#1 Lakis Papas

Lakis Papas

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 615 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 13 November 2013 - 11:37 AM

Saint Chrysostom (which is celebrated today) has elaborated on a number of issues, theological, social, political, historical and philosophical. He processed the issues with originality of thinking and accuracy. In his speech "Homily 20 on Ephesians" I have found the following quotation regarding the proper behaviour of a husband (regarding his wife): 

"Show her too, that you set a high value on her company, and that you are more desirous to be at home for her sake, than in the market-place. And esteem her before all your friends, and above the children that are born of her, and let these very children be beloved by you for her sake."

I think that's amazing originality in the talk of St. Chrysostom. In it not only encourages men to put their wives to the highest position as the most precious treasure, but dares to say: "and above the children that are born of her, and let these very children be beloved by you for her sake." His suggestion, that fatherly love must be emanated from the relationship of the father with his wife, is a sign that the patristic anthropology is beyond conventional and scientific predicates. Church Fathers illuminate each issue highlighting a dimension that goes beyond the social and secular experience thus opening new horizons. 

Edited by Lakis Papas, 13 November 2013 - 11:39 AM.

#2 Alice

Alice

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 673 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 13 November 2013 - 02:38 PM

Beautiful pericope, dear Laki.

I am not a father or a husband, so I am wondering how this applies to the love which father feels for his children. In other words, can there be less love for children when a husband/father does not love and/or respect his wife? Does this perhaps apply to how divorced fathers feel for their children?

When St. John Chrysostom (may he intercede for us today) says to prefer the wife to the marketplace, this is definitely a historical and contextual admonition. I still remember how Greek men pre 1980's loved hanging out with their peers and how women seemed a bit second class in their world. Of course, this was centuries and centuries later, but much probably had not changed since then.

Ofcourse, most women, throughout history, did not work outside the home until the past few decades and were, on the most part, at home most of the time tending to the children and the house. A woman working outside the house would have been a source of shame in times past. Of course women would be upset at their husbands not spending time at home with them! Even today, not much has changed in that department!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users