• Please log in to reply
230 replies to this topic

#181 George Phon.

George Phon.

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 02:44 PM

OK! Not to be left out of this exciting subject! I offer a discription of Flying Saucers from the Bible

Zech 5 Then I turned, and lifted up mine eyes, and looked, and behold a flying roll. And he said unto me, What seest thou? And I answered, I see a flying roll; the length thereof is twenty cubits, and the breadth thereof ten cubits. Then said he unto me, This is the curse that goeth forth over the face of the whole earth: for every one that stealeth shall be cut off as on this side according to it; and every one that sweareth shall be cut off as on that side according to it. I will bring it forth, saith the LORD of hosts, and it shall enter into the house of the thief, and into the house of him that sweareth falsely by my name: and it shall remain in the midst of his house, and shall consume it with the timber thereof and the stones thereof. Then the angel that talked with me went forth, and said unto me, Lift up now thine eyes, and see what is this that goeth forth. And I said, What is it? And he said, This is an ephah that goeth forth. He said moreover, This is their resemblance through all the earth. And, behold, there was lifted up a talent of lead: and this is a woman that sitteth in the midst of the ephah. And he said, This is wickedness. And he cast it into the midst of the ephah; and he cast the weight of lead upon the mouth thereof. Then lifted I up mine eyes, and looked, and, behold, there came out two women, and the wind was in their wings; for they had wings like the wings of a stork: and they lifted up the ephah between the earth and the heaven. Then said I to the angel that talked with me, Whither do these bear the ephah? And he said unto me, To build it an house in the land of Shinar: and it shall be established, and set there upon her own base.

Just kidding! I think!

Seraphim

Ha ha. I don't think it is a roll or a saucer flying in the air. It is a scroll that is about 30 feet by 15 feet in size. A saucer and a roll would need a diameter would they not?

It is also not a UFO because it is identified as a scroll.

George of the jungle

#182 Paul Cowan

Paul Cowan

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 28 May 2008 - 11:38 PM

Didn't you see Star Trek IV? That was a flying tube that talked to whales. Maybe there is truth in the evolution thread. Maybe we came from whales.

#183 Olga

Olga

• Moderators
  • 2,823 posts

Posted 29 May 2008 - 06:34 AM

Not quite, Paul, go back and read The Hitch-hiker's Guide to the Galaxy. You'll find all the answers there. :D

#184 Deanna Leonti

Deanna Leonti

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 29 May 2008 - 10:16 AM

what do you think about this?

http://news.yahoo.co.../vatican_aliens

I tried to go to this page and page was not found?.

Did anyone copy it?
if so may I read it?

Could it be possible that those who painted those "UFO" images on the ancient walls
somewhere ?were under the influence of something and caused a hallucination?.
look at the images that they thought their Gods looked like for an example?

well anyway
Thank You,

Deanna

Edited by Father David Moser, 21 November 2016 - 04:18 PM.

#185 Michael Stickles

Michael Stickles

• Moderators
  • 1,438 posts

Posted 29 May 2008 - 07:47 PM

I tried to go to this page and page was not found?.

Did anyone copy it?
if so may I read it?

It's still out there, just not on Yahoo! anymore. Try one of these links:

http://www.usatoday....an-aliens_N.htm
http://www.latimes.c...story?track=rss
http://www.chicagotr...story?track=rss

The articles should be identical; I just wanted to increase the chance that at least one would still be online when you tried to access them.

In Christ,
Mike

#186 Father David Moser

Father David Moser

• Moderators
  • 3,581 posts
  • Verified Cleric

Posted 29 May 2008 - 09:32 PM

Not quite, Paul, go back and read The Hitch-hiker's Guide to the Galaxy. You'll find all the answers there. :D

The answer, of course, is 42. But the real wisdom comes in knowing the question!

Fr David Moser

#187 Paul Cowan

Paul Cowan

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 07:17 PM

The answer, of course, is 42. But the real wisdom comes in knowing the question!

