#41 Rdr Andreas

Rdr Andreas

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,032 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 24 March 2013 - 02:08 PM

Thank you, Ilaria.  I see that this is at p 403 in the English edition.

As to anyone wanting to meet a holy elder, one should be careful not to look too hard and not have too high expectations: spiritual blessings come unexpectedly.  And there are very very few in the world these days.  It is repeatedly said in Russia that there are no elders anymore. 

Edited by Andreas Moran, 24 March 2013 - 02:08 PM.

#42 Ilaria

Ilaria

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 12:32 PM

yes, Andreas, they are rare and hard to meet. Anyway, to seek and find a holy elder is like climbing a mountain to get a breath of fresh air and have a nice view from the above, for a moment. But one can not rest there; we have to descend and continue our path, from our place.

#43 Lakis Papas

Lakis Papas

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 12:43 PM

We must not become seekers of "holy elders", we must seek God. God can be found in any fellow-man. 

On Pilgrimages – St. Gregory of Nyssa  

#44 Rdr Andreas

Rdr Andreas

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,032 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 01:29 PM

Some years ago, I was president of my local Orthodox community and so my name and number were in a directory.  Occasionally, men would phone me to ask how to go about a pilgrimage to Mount Athos (where I have not been).  I would say, 'have you been yet on pilgrimage to Essex?'  'Essex?', would be the reply, and the conversation would come to a quick end!

#45 El Stamatakos

El Stamatakos

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 05:08 PM

I read a paragraph in "Precious Vessels of the Holy Spirit" published by Protecting Veil. On page 16 of the Intro it says "

The ability of the elder to take your soul and your will into his soul and will is a fruit of his own willingness to empty himself and thus make room for others. This self-emptying is not superficial, but ontological, such that there is a real identification of the elder with the life of his spiritual child. Such a total commitment to other people requires complete self-sacrifice, as well as advancement along the spiritual path. Without experiential knowledge of the spiritual path the elder is practically unable to help others. There is a reference to St John Climacus that explains this necessary aspect of the elder:" A genuine teacher is he who has received from God the table of spiritual knowledge, inscribed by His Divine finger, that is, by the in-working of illumination, and who has no need of other books."

When experiential knowledge of the spiritaul path is absebt humanity seeks other ways to heal with its spiritual illnesses. The Holy Spirit, abiding in the Church and guiding Her into all truth (John 16:13) since Pentecost, has taught the Church the ways of spiritual healing, establishing in Her as a "spiritual hospital." The elder acts as both as this hospital's finest surgeon as well as its chief medical school instructor.

Blessings to all

#46 Rdr Andreas

Rdr Andreas

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,032 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 08:14 PM

Readers may wish to be aware that Elder Gabriel of Georgia was canonised on 20 December 2012 by the Holy Synod of the Church of Georgia.

Details concerning St Gabriel may be found at this website:

http://www.monkgabri...e/eng/index.htm

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users