#1 Brad D.

Brad D.

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 244 posts
  • Guest from Another Religious Tradition

Posted 13 November 2013 - 03:02 PM

When Evagrius talks about True Prayer, and about his own prayer life, do you think he used a prayer rule, such as is in our prayer books?  My sense is, certainly not...but I cannot base that off of anything concrete, as I have not read his writings anything near exhaustively.

Brad

#2 Herman Blaydoe

Herman Blaydoe

• Moderators
  • 4,157 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 13 November 2013 - 06:49 PM

Jesus had a rule of prayer, that of Israel; the Psalms. 

Evening and morning and at noon I will pray, and cry aloud, And He shall hear my voice. (Psalm 55:17)

That looks like a rule of prayer.

#3 Brad D.

Brad D.

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 244 posts
  • Guest from Another Religious Tradition

Posted 13 November 2013 - 09:43 PM

Don't misread my sentiment, I use a prayer rule and encourage people to do so.  However obviously that is not the only method for prayer, and I tend to think perhaps Evagrius may not have been referring to a rule of prayer...

#4 Herman Blaydoe

Herman Blaydoe

• Moderators
  • 4,157 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 13 November 2013 - 11:09 PM

If you say regular prayers in a regular pattern, that is a prayer rule, even if the prayers are not read out of a book. The use of the Psalms is documented from time immemorial.

Some people have to exercise on a regular basis because their lives are otherwise somewhat sedentary. Other people get all the exercise they need by the life they lead, but both exert themselves. Yes there is more than one way to exert oneself.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users