#21 Paul Cowan

Paul Cowan

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 03 September 2007 - 01:25 AM

Your sentences made me laugh after phonetically reading them aloud, Fr. Raphael.

I have to say that I have always had a fondness for the Canadian accent (English). Their "ow" sound distinguishes them from the Americans. There are a few Canadian actors in America and I can mostly tell that they are Canadians when they pronounce "about" differently.

Effie

is that "ow" as in Cow? or "ow" as in Low? Thanks I don't know many Canadians but Fr. Seraphim. My inlaws from Maryland do pronounce "how" as "low". I suppose they are just misplaced Canadians?

Paul

#22 Paul Cowan

Paul Cowan

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 03 September 2007 - 01:32 AM

Presumably, Adam hadn't been lied to before and didn't know what a lie was, hence his confusion. How do we deal with the fact (as it appears to us, not to God) that the consequences of the Fall seem grotesquely out of proportion to the actual Fall (whatever that was - not the disobedience but the refusal to repent and the seeking to shift the blame eslewhere)?

I wonder if Adam had added the words "Yes, and" in this verse if things might have turned out differently for us (the Fall).

Genesis 3:12 Then the man said, “The woman whom You gave to be with me, she gave me of the tree, and I ate.”

This would then have been an admission of guilt and the confession of what happened rather than a shifting of blame to her?

Paul

#23 Effie Ganatsios

Effie Ganatsios

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,725 posts

Posted 03 September 2007 - 04:46 AM

is that "ow" as in Cow? or "ow" as in Low? Thanks I don't know many Canadians but Fr. Seraphim. My inlaws from Maryland do pronounce "how" as "low". I suppose they are just misplaced Canadians?

Paul

cow, definitely cow. When we say about it sounds like abowt = cow, bow wow(as in dog) NOT the bow in a small girl's dress...... am I thoroughly confusing you? Because I'm confusing myself I think.

Canadian pronounciation of this word sounds more like aboat. Do we have any Canadians here who can explain better? There are other words of course but when I hear someone say aboat for about I always assume that he is Canadian. The Canadian accent is one of the best English accents I think.

Of course different regions in every English speaking country use different English accents - I sometimes hear a very broad Australian accent and it sounds horrible and not at all like the way I speak, but everybody assumes that most Australians speak this way, when that's not at all true.

#24 Anthony

Anthony

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts

Posted 03 September 2007 - 12:52 PM

The phenomenon we are talking about is known as "Canadian raising": the first element of the diphthong [au] is raised from the "low" vowel [a] to somewhere in the region of [o]. (Similarly [ai] as in "mice" is pronounced something like "mace", with the [a] raised to somewhere in the region of [e] - though I have heard that this may be on its way out.)

The same thing occurs in some parts of the USA - I didn't know about Maryland, the one I know of is a little island off the east coast called Martha's Vineyard.

I agree that the Canadian accent is an exceptionally clear way of speaking English, even if Fr Raphael was joking :)

#25 David Naess

David Naess

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 06 October 2007 - 12:27 AM

Howdy Xenia!

In response to your original question...

You might want to take a look at:

http://www.hermitary.com/

I found that site before I found this one.

Of course, "hermitary" is a site that focuses on eremitism and the posters there (including me) try to stay away from "doctrine duels" due to the fact that we come from many different religious backgrounds.

(I'm "howdydave" on that board.)

BTW: Is it against the rules or in bad taste to refer people to other resources?

Edit:
Another site you might want to take a look at is:

St. Isaac of Syria Skete
http://www.skete.com...play&page_id=60

St. Isaac's is under the jurisdiction of the Bulgarian Orthodox Church. They are located in Boscobel, Wisconsin (southwest portion of the state, near the trisection of Wisconsin, Iowa and Minnisota.)

#26 Owen Jones

Owen Jones

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,341 posts

Posted 06 October 2007 - 10:58 AM

If one can find a spiritual father to give solid direction, then go for it. But a parish priest is going to give a knee-jerk reaction, i.e. don't!

So just do it, and report back to us on what you have learned -- in three to five years.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users