#1 Fr Raphael Vereshack

Fr Raphael Vereshack

• Moderators
  • 4,420 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member
  • Verified Monastic Cleric

Posted 22 October 2007 - 01:01 PM

Dear All,

Is anyone else having a problem with the way the Monachos forum pages are loading on the Firefox browser?

Suddenly this morning the Monachos side menu bar appears on top of the forum pages (at the top left of the page) when the Firefox sidebar is open. It's as if the Firefox sidebar is 'pushing over' to the right the Monachos menu bar.

Of course an easy way to solve the problem is simply by closing the Firefox sidebar. Then the Monachos bar jumps back into its place.

But I'm wondering since this never happened before whether this is a new bug in either the Monachos pages or in Firefox?

In Christ- Fr Raphael

#2 Rick H.

Rick H.

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,231 posts

Posted 22 October 2007 - 01:03 PM

I'm having the same problem that you describe. (I have Internet Explorer)

#3 Father David Moser

Father David Moser

• Moderators
  • 3,581 posts
  • Verified Cleric

Posted 22 October 2007 - 01:37 PM

I'm not seeing this at all in Firefox.

Fr David Moser

#4 Karena Hryniuk

Karena Hryniuk

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 22 October 2007 - 01:41 PM

same here

My side bar has been muttled up since yesterday, I have firefox as well. Also...everything on the muttled up side bar is different. No more Message Boards tab on the left and 'Community' in its place.

Maybe this was a posted change that I missed but still looks funny :confused:

#5 Fr Raphael Vereshack

Fr Raphael Vereshack

• Moderators
  • 4,420 posts

Posted 22 October 2007 - 01:55 PM

I'm not seeing this at all in Firefox.

Fr David Moser

It only happens if you have the sidebar open in Firefox or the explorer bar open in IE (look under View on the tool bar).

Also this problem only seems to occur on the Forum pages, not the Monachos home or other pages.

In Christ- Fr Raphael
PS: The problem is only apparent if you are at the top of the page. Then look to the left.

#6 Michael Stickles

Michael Stickles

• Moderators
  • 1,438 posts

Posted 22 October 2007 - 02:22 PM

It's probably a screen sizing issue.

I opened a sidebar (explorer bar) in Internet Explorer with a Monachos forum page up, and the Monachos side menu still looked normal. BUT, when I started making the explorer bar wider so that it shrank the Monachos side of the page, eventually the column with the posts in it hit a minimum size and the menu bar started getting "shoved out" over top of it.

That gave me the idea of changing my screen resolution. I normally have it set to 1280x1024. When I dropped it to 1024x768, I saw exactly what Fr. Raphael noticed.

If this wasn't happening before, it might be that something has changed in the Monachos style sheets, maybe a column minimum width setting or something like that.

In Christ,
Mike

#7 Michael Stickles

Michael Stickles

• Moderators
  • 1,438 posts

Posted 22 October 2007 - 02:26 PM

In the 2 minutes since I made my last post, the behavior has changed. Now, if I expand the explorer bar, the Monachos menu doesn't stick out; instead, once the central column hits minimum size, the right-hand column (where the number of new posts and the ads are) gets shoved off-screen.

#8 Fr Raphael Vereshack

Fr Raphael Vereshack

• Moderators
  • 4,420 posts

Posted 22 October 2007 - 02:34 PM

In the 2 minutes since I made my last post, the behavior has changed. Now, if I expand the explorer bar, the Monachos menu doesn't stick out; instead, once the central column hits minimum size, the right-hand column (where the number of new posts and the ads are) gets shoved off-screen.

Same here. The forum must be having a bad page day.

#9 Paul Cowan

Paul Cowan

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 23 October 2007 - 03:10 AM

It's 13 hours later. I use IE and all seems well.

#10 Fr Raphael Vereshack

Fr Raphael Vereshack

• Moderators
  • 4,420 posts

Posted 23 October 2007 - 01:26 PM

So far it's alright today.

