007 - 06:12 AM

That is the one! Thanks.

Patrick and Nina, I cannot thank you enough. Last year I listened to the choir psalming (not supposed to use the word "sing") this hymn in the church of St. George and it was so beautiful - there is a psalter in this church who has an incredible voice. Unfortunately I didn't recognize the hymn. I went to the Microkastro monastery to ask them if they had it but my Greek was not up to my describing it accurately and the nuns gave me a couple of cassettes but this particular hymn was not included.

Thank you both so, so much.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users