#1 Annalise

Annalise

Regular Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 07:20 AM

Hello

I am a recent returnee to Orthodoxy and am planning a trip to Greece with my 7-year-old daughter for Easter 2008. Please could someone advise me how we can prepare for this (physically, emotionally, intellectually and spiritually).

Many thanks,
Annalise
(South Africa)

#2 Nicolaj

Nicolaj

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 371 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 05 October 2007 - 12:54 PM

Dear Annalise,

How to prepare depends on what you are planning and hoping to do in Greece. Are you going to make on bathing trip at the seaside, or a more historical trip to the antiques there or something like this. Or maybe a pilgrimage?
Tell something more on what you are planning and the better you will get advices here.

Christos voskrese! Nicolaj

#3 Annalise

Annalise

Regular Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 08:25 AM

Dear Annalise,

How to prepare depends on what you are planning and hoping to do in Greece. Are you going to make on bathing trip at the seaside, or a more historical trip to the antiques there or something like this. Or maybe a pilgrimage?
Tell something more on what you are planning and the better you will get advices here.

Dear Nicolaj

A bit of all three, really! Definitely I want this trip to have spiritual meaning for my daughter and I though.

Annalise

#4 Marianthy

Marianthy

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 02:46 AM

One thing I remember when iving in Greece...during Great Lent even McDonald's had fasting foods...I found this quite funny!

Marianthy

#5 Paul Cowan

Paul Cowan

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 03:57 AM

One thing I remember when iving in Greece...during Great Lent even McDonald's had fasting foods...I found this quite funny!

Marianthy

When in Rome...

#6 Nicolaj

Nicolaj

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 371 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 09:03 AM

Dear Annalise!

Dear Nicolaj

A bit of all three, really! Definitely I want this trip to have spiritual meaning for my daughter and I though.

Annalise

Sorry I totally forgot about your question. The Greek government has an homepage were all interesting goals are listed. I have seen it and it gives short proper and accurate information on interesting monuments, churches and so on.
As my family and myself made such a trip we found out by time that it is more worthy to see less and therefore more intense, but I can imagine that this will be a bit hard after being there not for so long!

#7 Annalise

Annalise

Regular Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 01:04 PM

Thank you Nicolaj. I appreciate your advice. Can you please give me the website you mentioned? I agree with you entirely about not trying to do too much; otherwise you end up rushing through things instead of really experiencing them.
I am going to Athens and then to Syros.
Kind regards,
Annalise

#8 Nicolaj

Nicolaj

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 371 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 03:02 PM

Dear Annalise,

here is the link, it provides loads of information: http://www.gnto.gr/?langID=2

and this one is nice when you know the language: http://www.ecclesia.gr

I hope you can use it.

In Christ, Nicolaj

#9 Nina

Nina

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,149 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 03:27 PM

Thank you Nicolaj. I appreciate your advice. Can you please give me the website you mentioned? I agree with you entirely about not trying to do too much; otherwise you end up rushing through things instead of really experiencing them.
I am going to Athens and then to Syros.
Kind regards,
Annalise

Dear Annalise,

If I would go to Syros now, I would not miss a side trip to Tinos (by boat) where I would visit Panagia of Tinos and venerate the icon Panagia Evangelistria, a miraculous icon, which is belived to have been written by St. Luke the Apostle.

Also near Athens are the relics of Saint Nektarios, a contemporary saint and who is a miracle worker. In a day trip you can go to Aegina, by boat, and visit him.

Both trips are beautiful and so enriching spiritually.

#10 Nina

Nina

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,149 posts

Posted 26 October 2007 - 04:57 AM

Marianthy

When in Rome...

Also when in Portugal:
McD. has the best espresso there. 'Cause they know that the Portuguese will not even approach the store if the espresso is not fab.

Paul, also I have given a new spin to the expression. When in Rome, do as the Greeks do. Not that it will make you more interesting, but there is no difference since the Euro.

#11 Nina

Nina

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,149 posts

Posted 26 October 2007 - 05:32 PM

Dear Annalise,

If I would go to Syros now, I would not miss a side trip to Tinos (by boat) where I would visit Panagia of Tinos and venerate the icon Panagia Evangelistria, a miraculous icon, which is belived to have been written by St. Luke the Apostle.

Also near Athens are the relics of Saint Nektarios, a contemporary saint and who is a miracle worker. In a day trip you can go to Aegina, by boat, and visit him.

Both trips are beautiful and so enriching spiritually.

Dear Annalise, while posting in another thread I just thought of other suggestions about Athens. Visit the Metropolitan Cathedral in Athens which is very beautiful, but also has the relics of Saint Philothei, the patron saint of Athens. Also near by is a little church which is a must-visit, because it is beautiful and old (from Byzantine times). It is the church of Kapnikarea. If you are on a Sunday in Athens, attend a Liturgy there. Chanting is amazing. It is very small church. After Liturgy we used to go for brunch in the small outdoor cafes (if it will be warm weather for you too) around the Cathedral church of Athens. The best Sundays ever! There are many churches in the Plaka neighborhood. Also all over Athens and in the suburbs etc. There are also beautiful monasteries in Athens' suburbs. One highly recommended is that of Saint John the Baptist in Karea. There is an old church there which was set on fire in the times of Ottoman occupation, but it did not really burn. The walls (when I was there last) were still blackened by the attempt to set it on fire, but the church did not fall. :)
There are plenty of things to do in Athens (you will not have time to do everything so you have to choose). Easter in Greece is fabulous. If you have any questions please do not hesitate to ask.