Fr David Moser

Oh nooo; not you too Father. Your image is so tainted now in my mind. :P

Have you read the 4th book in the trilogy?

#188 Guest_timoleon

Guest_timoleon
  • Guests

Posted 02 June 2008 - 08:29 PM

In one of the two books on Father Paisios by hieromonk Christodoulos of Agion Oros there is a section on Father Porfyrios. It said about a man who was doing katechitikon (don't know the english word on this sorry) in children. Once the children asked him about ufos. He didn't know what to say and he knew Father Porfyrios, he intented to ask him on a visit. He visited Father Porfyrios soon for a personal matter of his. Father Porfyrios advised him on it. Relieved he turned to leave and then father Porfyrios asked him "what do you think of these?" and made with his palm a move like a flying object. About the ufos that people say, said Father Porfyrios. The man marveled because he had forgotten to ask Father Porfyrios about ufos. Then Father Porfyrios told him that there isn't life anywhere else only on Earth and that these things -ufos- are of devils and demonic.

Also in a Greek book called "Martyries gia ton geronta Paisio apo proskinites" which tells personal stories from people knowing Father Paisios there is a text about a monk in Athos who asked father Paisios on aliens, if they exist in other worlds. And Father Paisios told him something like, as I remember it, that they went to Athos to save their souls and not to ask irrelevant questions.

I believe you know Alister Crowley. Once he summoned a demon and a form appeared to him in the shape the supposed alien greys have. If you google this you can find a sketch that he made. I don't doubt that they are demons and that life doesn't exist elsewhere but on Earth. The known astronomer J. Vallee said that the ufo phenomenon is real and that there is a conciousness behind it trying to alter the human culture and ideas in an unknown way. Then if you check the "disclosure project" check it in video.google.com or youtube you'll see that many credible people from US military, secret services, and companies (researchers and engineers) many of them high ranked and with their names want to testify in Congress that they were involved in many ways in the retrieval of vehicles and bodies of entities not from this world. That thay have copied , back engineered this technology and even that they cooperate with them on undergound bases.

IF THERE IS AN ORTHODOX PRIEST HERE I WANT HIS ADVICE on this question: If these witnesses say the truth can we say that in our years the demons have appeared in physical forms as supposed aliens?Can this happening? And maybe they want to drive us technologically in certain places or that in this way they want to appear as saviours and messiahs so that they can trick us? Many scientific works say that if an advanced civilization came in contact with Earth our civilization and society would collapse and we would follow their way. Could this be what demons want and they dare to appear in physical forms and cooperate with various people?

If an orthodox father can in this forum please answer me. Thank you and Christos Anesti, Christ is Risen!!!

Edited by Herman Blaydoe, 02 June 2008 - 11:52 PM.
Added spaces after punctuation and returns between paragraphs.

#189 Fr Raphael Vereshack

Fr Raphael Vereshack

• Moderators
  • 4,420 posts
  • Verified Monastic Cleric

Posted 03 June 2008 - 12:21 PM

If these witnesses say the truth can we say that in our years the demons have appeared in physical forms as supposed aliens?Can this happening? And maybe they want to drive us technologically in certain places or that in this way they want to appear as saviours and messiahs so that they can trick us? Many scientific works say that if an advanced civilization came in contact with Earth our civilization and society would collapse and we would follow their way. Could this be what demons want and they dare to appear in physical forms and cooperate with various people?

Quite a few years ago this is exactly what Fr Seraphim Rose said and wrote. I still trust that this is so.

In the risen Christ- Fr Raphael

#190 Robert Hegwood

Robert Hegwood

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 05:23 PM

If indeed our little earth is the only place that has life in all the universe then that raises for me an interesting related question to that of aliens. If we are "alone" then that leaves a literally astronomical amount of empty real estate out there. One has wonder does God intend that at some juncture life here will be given to take root and flourish out there? Is earth the "germ" of biological life meant to be spread across the heavens...or do we remain this little garden?

