#1 Paul Cowan

Paul Cowan

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 21 September 2007 - 01:28 AM

I noticed when I was almost at 100 posts on the post counter I was bumped back to 80. Now I have been sitting on 390 for what seems like a couple of weeks. I am now on 391. Not that the number matters, but I wonder if others are being electronically spurned?

Paul

#2 Father Anthony

Father Anthony

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 21 September 2007 - 02:03 AM

I noticed when I was almost at 100 posts on the post counter I was bumped back to 80. Now I have been sitting on 390 for what seems like a couple of weeks. I am now on 391. Not that the number matters, but I wonder if others are being electronically spurned?

Paul

Paul,

It is an evil plot from the forum software developers to encourage you to post more. :eek:

In IC XC,
Father Anthony+

#3 Paul Cowan

Paul Cowan

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 21 September 2007 - 03:43 AM

Conspiracy. I knew it! First I am not supposed to listen, hear or read anything and believe it. Now there are master minds at work in my computer making it force me to stay up to all hours of the night posting until it geometrically considers enough posts to equal 1 and THEN it hangs on to it for a week tempting me to write and write and write until I see 2.

Oh Fr., Thank you. Now I know. I can now approach this from a completely different angle. I can hijack one of these slurping spiders to write for me instead of reading threads and fool the technobots into thinking I am online typing until 3:00am and perhaps give me 3 for today. Who knows by the end of the year, I might be back to where I was 6 months ago. :cool:

Gratefully,

Paul

#4 M.C. Steenberg

M.C. Steenberg

Former Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,843 posts

Posted 21 September 2007 - 09:11 AM

I enjoyed your posts, Paul. :-)

For the information of all: posts made in the 'casual and personal discussion' section of the Community don't effect one's total post count (the number that appears next one's name on posts, in profiles, etc.). The thought behind this was to try to have the posts number reflect contributions to active thematic threads - else the numbers get awefully inflated from 'Welcome, Jim!' posts, etc. You can always spot quickly whether you're posting in the Casual / Personal area, because it, together with the present Test Area, are the only parts of the board that allow 'smilies' ( :) ) in posts.

The only time anyone's number should have gone down was several months ago now, when we first introduced this distinction between the casual area and the rest of the forum, in which case everyone's post count 'dropped' reflecting that change. But there should have been no decreases since.

If anyone is ever curious to know their actual total post count, including posts made to the casual / personal areas, I think there is a manner for me to find this out - undoubtedly after some long, gruelling ordeal in an admin interface.

INXC, Dcn Matthew

#5 Father Anthony

Father Anthony

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 21 September 2007 - 10:44 AM

Conspiracy. I knew it! First I am not supposed to listen, hear or read anything and believe it. Now there are master minds at work in my computer making it force me to stay up to all hours of the night posting until it geometrically considers enough posts to equal 1 and THEN it hangs on to it for a week tempting me to write and write and write until I see 2.

Oh Fr., Thank you. Now I know. I can now approach this from a completely different angle. I can hijack one of these slurping spiders to write for me instead of reading threads and fool the technobots into thinking I am online typing until 3:00am and perhaps give me 3 for today. Who knows by the end of the year, I might be back to where I was 6 months ago. :cool:

Gratefully,

Paul

Paul,

You just described the new math they now teach in schools. Now, I believe the reports that these software developers are getting younger. By the process you described they must be about 12 years old. :D

All kidding aside, I believe our administrator had explained it once before that any posts in these two areas don't add to our count, not that the count really means much.

In IC XC,
Father Anthony+

#6 Paul Cowan

Paul Cowan

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 22 September 2007 - 03:42 AM

Thank you Matthew for the explanation. I guess it is now glaringly obvious to everyone where the majority of my posts are made. (in the feel good sections). All is well.

Paul

#7 Jad Wolf

Jad Wolf

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 24 September 2007 - 04:43 AM

Paul

Dear Paul...
i don't know about electronically spurned, but i would like some help in
another but related area. How do i do a post and what is a thread? is there some button to mash (that is southern for "push") so that i can ask a question?

sorry not to answer your question but i really don't know where to go.

in Christ,
jw

#8 Fr Raphael Vereshack

Fr Raphael Vereshack

• Moderators
  • 4,420 posts
  • Verified Monastic Cleric

Posted 24 September 2007 - 02:39 PM

Dear Paul...
i don't know about electronically spurned, but i would like some help in
another but related area. How do i do a post and what is a thread? is there some button to mash (that is southern for "push") so that i can ask a question?

sorry not to answer your question but i really don't know where to go.

in Christ,
jw

Dear Jad & other newcomers,

A thread is the series of posts which follow a particular topic. For example the present thread is called Post counter.

In order to post a reply to this thread (you can reply to the last post or any post within the thread) simply press the Reply button within the post you are responding to or else the Reply button at the end of the thread (ie at the bottom of the page). In the first case the reply pane opens up with a quote of the post you wish to specifically reply to. In the second case a new pane opens without any quotes from previous posts; this latter way of replying is often more appropriate to general rather than specific replies to posts.

For more specific instructions, especially on the terms for new comers to the Forum please refer to the Discussion Community Terms of Use.

For newcomers, ie unregistered guests, scroll down the page to the section: Part IV: Use of the Forum by Unregistered Guests.

Welcome to the community!

In Christ- Fr Raphael
co-moderator

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users