7 replies to this topic

#1 Robert Hegwood

Robert Hegwood

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 16 September 2007 - 10:43 PM

I am looking for images of the Kholmsk icon of the Theotokos and of St. Ignatius of the New Martyrs of Kholm. So far I've not located any of either on the internet? Any clues as to where to find these?

#2 Rdr Andreas

Rdr Andreas

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,033 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 16 September 2007 - 11:19 PM

For the Kholmsk Mother of God, type in Russian on a Google image search:

Холмская Икона Божей Матери

There are a couple of images which should show up.

I don't know enough Russian to be able to type in what you'd need for St Ignatius.

#3 Rdr Andreas

Rdr Andreas

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,033 posts

Posted 16 September 2007 - 11:42 PM

To find St Ignatius, you'd have to type in:

Св Игнатий Холмский

There is an icon of the new martyrs of Kholmsk at this site:

www.pravoslavie.ru/cgi-bin/sykon/client/display.pl?sid=654&did=1590

But the text is in Chinese! Or Russian! Depending on . . . I don't know!

#4 Fr Raphael Vereshack

Fr Raphael Vereshack

• Moderators
  • 4,420 posts
  • Verified Monastic Cleric

Posted 17 September 2007 - 03:08 PM

I am looking for images of the Kholmsk icon of the Theotokos and of St. Ignatius of the New Martyrs of Kholm. So far I've not located any of either on the internet? Any clues as to where to find these?

For St Ignatius you can go to this page on pravoslavie.ru.

Scroll down the page a bit and under Игнатий there is a lengthy list of saints. Unfortunately I couldn't see one that was referred to specifically as being among the Kholm martyrs. But often the titles vary given in lists of such saints.

In Christ- Fr Raphael

#5 Olga

Olga

• Moderators
  • 2,827 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 09:21 AM

But the text is in Chinese! Or Russian! Depending on . . . I don't know!

Simply change the encoding on your web browser to Cyrillic (Windows) to view the site properly.

Fr Raphael

Below is the list of saints commemorated as the Assembly of the New Martyrs of Kholm:

Причисляет к лику святых Холмских и Подляшских Мучеников:

отца протопресвитера плк. Василия Мартыша (Тератин, 4 мая 1945 г.), отца протоиерея Павла Швайка и Иоанну (Грабовец, 28 августа 1943 г.), отца Николая Гольца (Новоселки, 2 апреля 1944 г.), отца Льва Коробчука (Ласков, 10 марта 1944 г.), отца Петра Огризенко (Чортовец, 10 апреля 1944 г.), отца Сергия Захарчука (Наброж, 6 мая 1943 г.), монаха Игнатия (монастырь в Яблочине, 9/10 августа 1942 г.).

These being:

Hieromartyr Basil (Martysh), Priest; Hieromartyr St Paul (Shvayko) Priest and his Presbytera, St Ivanna; Hieromartyr Nicholas (Holtz), Priest, Hieormartyr Leo (Korobchuk), Priest; Hieromartyr Peter Ohrizhko, Priest;
Hieromartyr Sergius Zakharchuk, Priest; Venerable Martyr Ignatius from the Yablochny Monastery of St Onuphrius

The Feast of these New Martyrs has been set for the First Sunday of June each year. St Herman's Calendar also lists a number of these saints on their respective individual feast days. St Ignatius' feast day is on July 28/August 10.

#6 Anthony

Anthony

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 09:42 AM

Could somebody post a brief summary of what happened at Kholm? From the very brief references I have been able to find I am not clear whether this was the work of the Nazis or the Polish RCC.

#7 Nina

Nina

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,149 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 07:14 PM

This is from my emails that I receive from a friend (sorry there was no icon attached to this message - sometimes there are and sometimes there are not). We commemorate this icon on September 8:

Icon of the Mother of God of Kholm

The Kholm Icon of the Mother of God, by a tradition transmitted through Bishop James the Emaciated, was painted by the Evangelist Luke. It was brought from Greece to Russia in the time of St Vladimir, who after Baptism received many icons as a gift from Constantinople.

The Kholm image of the Mother of God is rendered on a board of cypress wood. In the year 1261 at the time of an invasion of the Tatar (Mongol) Horde, the city of Kholm was pillaged, and the icon of the Theotokos also suffered: the jeweled frame was taken, the painting damaged and the icon itself thrown down. After an hundred years the holy icon was relocated and solemnly placed in the Kholm cathedral. On the icon there remain two deep gashes: one on the left shoulder of the Theotokos, the other on Her right hand. There is a tradition that the invading Tatars were punished after they plundered and damaged the holy icon. They lost their sight, and their faces became distorted. Accounts of the miraculous signs worked by the Kholm Icon of the Mother of God, are recorded in a book by Archimandrite Joannicius (Golyatovsky) entitled THE NEW HEAVEN.

#8 Michał

Michał

Conversationalist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 06:17 PM

Most of the saints from the Synaxis of Saints of the Chełm Land and Podlachia were killed by Polish nationalists however there are some, that were killed by the Germans (like St. Ignatius) or Soviets.

And here is an icon of him:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users