Frankly, I would not be adverse to learning in some not too distant future of the establishment of an Orthodox monastery in some cratered nook on Mars...a new "high Thebaid" of sorts.

#191 Michael Stickles

Michael Stickles

• Moderators
  • 1,438 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 06:45 PM

If we are "alone" then that leaves a literally astronomical amount of empty real estate out there. One has wonder does God intend that at some juncture life here will be given to take root and flourish out there? Is earth the "germ" of biological life meant to be spread across the heavens...or do we remain this little garden?

No need for life to spread "out there" to give the "out there" a purpose. I like to think of the universe as a massive cathedral. Its immense size stretching out beyond us is like the high vaulted ceilings of the medieval cathedrals towering above the worshippers; the stars, galaxies and constellations "declare the glory of God" as do the murals and stained glass art of the cathedrals. Perhaps the function of all that empty real estate is the same as the function of the vaulted "empty" space of a cathedral; by its sheer size and beauty to inspire awe in the viewer.

In Christ,
Mike

#192 Paul Cowan

Paul Cowan

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 07 June 2008 - 02:57 AM

Perhaps the function of all that empty real estate is the same as the function of the vaulted "empty" space of a cathedral; by its sheer size and beauty to inspire awe in the viewer.

In Christ,
Mike

Why does God make flowers? For the enjoyment of mankind.

We should learn more about our universe under the sea before we go trapsing off and destroying another ecology. I am all for space exploration, but we are still discovering "new" life forms under our deep oceans. Let's perfect this world, before we screw up another one. Or are we to the point now of disposable planets?

Paul

#193 Jonathan Companik

Jonathan Companik

Regular Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 07 June 2008 - 05:33 AM

I prefer to be open-minded about these things. I think the abductions are clearly demonic. Are UFOs as such always demonic? That, IMO, is another question altogether. Even if contemporary sightings are (i.e. spiritual exploitation due to the profound naivete and ignorance of modern man), does it necessarily follow that alien races do not exist anywhere? Logically speaking, I can't see why this would have to be.

So, do they exist? Who knows. Do we "need" them to exist? No. Are we better off focusing on the salvation of our souls? Of course. But the logic which assumes that there must be something inherently demonic behind the mere notion that intelligent existence may reside elsewhere in the universe is, in my mind, as big a stretch conjecturally as the assumption that they do exist. I think God is a bit too big for us to decide what He can or can't do.

If an intelligent race existed elsewhere, would this destroy the Faith? Why? I guess I've never seen a very persuasive answer to that question.

#194 Kosmas Damianides

Kosmas Damianides

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 01:21 PM

Hi Guys

If Aliens do in fact exist, and this is a big IF....do they have any chance of affecting us or contacting us? No, because if they are truly advanced life forms, (at least enough to make a radio or use electricity) they would have found a way to contact us by now.

Can we maybe find a way to contact them? No, because they probably think that we are just demons in disguise or believe that Aliens don't exist or find this topic a waste of their time.

Does God want us to bother with this topic? No, because there are much more important things to do, think or talk about.

Does God want them to contact us? No, they probably would be better off not knowing us. Furthermore, he probably feels that they should not waste their time and resources to do something so un-important.

What should we do then? Pray to God for our salvation and do what God wants us to do, help those in need, use our time most effectively and dilligently.

In Christ

Fr Kosmas

#195 Ilias Ioa

Ilias Ioa

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 06:12 PM

Hi,I spent many hours on the subject of ufos etc. I know the potential of it being demonic in nature, I have read father Seraphim Rose's books as well.I made this thread with the intention to ask the Orthodox Fathers in here their opinion on the matter.Many astronomers and astrobiologists after the latest discoveries say that it could be very possible for intelligent life to exist in the universe besides Earth.It would be really great if this was true.
As an orthodox christian I'm really interested on what can our Patristic Tradition and the orthodox dogma say on this.So my question is to to Fathers and Orthodox Priests here:Fathers does our Church has a position on the existence of intelligent life besides earth?Has any orthodox father or saint said something?
I respect the other users of the forum, but I don't need the opinions of other doctrines or religions on this matter, Orthodoxy is The Only Way for me.Thank you for your time,I await for your answers.

