#1 Andrew

Andrew

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 23 October 2007 - 06:30 PM

I have some questions about him...

Is he still living? Are any biographies on him available in English? Has anyone on this message board ever met him?

#2 Father Serafim

Father Serafim

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 23 October 2007 - 06:52 PM

I have some questions about him...

Is he still living? Are any biographies on him available in English? Has anyone on this message board ever met him?

I stayed with Elder Joseph when he lived at the Nea Skete. Later I saw him for a brief moment at Iveron. He hardly spoke but was most courteous and hospitable. I can't pass on any gems of wisdom.

#3 M.C. Steenberg

M.C. Steenberg

Former Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,843 posts

Posted 23 October 2007 - 08:02 PM

Dear Andrew, you wrote:

I met him while staying at Vatopaidi for a month around four years ago - and, needless to say, he was at that time still very much alive. As I've not heard of his death, I can only presume he is still living.

INXC, dcn Matthew

#4 Nina

Nina

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,149 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 03:23 PM

I heard today that Elder Joseph of Vatopedi passed away. I also heard that today is also his birthday (although I did not read a biography). His funeral is at 6PM in Mount Athos. Kalo Paradiso Agie Geronda! May we have his blessings and prayers!

#5 Nina

Nina

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,149 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 03:34 AM

Elder Joseph of Vatopedi in one talk from August 2007, posted on youtube, said 'great temptations are coming but do not be afraid. Pray.' Also he called television instead of tileorasi which is Greek for television, he called it tilekolasi which means telehell.

#6 Andrew

Andrew

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 02:48 PM

Memory Eternal!

#7 Alice

Alice

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 673 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 02 July 2009 - 04:36 PM

Elder Joseph of Vatopedi in one talk from August 2007, posted on youtube, said 'great temptations are coming but do not be afraid. Pray.' Also he called television instead of tileorasi which is Greek for television, he called it tilekolasi which means telehell.

A very cute and factual pun!!!

I like puns and Greek lends itself well to word puns--there was a time when Olympic Airlines was not the best airline around, and someone we knew, instead of calling it in Greek: Olympiaki Aeroporia (which means Olympic Airlines) called it Olympiaki Taleporia (Olympic hardship)! *wink*

Alice

May the memory of Elder Joseph be eternal to God!!

#8 Nina

Nina

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,149 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 07:27 PM

With the tears he shed and all other things he did for his theosis, I am positive that his memory will be eternal.

#9 Vasiliki D.

Vasiliki D.

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 03 July 2009 - 02:21 AM

I am in shock ... I hadnt read this post yesterday. May His memory be eternal but most of all may the holy Geronta pray for us ... his tears were valuable for the peace of Greece and for all of Orthodoxy may they continue in abundance for us now that he has rest with God.

Oh, that must mean the prophecy relating to Elder Joseph has been fulfilled ... Nina, you know more than anyone much about our Church in Greece ... can you confirm this?

#10 Nina

Nina

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,149 posts

Posted 03 July 2009 - 05:13 AM

Link to article about the funeral of Geronda Joseph. It is in Greek, but there are photos.

#11 Effie Ganatsios

Effie Ganatsios

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,725 posts

Posted 03 July 2009 - 07:45 AM

This is a link to a talk Elder Joseph gave on God's love and repentance.

http://www.johnsanid...-speaks-of.html

I just searched my library and found that I have his book "Elder Joseph the (H)Esychast." Elder Joseph of Vatopedi was a member of Elder Joseph's brotherhood until the Elder's repose in 1959. After living as a hermit and later as the elder of a brotherhood in New Skete on the Holy Mountain, Elder Joseph became the spiritual elder of the Monastery of Vatopaidi.

Does anyone have a link to Elder Joseph of Vatopedi's writings on the Internet?

Effie

The funeral of Elder Joseph

http://www.johnsanid...-joseph-of.html

#12 Nina

Nina

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,149 posts

Posted 03 July 2009 - 05:35 PM

Oh, that must mean the prophecy relating to Elder Joseph has been fulfilled ... Nina, you know more than anyone much about our Church in Greece ... can you confirm this?

VV, I do not know about this prophecy and most I do not know anything about Church in Greece. Sorry. Maybe there is someone else here who can.

Effie, I am glad you found this link in English.

#13 Alice

Alice

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 673 posts

Posted 04 July 2009 - 08:05 AM

'great temptations are coming but do not be afraid. Pray.'

Please, Nina or Vasiliki, could you please clarify the word 'temptation' in this context. Does it mean 'temptation to sin', or does it mean 'trials' (dokimasies)...

Thank you.

Alice

#14 Nina

Nina

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,149 posts

Posted 05 July 2009 - 12:58 AM

Please, Nina or Vasiliki, could you please clarify the word 'temptation' in this context. Does it mean 'temptation to sin', or does it mean 'trials' (dokimasies)...

Thank you.

Alice

I will post the videos so you can judge for yourself Alice.

YouTube - ερχονται μεγάλοι πειρασμοί μέρος 1ο

YouTube - ερχονται μεγάλοι πειρασμοί μέρος 2ο

#15 Nina

Nina

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,149 posts

Posted 05 July 2009 - 01:02 AM

http://www.impantokr...D2A12EF.en.aspx

#16 Mediterranean

Mediterranean

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 09:36 PM

Memory Eternal!

Icon of the Theotokos and Elder Joseph of Vatopedi:

http://img188.images...dscn7870pgf.jpg

#17 Nina

Nina

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,149 posts

Posted 11 July 2009 - 08:37 PM

I just received an email with an youtube video telling the story of the smile of the departed Geronda Joseph. It is told that Geronda did not smile at the moment of his departure. He smiled afterward. It is in Greek only...

YouTube - Το Χαμόγελο του Γέροντος Ιωσήφ Βατοπαιδινού

#18 Athanasia

Athanasia

Junior Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 11 July 2009 - 11:58 PM

I just received an email with an youtube video telling the story of the smile of the departed Geronda Joseph. It is told that Geronda did not smile at the moment of his departure. He smiled afterward. It is in Greek only...

Nina, would you be willing to translate this to English for all of us non-Greek speakers?

Or is there someone here who can translate this?

Athanasia

#19 Nina

Nina

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,149 posts

Posted 12 July 2009 - 12:37 AM

Nina, would you be willing to translate this to English for all of us non-Greek speakers?

Or is there someone here who can translate this?

Athanasia

Dear Athanasia I will try to summarize in a few words the meaning. The story is that two monks who were with Elder Joseph to the end said that when he departed he was in the first state like the photos show. No smile and his mouth is half opened. So they notified Elder Ephraim and when the Elder came he said that they should leave his face uncovered. But the two monks were saying that he doesn't look good with his mouth half opened. But they obeyed to the Elder. When they prepared the body they tried to close the half opened mouth and it closed but then it opened again (because it was like 45 min after departure and it was late to close it they say). So they started to sew the Elder's body in the monastic dress that would be his last. This was when the photo shows the entire body of the Elder covered with the black fabric and the monks sewing it. So it has passed about 90 minutes total after the departure of Elder Joseph and they prepared to cut the robe around his face as Elder Ephraim had said. When they cut it Elder Joseph was smiling!!! Not only with his lips but the entire face and eyes. The video said maybe this was the favor the Elder granted after he heard them so they do not get sad, or maybe it was the smile after the Elder saw where he was and to give us an idea about the beauties of the future life. In any case this smile was a consolation for all of them.

#20 Athanasia

Athanasia

Junior Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 12 July 2009 - 01:25 AM

Thank you Nina.

~Athanasia~

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users