#12 Annalise

Annalise

Regular Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 01:59 PM

Dear Nina

Thank you so much for all the information. I have not been in Greece at Easter before and I am so exited to be going in 2008. I looked up the Panagia of Tinos and read that the icon of Mary in prayer is one of the most venerated items of pilgrimage in Greece and that it has a fascinating history. So thanks again for that advice! As I will only be in Athens for one full day, can you recommend a "must-see" (I have been before and seen the wonderful classical sites and would like this to be a visit that focues on churches, monasteries etc.).

My life has not been too easy in the last 2 or 3 years, but the path I have had to walk down has led me into a far deeper love of Christ and of his empathy which knows no bounds. I know that he walks with me through "the shadow of the valley". I so much want this trip to be meaningful both to myself and my daughter.

Kind regards
Annalise

#13 Nina

Nina

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,149 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 03:28 PM

Dear Nina

As I will only be in Athens for one full day, can you recommend a "must-see" (I have been before and seen the wonderful classical sites and would like this to be a visit that focues on churches, monasteries etc.).

Dear Annalise,

I am so happy you can go to Tinos! Please even if you can not see all there is, it is ok because Greece is filled, thank God and glory to Him, with churches, monasteries and chapels in every street corner. So you will have the opportunity to visit many churches, even if you do not plan and create your own impressions and beautiful memories.

Is the day when you are in Athens a Sunday? Is it Holy Week? Is it the Bright Week? All these you must take into account when you plan. And maybe email, or call places where you plan to go because they will give you the most recent schedule and tips to know before you go.

I can not pick and choose a must see from churches in Athens. They are all beautiful and dedicated to our God and to dearest saints, or Panagia. Research and see what attracts you from the churches in Athens. The churches in Plaka and Monastiraki are also beautiful, but also it depends when you go (week, weekend, Holy Week) and what you like (plenty of people, some, or none).

The monastery I told you above which is in Kareas and dedicated to Saint John the Baptist, is worthy a visit because it is not far from Athens (you can see Athens from the hill of the monastery) and it is quiet and the sisters are wonderful. The church and the grounds are beautiful and they have a beautiful church store. If you decide to go, maybe you can call, or email them. They have a website on line. Please let me know if you can not find it. Maybe also you can contact the nuns there and ask them for suggestions for monasteries and churches.

There is also an icon in Athens which is 'The Virgin Mary Grigorussa' in Monastiraki neighborhood of Athens (near the Roman Agora and Adrian Library). The church is dedicated to the Archangels and it was first built in the 9th century, but it was destroyed by fire during Turkish occupation. And it was reconstructed during the last century I think. The icon Grigorussa there is visited by many pilgrims and it offers quick healing for human illnesses/suffering. That church I think supports one of the orphanages in Athens, like most of the churches that support different ministries there.

In the evening if it is warm and you do not feel tired maybe you can go the hill of Aeropagos. It might be fun for your daughter to go up the stairs there because they are slippery (from centuries of steps and myriads of people going up those ancient stone stairs) and most people try with feet and hands to go up at the top (there are not many stairs). From there you can have beautiful views of Acropolis and other sites with lights that change in intervals (Acropolis). If it is clear night the stars are beautiful. It is not a church but thinking that one of the most beloved Saints (Saint Dionisus the Aeropagite) was there and spoke etc. it is just so delightful.

Have fun planing this blessed trip!

#14 Marianthy

Marianthy

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 01 November 2007 - 11:18 AM

Here is the link to Monastery's website....quite beautiful!

http://www.imaik.gr/.../en_history.htm

There is nothing like Easter in Greece...I miss spending Pascha there. Hopefully if it His will I will have the opportunity to be there again during this very holy and special season.

#15 Annalise

Annalise

Regular Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 01 November 2007 - 11:31 AM

Thanks Marianthy. The pictures show that this monastery is beautifully stark yet warm and ornately decorated yet with a profound simplicity: very Greek!

#16 Olympiada

Olympiada

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 08 November 2007 - 11:56 PM

Hello

I am a recent returnee to Orthodoxy and am planning a trip to Greece with my 7-year-old daughter for Easter 2008. Please could someone advise me how we can prepare for this (physically, emotionally, intellectually and spiritually).

Many thanks,
Annalise
(South Africa)

I would advise against taking a trip like that as a single/divorced mother with a young child.

#17 Nina

Nina

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,149 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 06:32 PM

I would advise against taking a trip like that as a single/divorced mother with a young child.

Why do you advise this, please?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users