#1 Michael Astley

Michael Astley

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 562 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 28 September 2007 - 04:04 PM

Does anybody know whether such a thing as an English translation exists and if so, if and where it is available for purchase? If so, and you would share here, I should be very grateful.

Many thanks.

Michael

#2 Fr Raphael Vereshack

Fr Raphael Vereshack

• Moderators
  • 4,420 posts
  • Verified Monastic Cleric

Posted 28 September 2007 - 04:23 PM

Does anybody know whether such a thing as an English translation exists and if so, if and where it is available for purchase? If so, and you would share here, I should be very grateful.

Many thanks.

Michael

Do you mean the Obikhod melodies as can be used for example at the Lord I have Cried sticheri? If so, you are searching for melodies and notation rather than texts. These can be found within the jurisdictions which use these types of melodies.

But could it be you mean the Octoechos?

In Christ- Fr Raphael

#3 Michael Astley

Michael Astley

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 06:10 PM

Please forgive my delayed response, Father. I'm not quite sure I understand what it is that I'm looking for. I know where to get my hands on various troparion and kontakion tones and other similar things which set English translations to Obikhod chants but my understanding (which may be wrong) is that there is actually a single volume called the Obikhod which contains various music for portions of the Liturgy. It is this in English for which I'm looking, if such a thing exists.

Thank you.

Michael.

#4 Fr Raphael Vereshack

Fr Raphael Vereshack

• Moderators
  • 4,420 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 10:49 PM

Please forgive my delayed response, Father. I'm not quite sure I understand what it is that I'm looking for. I know where to get my hands on various troparion and kontakion tones and other similar things which set English translations to Obikhod chants but my understanding (which may be wrong) is that there is actually a single volume called the Obikhod which contains various music for portions of the Liturgy. It is this in English for which I'm looking, if such a thing exists.

Thank you.

Michael.

I've not heard of such a volume myself (of course though that doesn't mean it doesn't exist!). The word Obikhod usually refers to the Lord I Have Cried melodies as arranged by Bakhmetev.

In Christ- Fr Raphael

#5 Jeremiah Taluzek

Jeremiah Taluzek

Regular Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 10:20 PM

During my frequent perusing of the internet, I have located several books referred to as "Obikhod"--to my knowledge, this means "practice" in Russian. They are books of collected melodies for all sorts of different hymns-- "Gospodi Vozzvakh", various stichera, aposticha tones, etc. Here is the link to the Obikhod of the Valaam Monastery, which includes many absolutely beautiful and moving melodies: http://orthodoxtwopa...alObih1909C.pdf. I also found another Obikhod on Seminaria.ru, in square-note notation: http://seminaria.ru/...t/obih_vsen.htm. That website is fascinating, if you get the chance to check it out, because they have .pdf files of the Obikhod, the Octoechos with melodies, and some older Znamenny chant books set in kriuk notation. To my knowledge, there have been no formal "Obikhod" book collections of chants translated into English yet. If I completely erroneous in my understanding of these books, please let me know, because I don't speak Russian or Slavonic for that matter, and this is primarily conjecture.

In Christ,
Jeremiah

#6 Fr Raphael Vereshack

Fr Raphael Vereshack

• Moderators
  • 4,420 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 01:33 PM

During my frequent perusing of the internet, I have located several books referred to as "Obikhod"--to my knowledge, this means "practice" in Russian.

Obichod means more 'common practice' or that which is commonly used.

I have been told this name arose from how these melodies were developed during the 19thc in relation to the large variety of ancient & local melodies that were in use in Russia at the time. As part of this the Obichod was considerably simplified following western styles of music in comparison let's say to Kievan or Znamenny chant.

But I don't know if this explanation is entirely right or not.

In Christ- Fr Raphael

#7 Anthony Stokes

Anthony Stokes

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 413 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 06:37 PM

I'm a little delayed in seeing this thread.

Fr. Raphael is correct, as is Jeremiah.

Obikhod refers to common melodies, and there are many sets of them. There are several books called "Obikhod," usually deliniated by year and location.

In the West, when most people say Obikhod, they are usually referring to the St. Petersburg Court Chant as arranged by L'vov and Bakhmetev. I stopped labelling it as Obikhod about a year ago just to be more correct. I call it "Russian Court Chant/Bakhmetev" whenever I set music to those tones. As Fr. Raphael said, the Bakhmetev Obikhod is basically a simplified version of Kievan chant for the stichera tones. The troparion and canon tones are a mixture of Russian "Greek" Chant, Kievan, Bulgarian, and Znamenny chant. Here is a chart to show where each tone in the 1914 Obikhod came from - http://www.synaxis.i...khod_tones.html

I have not seen a complete English translation of an Obikhod volume, but there are some that are semi complete, I believe.

Sbdn. Anthony

#8 Ryan

Ryan

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 837 posts

Posted 07 October 2015 - 08:09 PM

In case anyone's still interested, Saint Tikhon's press is publishing an English Obikhod (as A Common Book of Church Hymns: Divine Liturgy). A trial version sold out and the hardback edition will be available in December.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users