- - - - -

Patristic thoughts about psychology/philosophy

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Chad Duskin

Guest_Chad Duskin
  • Guests

Posted 23 April 2004 - 06:45 AM

I am doing a paper for a graduate class and my topic is the Orthodox view of psychology. I know that psychology as an independent science did not really develop until recently (relatively speaking). I was wondering how the study of the psyche was covered by the church fathers (if at all) and how it compares with how it has developed in the West. Any sources or websites would be appreciated.

#2 John Curtis Dunn

John Curtis Dunn

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 23 April 2004 - 01:45 PM

I would recommend reading Seth Farber's ETERNAL DAY: The Christian Alternative to Secularism and Modern psychology.

john dunn

#3 Melissa

Melissa

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 23 April 2004 - 02:02 PM

Chad,

The book, Orthodox Psychotherapy by Metropolitan of Nafpaktos Hierotheos, translated by Esther Williams, should help you. I think you'll find in it things that address your topic. I've found it immensely helpful in trying to understand my role as a therapist who is Orthodox, so I hope it offers illumination for your research, also.

The ISBN # is 960-7070-27-5.

There's also an organization of Orthodox mental health professionals whose acronym and website I can't rememebr right now, sorry. If I remember or if someone else knows, I'm sure it'll get posted.

Good luck! God bless your research!

In Christ,
Melissa

#4 Daniel Jeandet

Daniel Jeandet

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 23 April 2004 - 02:55 PM

http://www.fatherale..._d_avdeev_e.htm

Thats a good link in my opinion

#5 Herman Blaydoe

Herman Blaydoe

• Moderators
  • 4,157 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 23 April 2004 - 12:55 PM

Some (IMO) absolutely essential references have to be the writings of Metropolitan Hiertheos (Vlachos) Orthodox Psychotherapy and The Illness and Cure of the Soul in the Orthodox Tradition.

Information on the first book can be found at Orthodox Psychotherapy

#6 Guest_Pan. Tsiros

Guest_Pan. Tsiros
  • Guests

Posted 23 April 2004 - 01:40 PM

there is a book
Living Orthodoxy in the Modern World
SPCK Great Britain 1996

a chapter written by Dr Jamie Moran
http://www.roehampto...Moran/index.asp

Pan. Tsiros

#7 Effie Ganatsios

Effie Ganatsios

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,725 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 24 April 2004 - 04:42 AM

"When the body, as consisting of many parts, becomes ill, it has the need for various medicines… The soul, on the other hand, being incorporeal, is simple and not complex, and when it becomes ill, only one medicine can help it — that is the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ (St. Simeon the New Theologian)."

My first choice would have to be Metropolitan Hieroth's book which has aleady been mentioned.

A series of articles written by Calil Samra

"a former member of the St. George Parish in Phoenix, Ariz., and presently Flint, Mich., is a former newspaper and magazine reporter who has written extensively on medical and psychiatric topics. He is a former executive director of the Huxley Institute, a psychiatric research foundation in New York City"

can be found at

http://www.antiochia...digal_SonNB.htm

Effie

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users