In Christ- Fr Raphael

#11 Paul Cowan

Paul Cowan

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 08 March 2008 - 09:32 PM

I am experiencing a new type of phenomone. (sp)

When I click on a thread to show the last read post the thread loads and immediatley jumps to the first or to an earlier post and within 1/2 second it reopens on the correct "last" read post.

I am attributing this to the header graphic currently promoting "At the Threshold of the Fast" as this has only been happening since these header graphics have appeared. (This is not a complaint for having them. I appreciate them being there as I read them all.)

Is anyone else experienceing the "jumping screen"?

Paul

Edited by Paul Cowan, 08 March 2008 - 09:46 PM.
spelling

#12 Father David Moser

Father David Moser

• Moderators
  • 3,581 posts
  • Verified Cleric

Posted 08 March 2008 - 09:45 PM

Is anyone else experienceing the "jumping sreen"?

Paul

I have the same thing - I attribute it to a slow processor speed or something as this is what has always been happening, but before I didn't see it. You may be onto something with the appearance of the header as it is just one more thing that has to load and so may slow the process down enough to see what is happening.

Fr David Moser

#13 M.C. Steenberg

M.C. Steenberg

Former Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,843 posts

Posted 08 March 2008 - 11:11 PM

How very puzzling.... I have just looked at things in both browsers on my computer, and without any problems. None of the coding of the forum has changed in the past weeks, so thatcannot be the issue.

If anyone who is experiencing these issues has technical know-how and could pass along some concrete details to me (perhaps including screen-shots of the affected pages), I'd be grateful and can have the matter looked into.

INXC, Dcn Matthew

#14 Max Percy

Max Percy

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 08 March 2008 - 11:13 PM

Dear All,

Is anyone else having a problem with the way the Monachos forum pages are loading on the Firefox browser?

Suddenly this morning the Monachos side menu bar appears on top of the forum pages (at the top left of the page) when the Firefox sidebar is open. It's as if the Firefox sidebar is 'pushing over' to the right the Monachos menu bar.

Of course an easy way to solve the problem is simply by closing the Firefox sidebar. Then the Monachos bar jumps back into its place.

But I'm wondering since this never happened before whether this is a new bug in either the Monachos pages or in Firefox?

In Christ- Fr Raphael

I use firefox and so far have had no problem

#15 Michael Stickles

Michael Stickles

• Moderators
  • 1,438 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 01:33 AM

I am experiencing a new type of phenomone. (sp)

When I click on a thread to show the last read post the thread loads and immediatley jumps to the first or to an earlier post and within 1/2 second it reopens on the correct "last" read post.

I am attributing this to the header graphic currently promoting "At the Threshold of the Fast" as this has only been happening since these header graphics have appeared. (This is not a complaint for having them. I appreciate them being there as I read them all.)

Is anyone else experienceing the "jumping screen"?

Paul

The "jump" should occur when the page has loaded far enough for the browser to find the tag referenced in the URL. For example, when I opened the "Forgiveness Sunday" thread the URL reads:

ht tp : //www.monachos.net/forum/showthread.php?p=61143#post61143

(the spaces are to keep it from making a link) Buried in the HTML code for the page is the following tag:

<a name="post61143">

Once the page loads to that point the browser view should jump down to it. If it takes a long time, that's due to a slow-loading page, which might be due to page content (lots of stuff to load before that point), slow processing on your computer, or just a slow internet connection.

I used to see this problem, but not as much anymore. I'm sure that's because my internet connection is more consistently good than it used to be.

Mike

#16 Paul Cowan

Paul Cowan

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 01:46 AM

which might be due to page content (lots of stuff to load before that point),

This must be it although some pages only have 10 posts and still do this. Leah just bought this new fancy 2008 model contraption with all the bells and whistles and I know I am paying out the nose for internet connection so I am hoping it is on the server end. I will be most upset with Best Buy if it is on my end.

PC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users