#1 Paul Cowan

Paul Cowan

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 17 October 2007 - 05:17 AM

After you have registered, you may configure a 'signature'. This is a piece of text that you would like to be inserted at the end of all your posts, a little like having headed note paper.

Signatures are not enabled in all parts of the Monachos.net Discussion Community. Where the administrator has enabled signatures, you will have the option to include your signature on any posts you make. If you have specified a signature, the forum will automatically append your signature to any messages you post. You can disable signatures on a per-post basis by un-ticking the 'Show Signature' checkbox when you compose your message.

You may turn the signature on and off on posts you have already made by editing the post and altering the state of the 'Show Signature' option.

You can set your signature by editing your profile.

I looked all over my profile and did not see this option. How might I add a signature to my posts? Thanks

Nor did I see the "show signature" option.
Paul

#2 M.C. Steenberg

M.C. Steenberg

Former Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,843 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 07:37 AM

Dear Paul, you wrote:

I looked all over my profile and did not see this option. How might I add a signature to my posts? Thanks

Nor did I see the "show signature" option.
Paul

Actually, we've never in fact turned this option on -- partially because every post on a forum ending with members' 'tag lines' can get fairly annoying and cluttered looking. I'm personally not at all a fan of post-signatures; but if others feel differently...

INXC, Dcn Matthew

#3 Paul Cowan

Paul Cowan

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 12:48 AM

Actually, we've never in fact turned this option on -- partially because every post on a forum ending with members' 'tag lines' can get fairly annoying and cluttered looking. I'm personally not at all a fan of post-signatures; but if others feel differently...

INXC, Dcn Matthew

No, that's ok, I just did not realize you and Fr. David and others who use the exact same signature typed them in every time. There is never a variation so I assumed it was an automatic thing.

#4 Joshua G.

Joshua G.

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 07:03 PM

Father Deacon,

Could this option be turned on? personally, I am not a fan of cliche bumper-sticker signatures like "Proclaiming the truth since A.D. 33" and so on. In fact, in another forum, I used the option that allows me to NOT see other signatures.

But, for the reasons I emailed you, it would beneficial for me and would not be used to indoctrinate others through repetative messaging. lol

Maybe you could limit the signature to 10 letters?

If you can't limit letters, perhaps you are right in not turning it on so as to avoid cheesy quips and such.

Joshua

#5 Nina

Nina

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,149 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 10:46 PM

Voting against signatures. In Christ, is sufficient.

#6 D. W. Dickens

D. W. Dickens

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 03:20 AM

Definitely against.

I'm not even sure why people put their name on the end of the post as your name appears in the header of the post. There's already way too much noise in the noise to signal when I read posts on Monachos. We don't need more.

#7 Joshua G.

Joshua G.

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 03:24 AM

Well, I am really looking to use the signature for just that... a signature. No cheesy line. Just Joshua. I've never understood why people used signatures for anything other than a signature or why they are allowed to be so long. That's why I suggested limiting it.

Oh well, it's not a big deal.

By the way, in another forum, I actually turn off the signatures so I can't see them becuase no one uses them as signatures and I get tired of the "Got Orthodox?" or other faddy lines.

Joshua

#8 Joshua G.

Joshua G.

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 03:26 AM

Definitely against.

I'm not even sure why people put their name on the end of the post as your name appears in the header of the post. There's already way too much noise in the noise to signal when I read posts on Monachos. We don't need more.

Hmmm... I'm not sure why I never thought of that. lol You're right. Thanks.

#9 Nina

Nina

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,149 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 04:48 AM

Definitely against.

Essatamente.

#10 Fr Raphael Vereshack

Fr Raphael Vereshack

• Moderators
  • 4,420 posts
  • Verified Monastic Cleric

Posted 06 March 2009 - 01:45 PM

For those of us who grew up writing letters the signature at the bottom was what attested that the communication was personal. This is why I still instinctively use a signature even on the internet.

To me the names on the headers are like impersonal road signs: "Bill lives here". They aren't personal because they aren't added by the person who actually composes the message. To me a signature does give a different & more personal feel to the post.

In Christ- Fr Raphael

#11 D. W. Dickens

D. W. Dickens

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 03:20 PM

I will say this, I have far too often stripped communication to is bare necessities. Like my previous minimalist Christianity, I do wonder if I shouldn't be more interested in a maximalist approach to communication, even on the internet.

I'm not saying the internet is bad (it is a tool) but it has ... encouraged ... a less than full expression of communication over the last 18 years. A polite word of ending perhaps pushes back that tendency. But typing it is definitely the point, not just including sig-files.

-a slothful man

#12 M.C. Steenberg

M.C. Steenberg

Former Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,843 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 08:50 AM

Dear friends,

Thank you for the constructive comments. I think we shall not, however, turn on the signature function (for those who are curious: this is a function, found in many fora, whereby you can configure a 'signature' or 'tag-line' in your profile, which is automatically appended to all your posts - which many people use to put a witty comment, a verse, a saying, etc.). We made a conscientious choice when we started this forum that we would avoid such things (as also avatars on posts, also very common elsewhere), as part of our aim to make this a forum centred on concrete, thoughtful discussion of our specific topics, rather than just a forum for friendly banter. These little things do contribute to the overall feel of a place.

But this is quite different from actually 'signing' your posts - i.e. writing, 'From, So-and-so' at the end, when you've finished your message - which is not a feature or function, but simply a habit of etiquette in writing. This is a matter of personal preference; but I do think it retains something of the respect and decorum of polite conversation when writings in correspondence (even public/open correspondence) begin with a greeting, and end with a personal form, added personally. Discussions - at least the type we try to foster here - are not simply bursts of raw data, thrown out into the aether with minimal personal elements; they are the engagements of people with one another in thought, prayer, reflection and dialogue. Remembering this, even if by little things such as our manual writing of 'Dear so-and so' and 'In Christ, so-and-so', helps draw us away from the temptation of using fora as soapboxes just to share our own whims uni-directionally, and into the reality of writing as persons, to and with other persons.

INXC, Dcn Matthew

#13 Joshua G.

Joshua G.

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 02:28 PM

Just to clarify, the only reason I wanted it was because I kept signing my posts under a pseudonym by accident (only realizing much later my mistake), a pseudonym I used to use but would rather not have my real name connected to for several reasons, part of that being that I used to be more outspoken than I should have been, since I was completely anonymous.

This forum's rules about using real names was at first a bit of a burden but now I realize it makes me more charitable, more willing to listen and learn and less... like an unreasoning animal. It also makes me less likely to gossip.

So, rather than burden Father Deacon Matthew with correcting my posts' false signatures due to past habits, I simply wished to use the signature line as... just that, a signature line (any other use -witty comment, etc- would be an abuse of such a feature per its name. Am I mistaken? Otherwise it would be called a "tagline".).

In the end, I agree with the decision (not that it matters) because it would probably be used more as a tagline and for that very reason, in another forum, I have made it so I cannot see other people's signatures... or avatars.

God bless,

Joshua

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users