#196 Guest_Joe Smith

Guest_Joe Smith
  • Guests

Posted 07 January 2009 - 11:50 PM

Vladimir Moss has an article on Genetics, UFOs, and the birth of the Antichrist, on his website.

They are clearly demonic. There are 10,000 documented cases in America of people who ,while being abducted by aliens, when they called on Christ, the aliens vanished. This should tell us something about there nature.

The whole Extra-Terrestrial movement is headed in the direction that they are our creators. This will be a massive deception in the last times.

#197 Vasiliki D.

Vasiliki D.

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 05:16 AM

Perhaps it is useful to note that in Genesis God did not directly create either animals or plants, rather He spoke to the water and to the land and told them to bring forth various kinds of life. Perhaps God made the foundational componants of creation fecund and life generating. That could mean perhaps that plant and a certian level of animal life might be possible on other suitably hospitable planets. Perhaps life is made to be an emmergent property of matter given the right conditions? Just a thought.

This brings up an interesting point raised on another thread - the correct translation of the word "epoisen" ... on the other thread the general consensus, according to the academics, is that this is accepted to be translated as "created" - However, there are a small few who prefer to use the word "authored" as a translation in lieu of created because Created versus authored imply two different ways of "creating", if you like. The word create gives an image of using ones hands to build to author implies you use your speech or your Word and it shapes ...

I personally preference the word "author" because I have heard of a scientific theory that describes creation having been influenced by light and sound waves ... such a theory (not fact of course) has merit if you thinkg of Word in its literal since ... the Word was God and the Word was made flesh and the Word is alive ... WORD ... SOUND WAVES - if God authored could it be that our world (scientifically speaking if the theory is correct) was shaped by sound and light waves rather than a theory of evolution ... or perhaps both but with God as the premise?

If I ever come across the technical name for this theory I will be sure to cite.

#198 Olga

Olga

• Moderators
  • 2,823 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 05:19 AM

I remember learning this theory in high school (about light and sound) ... if I ever come across its technical name and an article I will be sure to cite.

Vasiliki, it's called "quantum mechanics" or "quantum physics".

#199 Vasiliki D.

Vasiliki D.

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 05:33 AM

I would like to see some Orthodox writings dating further back than Father Seraphim Rose. He is a wonderful theologian but he is easy to disregard since he is from our day and age ...

If we could further substantiate the churches stance from writings dating to the early church fathers it would be nice, such as Saint Basil the Great ...

I have heard that Saint Basil wrote a wonderful book called the Hexaimeron ... surely, in this literary masterpiece (which I have not been fortunate enough to read) he must clear up the confusion of intelligent life existing anywhere but here ...

Can anyone who has read his work add to this discussion based on the words of the saint? My approach would be to ask the question:

Was all of Creation (including the universe) created for MAN? Does the Saint write about this?

If he writes that Creation WAS for man then:
a) the existance of micro-organisms on other planets fit into this premise of creation being made for man (as Father David has pointed out so many times) but
b) it would not support the existance of Alien life forms on other planets since HOW do they fit into serving a purpose for mankind?

ALL OF CREATION was created for MAN - for his survival and then for his salvation.

How would an alien help man in his survival and in his salvation?

#200 Paul Cowan

Paul Cowan

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 05:45 AM

How would an alien help man in his survival and in his salvation?

Oh, that's easy. As soon as we screw up this world enough, they will come and take us to theirs so we can screw it up too. So, giving us more time to repent of our sins.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users